The history of the Westshoremen

Still not done with 82, MUCH to discuss.

As for 84- remember I came to one practice early on invite, but I was so busy at WCU and more or less tired and frustrated. My car had fuel filter problems so I couldn't get to the one big meeting to decide what would happen at that point, heard the corps went under, got the call in early July after Carlisle from Dan Bowman, the rest is history.

Just got done talking to NCPD, have to go to work! Have one more lead on my missing slot cars! All be well!

Still not done with 82, MUCH to discuss.

As for 84- remember I came to one practice early on invite, but I was so busy at WCU and more or less tired and frustrated. My car had fuel filter problems so I couldn't get to the one big meeting to decide what would happen at that point, heard the corps went under, got the call in early July after Carlisle from Dan Bowman, the rest is history.

Just got done talking to NCPD, have to go to work! Have one more lead on my missing slot cars! All be well!

As I figured...

I have a lot on 84 myself already committed to (electronic) paper....I worked on that during a lull in school work this past summer. I figure with how my mind comes and goes, it's better to start putting thoughts together, and let them 'gestate' a little while. (and some of it's not so nice, so I wanted to make sure efore I just typed something and walked away from it) :blink:

Good news on the cars!

Edited by Jaminbenb

I think the only real ring chasers we had in 96 were alumni who came back for one more run after the sucess of 95...going from legally deadin October to 2nd at DCA. Corps wide, the majority of new faces were kids, and when I look at the photo from 95 to 96, there aren't that many new faces

I have thought about this for many years, after 1996. "Was I a ring chaser?" (asking myself that question). Sandy's EXACT words to me in 1995: "You need to be with us (The Brothers) next year". "We need all of us there". (I was in Kilties in 1995) Irv was not going to play in 1996. (Sandy said this at the Cumberland show in 1995. I was there with the Kilties) I'm sure that Sandy, Dave and Irv used all my equipment with Westshore in 1995, because I wasn't using it with Kilties. Anyway... I was a ring chaser. I was a ring chaser in 1987 with Steel City, as well. But it rained. No ring that season. The difference between me and those 3 people Big W mentioned is this: I have always been a team player. Not a leader, but a follower. Hell, I couldn't successfully "lead" my way out of a paper bag! However, I ROCK at "following". I had spent so much money from 1986 to 1996, driving rediculous distances, ferrying passengers in a succession of three minivans. When I added up the expenses over those ten years, it was an obscene amount of money! I'm not complaining though. I enjoyed every minute of it and have a lifetime of stories. I spent four years with Ohio Brass Factory, sitting in the stands every one of those years, eating a hot dog and watching finals. (Those were what I like to call, my "education" years.) So feel free to call me a ring chaser. I won't deny it. LOL!

Edited by hairbear

I have thought about this for many years, after 1996. "Was I a ring chaser?" (asking myself that question). Sandy's EXACT words to me in 1995: "You need to be with us (The Brothers) next year". "We need all of us there". (I was in Kilties in 1995) Irv was not going to play in 1996. (Sandy said this at the Cumberland show in 1995. I was there with the Kilties) I'm sure that Sandy, Dave and Irv used all my equipment with Westshore in 1995, because I wasn't using it with Kilties. Anyway... I was a ring chaser. I was a ring chaser in 1987 with Steel City, as well. But it rained. No ring that season. The difference between me and those 3 people Big W mentioned is this: I have always been a team player. Not a leader, but a follower. Hell, I couldn't successfully "lead" my way out of a paper bag! However, I ROCK at "following". I had spent so much money from 1986 to 1996, driving rediculous distances, ferrying passengers in a succession of three minivans. When I added up the expenses over those ten years, it was an obscene amount of money! I'm not complaining though. I enjoyed every minute of it and have a lifetime of stories. I spent four years with Ohio Brass Factory, sitting in the stands every one of those years, eating a hot dog and watching finals. (Those were what I like to call, my "education" years.) So feel free to call me a ring chaser. I won't deny it. LOL!

At least you contributed! And contributed with TALENT! Some of these other people were fodder! :thumbdown:

You guys had a pretty solid staff in those years, too....we had some oddities. :blink:

oh, you never saw Dan and Arientano go at it, with terry Martin sitting there egging them on!

:shutup:

you may not know this but the battery had not one tech that wasn't marching.

As I figured...

I have a lot on 84 myself already committed to (electronic) paper....I worked on that during a lull in school work this past summer. I figure with how my mind comes and goes, it's better to start putting thoughts together, and let them 'gestate' a little while. (and some of it's not so nice, so I wanted to make sure efore I just typed something and walked away from it) :blink:

Good news on the cars!

I guess i better put 88 on on paper because til we get there, i won't remember anything including my name

We never considered you one of them Steve. I mean from where you were, you could go either direction. You came back because the family called you, whereas others who sat out for 4-6 years dragged their ### up to Scranton for 95 finals after hearing the buzz, saw us get 2nd, and decided it was time to see if we could win the big one finally.

I will tell you this...when I show people my 96 autographed drum head, your sig is the one most people are drawn to:

"HairBear 68-96"

Hair, I didn't follow corps from 93-03 except for buying the DCA recordings until they lost my address in the late 90s. Only way I knew the corps won DCA was the announcement "the DCA Champions... Westshoremen" on the record --> :blink:

Anyway, buy the Alumni DVD in 2004 and see the 1996 vid for the first time. Few seconds in I'm going "####, that's the guy from Steel City (IOW Sandy) ... WTH?!" Now I know the history and have met Sandy (RIP), you and Eugene a few times and you guys were (and still are) part of my old corps.

And man I'll tell you and everyone else.... I started when we were come back from being inactive and we kind of (kind of?) sucked for a while. Just a mind blower that a corps that restarted that badly became one that people want to travel far distances to be a part of. Hell half my fun watching WSM Alumni is picking out the guys who flew in or drove 10 hours to play. LOL, makes the 74-75 pain all worth while.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

oh, you never saw Dan and Arientano go at it, with terry Martin sitting there egging them on!

:shutup:

you may not know this but the battery had not one tech that wasn't marching.

I don't mean clashing personalities or anything like that as far as oddities...I mean in 83 we had a rotating drum staff for the whole beginning of the year. We never knew who was in charge, or which was was up. (when he showed up was a gamble) I'll go on record saying that the 83 horns had a little more consistency, sonically, I think we marched fairly decent, and we had the talented transient guard members as usual, but the drumline was what screwed the corps up, and I mainly blame the (original) drum instructor!

I know I'm getting ahead of our game here, but when you start out with a drum instructor that just revamps the opener a little since we didn't change much, Starts with ONE drum solo and never develops it into anything (and therefore the two guys that came in after him had to literally make something up with what WAS there, and tie it together) Have Santa Clara Vanguards drum instructor write one number, have a "concert" number that is basically a partial snare book, with some VERY erratic tom parts and God knows what else on paper (where we were still learning the parts at the second of third show) And an exit where we had the same parts from the year prior. No involvement from him. We were learning parts well into the season where we usually had it all down during "concert" season... I just hope he never got paid! :thumbdown:

I DO give credit to Billy and Brian for pulling it all together, but it was just too late in the game for that YOUNG drumline to recover!

I'd take clashing personalities over pure and utter neglect!

Hey Ben, was that the solo with Billy Joels "The Entertainer" in it? I remember standing by some drummers in 84 or 85 listening to a WSM recording and heard:

New guy: "Wow, that sounds great"

Older guy: "Yeah, what it 2 weeks before DCA we finally got it to work?"

2nd older guy: "Think so, we were just glad everyone played together for all the ####### changes".