Madison Scouts 1997- The Pirates of Lake Mendota

Okay, you got me - this is a show that would not have been nearly as powerful without the guard.

The sword fight on top of the rotating drum rack, and the lead pirate sticking his sword in the ground and taking a bow in front of the company front are two of my favorite moments in drum corps, period.

Great great great show - Madison needs to consider exploring this style of performance again.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I vote that we do part of the Pirate show in 2013 for the Madison Scouts 75th Anniversay Corps!

I'm in!!!

Oh wait.

::counting on his fingers::

Whew. OK. I'll still be under 60 years old.

I'm in!!!

All kidding aside, my favorite Scouts shows from after I marched are 1988, 1997, and 1999. That Pirate show was awesome.

Lord, I was thinking of this show just a few days ago. When I watched it on the finals telecast, I alternated yelling "This is so freaking cool" and "WTF?!?"

I think I said both simultaneously when the swordfight on the drum rack started, and then they started spinning the drum rack---awesome.

At times, I got the impression that the design team spent an entire night drinking, watching Captain BLood and The Sea Wolf, and going "Wouldn't it be cool if . . ." . . .and then we could . . ."

Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to that show in the future B)

Beat you to that suggestion--music of "Pirates of the Caribbean," anybody? Good stuff. Great drum potential. Might have to add girls to the guard since the chick becomes a Pirate in the upcoming third movie. Great series of movies--making a ton of cash!

And Taras totally kicked that closer's ###!!!!! The closer is one of the meanest, most intense pieces of music I've ever seen performed on a field...much less being an original work by a staff member. Everything about that show was amazing...from the drunk pirates, to the shipwreck, to the mutiny. Incredible, incredible stuff. I've been fantasizing for awhile now about the Scouts doing another pirate show. Considering the amount of fantastic material from the two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, they could have another superb classic show on their hands!!

Yeah, been thinking the same thing...see above. Good call! Maybe we should collaborate. Got a uniform design, too. Something tells me the fans/alum/members wouldn't mind seeing something this exciting done. Would have to be rated...aarghh!!

Being in the crowd that night was ridiculous. Nothing like hearing somebody jumping up and down on the bleachers and yelling like a crazy person....then realizing it's you.

That stadium went berserk during the hold and just kept rocking all the way through the end and until the corps was off the field. Amazing.

I loved the fact that when we were holding the 30+ second chord, it seemed like a fist fight between the hornline and the screaming, we got louder, crowd got louder, we got louder, crowd got....you get the picture!

This thread takes me back.

Isn't it great to listen to that show...and anticipate the crowd explosion after the last note is played...so that you can pull the headphones away from the ears a bit cuz it hurts too much. DAT...DAT.. DADADADAT! *AHHHHHHHHH* (in true hrothgar style :))