2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Designers typically use the excuse that the girls and guys need to look the same for GE's sake, and then use that to justify modifying the male uniform to include a skirt. So ridiculous. Not every show is about androgyny. Not every show is about feminine movement. Not every show should include modern dance and remnants from San Francisco's Folsom street sex fair. (Some shows should, of course.)

The most break-through costume for 2014 was Cavaliers' vampire theme. The choreography, costume and character work were specific to the character, and germane to the music. What a concept. Not just cranked out from a skin-tight Chinese Lycra factory with a pastel printing press. The designers avoided the lazy trap of creating a Jackson Pollack spandex in a blender costume that's so easy to design you can do it on online now, using an xml app developed by students at the high school for the performing arts in Akron. (One size fits all, just stretch it across your groin until everything is revealed.) But Cavalier's guard's costumes, choreography and movement style were skeleton-inspired, Victorian era-specific, vampire-like, and without a shred of the ridiculous grab your heart and reach for the starts modern dance crap that has plagued corps guards for over a decade now.

Most of this spandex suburban modern dance comes from the influence of high school color guards and dance teams, a derivative machine that cranks out cookie cutter, pastel colored modern dance moves like they're being #### out of a CGI render farm outside Manilla. Sure, the good thing is that he derivative modern dance movements help create a dance baseline for the activity, where all participants have the same knowledge and mental template for dance in performing arts. The bad thing is that this modern dance has become standard, regardless of whether it fits the theme of the show or not. Modern dance is the scourge of the activity, and the Cavaliers 2014 and Santa Clara 2013 need to be regarded as the corps with a break-out choreography trend-- no more lycra, no more Martha Graham crap. Character-based movement, non-derivative, and germane to the music, and era-specific.

Our only hope is a war with China, just to shut down that .JPG-to-spandex printing press that's shrink-wrapping the brains of our modern dance obsessed choreographers and costume designers. And a cancellation of Dance Moms wouldn't hurt, either.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

Not that my opinion matters, but I'm not liking BD's uniforms.

What do you call the piece on the front of a shako? Anyway, the square thing was supposed to be from a camera, so I was sort of okay with that...for last year. It just has little impact to me.

Needs more blue on top. I find the top with vertical panels to be plain and not dramatic. I was hoping they'd be done with that.

Guard uni seems messy. Might as well just do cutoffs and t shirts. Where'd the yellow leg come from? !!??

I'm in a bad mood this a.m.

I wondered about the square thing too, thought it was supposed to be a camera last year, in which case it doesn't make sense this year. I liked it for that but don't understand it now.

Perhaps they ordered something that did not arrive in time for the pictures. Maybe something specific to the theme like a quill (hopefully not an octopus) or maybe an updated return to the previous in which case perhaps, as on middle earth, the eagles are coming.

Or perhaps you are all over analysing the dang thing... Perhaps it's just a square piece of chrome covered plastic that reflects light better than the eagle that was on there before!

• Like 4

Designers typically use the excuse that the girls and guys should match each other for visual GE clarity's sake, and then use that to justify modifying the male uniform to include a skirt. So ridiculous. Not every show is about androgyny. Not every show is about feminine movement. Not every show should include modern dance and remnants from San Francisco's Folsom street sex fair. (Some shows should, of course.)

The most break-through costume for 2014 was designed Cavaliers' vampire theme. The choreography, costume and character work were specific to the character, and germane to the music. What a concept. Not just cranked out from a skin-tight Chinese Lycra factory with a pastel printing press. The designers avoided the lazy trap of creating a Jackson Pollack spandex in a blender costume that's so easy to design you can do it on online now, with an xml app developed by students at the high school for the performing arts in Akron. (One size fits all, just stretch it across your groin until everything is revealed.) The choreography and movement style were skeleton-inspired, era-specific, vampire-like, without a shred of the ridiculous grab your heart and reach for the starts modern dance crap that has plagued corps guards for over a decade now.

Most of this spandex suburban modern dance comes from the influence of high school color guards and dance teams, a derivative machine that cranks out cookie cutter, pastel colored modern dance moves like they're being #### out of a plastic mould factory outside Manilla. The good thing is that he derivative modern dance movements help create a dance baseline for the activity, where all participants have the same knowledge and mental template for dance in performing arts. The bad thing is that this derivative modern dance in lycra has become a disease that is overlaying the top of every show, regardless of whether it fits the theme of the show or not. Modern dance is the scourge of the activity, and the Cavaliers and Santa Clara need to be regarded as the corps with a break-out choreography trend-- no more lycra, no more Martha Graham crap. Character driven movement, non-derivative, and germane to the music.

Our only hope is a war with China, just to shut down that .JPG-to-spandex printing press that's shrink-wrapping the brains of our choreographers and show designers. And a cancellation of Dance Moms wouldn't hurt, either.

You talk as if this is just fact, when really it seems like you're forcing some weird agenda that I'm still not sure what the point is. While you argue that since a show isn't about androgyny, that this means that the male and female guard outfits should be noticeably different, why not return the question to you? Unless the show needs to represent both males and females separately, why shouldn't they have similar uniforms? Meanwhile, im not sold on your skirt theory and I find that typically there are differences between the male and female guard uniforms.

