Incomplete Shows

It might be helpful if we had a list of prices for local shows through the season, to see if early contests, where fans are getting a lesser product, are cheaper than late contests. Of course, it would also need to consider number of corps in each show, cost of living for a given area, etc.

Pretty sure corps done get paid less for early season shows, meaning expenses aren't more/less at various times per year.

I hear your point loud and clear about safety of the members needing to be a top priority. I absolutely agree with that. That said, I do still feel that there should be some sort of penalty instituted for incomplete shows though. No matter the circumstance or excuse. What that penalty should be I don't have a clue. The first show deadline is known way in advance. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect all the corps to make this deadline their priority no matter the circumstance.

"Penalty" other than lower score: which happens now?

Edited by perc2100

Sorry, but this reply is garbage. It's naive and ignorant of the activity and logistics that Wes was trying to help explain.

If you don't want to accept that, it's your prerogative but to assume very corps should be "finished" (spoiler: NONE of them are) and to deny any reasonable answers is ignorance

Yep, and if DCI want's to hold corps to an early season standard of having a show done, than show up with a full judging panel.

If a corps performs an incomplete show the contest director should withhold their score and call it an un judged exhibition and the corps should forfeit their appearance fee for that show.

It is disrespectful to the fans that paid on average over $ 20.00 per ticket to attend.

Sorry Wes your explanation as to why the Blue Knights didn't have their show done is garbage.

At the Legends show in Plainwell MI tonight the Legends have advertised for weeks that they would be performing only a standstill exhibition.

People attend shows with the expectations that the corps will be ready.

Were these corps with incomplete shows onthe field for 10 minutes? If so then they met the minimum requirement for a complete show. No where in the rules does it say youhave to move at all ordo anything more thanstandstill and play music. Although doing that will hurt your score but unless you are on the field for less than10 minutes the no penalty is required

I'll say this about incomplete* shows...If I think it's likely there will be incomplete ones in an early season competition, I'm a lot less likely to bring a newbie to it.

*(When I say "incomplete", to me at least, there's a huge difference between shows where drill and/or music isn't 100% on the field vs. CHANGES in drill and/or music between Show 1 and Indy. To me, the latter scenario doesn't mean the show is "not finished," while the former does. I don't consider them the same topic at all, but clearly there's some debate out there about this.)

• Like 1

Having worked on a drum corps staff for several years, there's a lot to putting a show together and teaching it. It can get very complicated for many different reasons. Writers, arrangers, designers, caption heads, and instructors have to work in tandem, and ideally, everyone is on the same page and on schedule. However, they're humans. The production schedule can be put on hold due to a personal issue, conflict in design ideas, rewrites, and staffing. It's not that corps staffs lack motivation or don't care to complete a show. There's a lot of advantage to put a full show on the field at the beginning of the season, but again, it's complicated.

Edited by wonderbread403
  • Like 1

I again take no disrespect to the paying customer which is me too. I just think deserve is a strong word. Would it be ideal and bestto have a completed show? yes and the corps themselves would rather do that. But would it be better if corps like BK didn't go to a show until it is complete? I think the paying public was glad to be able to see BK and SCV last night in Clovis even if they had shows that needed endings. The response from the public at the venue suggests that. Every Corps faces adversity, travels etc.... Troopers spent a good amount of time in Indy to cut down the amount of rehearsal time lost from travel. BK did two clinics on the way and in Cali. Those are things they could've cancelled but judging by the reaction and attendance it's a good thing they didn't. It is not a slight, it's just the way it came to pass.

I don't think anyone would give a corps a hard time if the corps offered a reasonable reason why their show is not complete (Could be an announcement like "The xyz corps would like to make you aware their show is not completed due to a massive amount of bad weather...etc.) If corps were required to make these announcements just before the corp performs...perhaps we would see less incomplete show due to weak excuses (Did not complete and/or teach the material) (Kind of embarrising to announce you are not ready in time if there are weak reasons for it). Same for colorguards without uniforms or show flags. Some corps have made this a new norm and it really should not be.

Corps need to realize where the $$$ is coming from for them to be able to do what they do...so often i feel corps are less and less aware of the fact the activity would die in record time if the fans bail. Respect your fans and the fans of the activity. :satisfied:

what if there were no fires, floods, hurricanes, or other reasons ... what if the corps was just unorganized and hadn't gotten around to finishing yet?

then see their score suck

• Like 1

then see their score suck

I agree...but honestly that it is not enough in my opinion.

Questions should be asked and answered (Sufficently) as to why the show was incomplete.