Just ONE change!

A seperate division for older style shows using older rules thus allowing more people accessable enjoyment.

Most of todays shows are way above the average band student and most band directors not to mention John Q. Public.

Sure, there are many non musician people who can appreciate what goes on the field today but we have really become a "super-class" unto ourselves. To drawn more people, "some" shows must be presented that an average person can understand and enjoy.

While many of "us" look at the shows from say 1980 as being very slow moving and boring, Joe Average off the street can tap their feet and enjoy the show with a few goosebumps along the way.

It also would open up participation to more kids who can't afford ( or, are not good enough ) an all summer National tour.

At an average show have say 6 of the top 18, as many ( 2-4 ) "retro" corps and at least 1 all age/senior/alumni performance.

When I think of "retro" corps I see smaller start up costs and alot more FUN in show design. There are a ton of people available with the know how to do this. Not everyone has to be cutting edge and pushing the envelope. Some might just want the FUN and a chance to entertain the average person.

• Like 1

There are a lot, but something I thought of when I was replying to another thread - I think World Class corps should have to be full (or close to it if there are injuries/sickness). A 70 member corps just doesn't provide the same experience to the viewer, and even though they are (usually) much higher skill level, they remind me (and people I've brought) too much of the local marching bands instead of something large, loud, elite and powerful.

• Like 1

Maybe, but if this were true, you might as well move indoors.

28,000 people watched Madison play "Malaguena", Spirit play "Sweet Georgia Brown", and BD play "La Suerta etc" as concert numbers in 1980, plus another few million on live tv. Just playing, rather than marching, for 3 or 4 minutes in a 13 minute showdidn't make their shows less appealing; if anything, the evidence might point in the opposite direction.

BTW, at that point, Visual GE was 10% of the score, and the guard was buried in the M&M sheets rather than being their own caption. Music outweighed Visual 2:1 on the GE score ratio, and the general sense was that what the corps were doing, programmatically, was working quite well to grow audiences, even if the visual demand was a fraction of what it is now.

I love cool drill; Gaines' work with Cavaliers really made an outstanding contributions to the form. But most visual programs don't come anywhere near that level of design, and as a result, aren't anywhere near as impressive.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

Make visual program and guard work worth 30-35% of the score, and musical program and performance worth 65-70% of the score. If someone wants to park and bark for 2 or 3 minutes, and they tear the house down doing it, who gives a ___ about the 'easy' aspects of simply standing and communicating with the audience.

Drill is overrated as an audience builder.

WIN!!

:worthy:/>

Likewise, let the drums just arc up & throw down some chops stuff instead of 16th notes at 200 marching sideways...enough already.

can't plus this enough

Electronics are NEVER going away.

They actually SAVE corps money. A set of timpani cost $12,000 - 15,000. Then there is the cost to haul them around.

Most corps are replacing timpani with synth at a fraction of the cost, and while the costs of timpani are actually increasing, the costs of electronics is actually going down.

Electronics are NEVER going away.

They actually SAVE corps money. A set of timpani cost $12,000 - 15,000. Then there is the cost to haul them around.

Most corps are replacing timpani with synth at a fraction of the cost, and while the costs of timpani are actually increasing, the costs of electronics is actually going down.

Heck, lets take it to the logical conclusion then. Who needs brass? Just a couple of synthesizers, 2 keyboard players, and some speakers should do it. Heck, you could even play in the key of G, and in tune! Volume?? You could put 1980 Spirit of Atlanta to shame!

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

Heck, lets take it to the logical conclusion then. Who needs brass? Just a couple of synthesizers, 2 keyboard players, and some speakers should do it. Heck, you could even play in the key of G, and in tune! Volume?? You could put 1980 Spirit of Atlanta to shame!

Well... synthesizers are extremely underutilized in drum corps. To think a synth is any easier than a brass or percussion instrument is silly. To make real music on them... takes real talent.

For example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5f5P5VbIc

Would love to see stuff like that in drum corps... those tunes... that type of synth usage.

• Like 1