2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Actually, that would've been cool..cooler if it'd been the hornline while playing.

I guess that just adds a totally new meaning to backwards marching

Yo! Now you are the Timothy Leary of DCP???

Having authored probably the last doctoral dissertation done on a typewriter, I can assure you that self-testing subject matter does not get the project completed any sooner.

Well, to that I have only two things to say:

1) "There are three effects of acid: enhanced long-term memory, decreased short-term memory...and I forget the third."

2) "You're only as young as the last time you changed your mind."

Could you point out some examples?

You don't know any examples of men's drum corps uniforms in recent years featuring skirt like elements? Or even outright skirts? Are you high?

How should have the Bluecoats' guard last season dressed? What era were they representing? What about Crown's 2014 production? Do you think they should've moonwalked? And worn spacesuits? Fact of the matter is, most show themes support the use of jazz and modern dance and the guard uniforms will reflect that.

You may very well have valid points. However, it's impossible to assess their validity when you don't back up those points and throw subtle hints of sexism at the same time.

That's a trick question. The Bluecoats' 2014 show had no thematic depth, so designing a costume is impossible. But if I were designing a guard uniform for the vague show concept "tilt", my mind doesn't immediately jump to head to toe orange spandex and men's orange micro mini skirt wraparound tunics. Be honest, does yours? The point is that skirt-like costume elements on men-- that's year after year of designs with skirt-like elements for men-- suggest a designer's androgyny agenda, and not a balanced, organic approach to costume design for marching music. Adding skirts to men's uniforms is like out of the blue adding bustles to everyone's uniform-- everyone marching around with huge buttock elements from the Victorian era-- it would just make people shrug and say "What's that designer's obsession with the bustle? Is he feeling all right? This is the third year in a row he's done bustles!" Why isn't it the same for these mini-skirt like elements on men?

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

That's a trick question. The Bluecoats' 2014 show had no thematic depth, so designing a costume is impossible. But if I were designing a guard uniform for the vague show concept "tilt", my mind doesn't immediately jump to head to toe orange spandex and men's orange micro mini skirt wraparound tunics. Be honest, does yours? The point is that skirt-like costume elements on men-- that's year after year of designs with skirt-like elements for men-- suggest a designer's androgyny agenda, and not a balanced, organic approach to costume design for marching music. Adding skirts to men's uniforms is like out of the blue adding bustles to everyone's uniform-- everyone marching around with huge buttock elements from the Victorian era-- it would just make people shrug and say "What's that designer's obsession with the bustle? Is he feeling all right? This is the third year in a row he's done bustles!" Why isn't it the same for these mini-skirt like elements on men?

Color guard is dance. It is not military. This is clearly what you are objecting to, in effect.

Kids pay $3,500 per year to dance all summer. They do it because they know they will improve massively in their dance skill. The outfits are typical dance outfits for performing arts. Here is a google search for "Male dance outfits". This is what you are complaining about. Most of them have either long shirts, tight pants, or both. It is not just pride events, as you imply. It is just typical modern male dance.

As soon as you start your own color guard league, you can tell the guard members, instructors, and judges that they should stop wanting typical male dance performance attire, that they should instead start wanting appropriately masculine jackets and slacks.

Until then you've very entertaining. Please, play on.

• Like 1