Cavies Struggles

... but anyone at the top doesn't always stay there ...

Really? Hmmmm.... let's test your contention... 1975 - 2012; no placement lower than 5th; average placement of 2.3; number of Gold Medals are at 15; I think it is safe to say that the Blue Devils have 'always' stayed at the top for, uh, well, 37 years.

• Like 1

Not every program is a winner out of the gate. I've seen groups, Cavies included, that have started with a program that was less than what they wanted and ended up with something pretty cool. The real test will be to see what the design team and staff do to the program throughout the summer. Will they make it something great? Only time will tell. But, give them some time.

I don't think anyone would disagree that if you joined the Cavaliers for the 2012 season, that you didn't get the experience you were expecting.

"Greatest summer I've ever had", "I had a blast this summer, I wouldn't change a thing" are 99% of what I heard from members last year, many of those guys marched 2010/11 and are marching this year. You have to understand, the membership at Cavaliers really could care less about scores, there are so many other things that draw someone there. If you're a ring chaser and you go there you don't last more than one year usually because, let's be honest, you have to put up with a lot of crap as a New Guy there. But those that are there for the brotherhood, to make awesome music, to be pushed physically and mentally beyond your limits usually end up sticking around for a few years.

Not a single member I've spoken to has regretted their decision to march Cavaliers last year.

Honestly the only reason my profile picture has me holding the trophy is because A: it's the only photo I have that fits the ridiculous specifications of Avatars and B: I look really good in it.

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 4

"Greatest summer I've ever had", "I had a blast this summer, I wouldn't change a thing" are 99% of what I heard from members last year, many of those guys marched 2010/11 and are marching this year. You have to understand, the membership at Cavaliers really could care less about scores, there are so many other things that draw someone there. If you're a ring chaser and you go there you don't last more than one year usually because, let's be honest, you have to put up with a lot of crap as a New Guy there. But those that are there for the brotherhood, to make awesome music, to be pushed physically and mentally beyond your limits usually end up sticking around for a few years.

Not a single member I've spoken to has regretted their decision to march Cavaliers last year.

that's good, but then they shouldn't be any younger than normal.

The hype and discussion around Cavaliers 2013 has opened my eyes to how the corps is much more than simply a drum corps (which is already a deep bond). The brotherhood alone already has me thinking that if I had a year left (which I sadly don't), I would be visiting Rosemont this winter.

• Like 2

that's good, but then they shouldn't be any younger than normal.

I didn't say I talked to the entire corps, but many of the guys I did talk to marched those years, mostly in the battery and pit, which is arguably the strongest section.

2010 they had a great vehicle... They were not really in danger then. That was still dominant Cavaliers, the past season and start of this one is a shadow of the 00's... I want them to do well, one of my favorites corps but its not the same for them right now

Yeah, I don't think you can compare 2010 to 2012 or 2013. To say the Cavaliers started slowly in 2010, while technically true, is still a bit of a misnomer. The Cavaliers did not place lower than THIRD at any show in 2010 and they were only beaten by FOUR corps the entire season (BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Crown: the remainder of the Top 5). Same thing in 1997: until Finals week, they were Top 3 at every show but two (in which they were 4th). (And you want to talk slow starts: the Cavaliers beat Vanguard by 4 points at the first show of the season in 1997.)

In neither '97 or '10 were the Cavaliers EVER losing shows to corps that would go on to place 9th and 11th like in 2012 (and, presumably, 2013). And, as others have pointed out, other corps will improve, too. Look at how little changed the last month of the season...

DCI Minneapolis, 7/14/2012

7. Boston Crusaders (+0.20)

8. Cavaliers

9. Madison Scouts (-0.90)

DCI Finals, 8/13/2012

7. Boston Crusaders (+0.25)

8. Cavaliers

9. Madison Scouts (-0.85)

No, the Cavaliers won't miss Finals. But no way will they vault into the Top 6 this year.

• Like 1

Bring back Kuhn and Fiedler. End the madness already.

• Like 1