I think its funny that you harp about skin tight guard outfits, when i end up thinking that its about 50/50 between skin tight and baggy but not too baggy. Sorta like wearing leggings vs wearing pajamas. Both allow for a wide range of movement, which is of course the point. Is your discomfort seeing typically 18-22 year olds wearing this? I am 100% sure that if a member was uncomfortable with the attire chosen for them, that a change would be made for them. I remember last year people freaking out about BD's guard outfits, but they typically dont have minors at BD and if the members are comfortable with their outfit then that should be what matters. Also the outfit was relevant to the production. Like cavies last year, which you used to say how the guard outfits reflect the show well.

Its all about the designers to bring the best out of any show, and since many guard instructors come from a dance background its no surprise how this influences DCI. But also this helps the guard members greatly if they are interested in a future in dance. But anyway, some corps do it better than others. Just like with electronics. Also modern dance is not the scourge of the activity, that title is reserved for you and people like you.

Your final point just proves my last one.

Sincerely,

a guy who would downvote you if i still could.

• Like 6

Designers typically use the excuse that the girls and guys should match each other for visual GE clarity's sake, and then use that to justify modifying the male uniform to include a skirt. So ridiculous. Not every show is about androgyny. Not every show is about feminine movement. Not every show should include modern dance and remnants from San Francisco's Folsom street sex fair. (Some shows should, of course.)

The most break-through costume for 2014 was designed Cavaliers' vampire theme. The choreography, costume and character work were specific to the character, and germane to the music. What a concept. Not just cranked out from a skin-tight Chinese Lycra factory with a pastel printing press. The designers avoided the lazy trap of creating a Jackson Pollack spandex in a blender costume that's so easy to design you can do it on online now, with an xml app developed by students at the high school for the performing arts in Akron. (One size fits all, just stretch it across your groin until everything is revealed.) The choreography and movement style were skeleton-inspired, era-specific, vampire-like, without a shred of the ridiculous grab your heart and reach for the starts modern dance crap that has plagued corps guards for over a decade now.

Most of this spandex suburban modern dance comes from the influence of high school color guards and dance teams, a derivative machine that cranks out cookie cutter, pastel colored modern dance moves like they're being #### out of a plastic mould factory outside Manilla. The good thing is that he derivative modern dance movements help create a dance baseline for the activity, where all participants have the same knowledge and mental template for dance in performing arts. The bad thing is that this derivative modern dance in lycra has become a disease that is overlaying the top of every show, regardless of whether it fits the theme of the show or not. Modern dance is the scourge of the activity, and the Cavaliers and Santa Clara need to be regarded as the corps with a break-out choreography trend-- no more lycra, no more Martha Graham crap. Character driven movement, non-derivative, and germane to the music.

Our only hope is a war with China, just to shut down that .JPG-to-spandex printing press that's shrink-wrapping the brains of our choreographers and show designers. And a cancellation of Dance Moms wouldn't hurt, either.

Oh the generalizations. Oh the hyperbole. You're really good at the pointless ranting thing, I'll give you that!

• Like 2

The top priority for drum corps costume designers is androgyny. Design the male costume to resemble a skirt, at all costs. The key is to hide the skirt under the thinnest guise of normalcy. So, take a standard piece of men's clothing and mutate it to look like a skirt or dress. For example, a wrap-around tunic that looks like a skirt. A topcoat that wraps around the full waist, even in front-- skirt. A loin cloth that goes half way down the leg-- skirt. A shirt that goes to the mid thigh to look like-- a skirt. Anything, anything that looks like a skirt or dress. Anything to help conjure the image of androgyny. Number one.

The second top-most priority for drum corps costume designers is to have all corps members wear the tightest fitting and clingiest lycra possible, exposing every detail of men's loins.

The third priority for drum corps designers is to develop costumes for a portfolio to show in their Cirque du Soleil interview. The more bizarre and fanciful, the better, ostrich feathers and twisted aluminum-- whether it fits the design of the overall production of the corps or not.

Absolutely ridiculous.

You have three posts on the forum and two of them mention men in skirts.

Thing I don't get is you point out "the Cavaliers and Santa Clara need to be regarded as the corps with a break-out choreography trend-- no more lycra, no more Martha Graham crap. Character driven movement, non-derivative, and germane to the music."

Unfortunately, if you watch SCV's show from last year, I think you might see a few men in costumes that resemble dresses/skirts. Does that mean you won't like them anymore?

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

cpac-clown-car-gop-620x288.png

These costumes are looking down right cartoonish! I expect some of these corps to hop out of a clown car and start making balloon animals!

Edited by boxingfred

I always like to imagine your avatar image is saying whatever your post says. This instance makes it so much better.

Haha it's funny because I do the same thing with every poster who has a person or character for their avatar. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!

• Like 1

"the Cavaliers and Santa Clara need to be regarded as the corps with a break-out choreography trend-- no more lycra, no more Martha Graham crap.

Ironic. 2009 Santa Clara was all about Martha Graham.

• Like 1