Feelin' Fresno!

As I said on Madison thread - will e curious to see if the much-rumored 'West Coast Score Inflation' applies to midwest corps competing on the west coast.

I don't believe any inflation occurred when Phantom went out west last year

• Like 1

As I said on Madison thread - will e curious to see if the much-rumored 'West Coast Score Inflation' applies to midwest corps competing on the west coast.

It doesn't really apply anymore.

The whole reason the "West Coast Inflation" thing got started in the first place is because, years back, there weren't as many corps within the same "tier" competing head-to-head at the early shows in Cali. So you'd get a show where, say, BD was competing against Mandarins and PC and...no one else. Since there wasn't anyone in the mid-tier at a lot of those shows, the score gaps would vary wildly in consistency (because DCI's system is about spreads, not raw numbers).

That isn't really the case anymore. BK has improved to be a consistent middle-of-the-top-twelve contender and SCV is has been much closer to BK than BD in terms of that for some time now. Adding more from the 6-12 ranks (Madison or Phantom from last year) will negate the spreads even more in theory, so I think the old "West Coast Inflation" thing is pretty much dead.

You still can't reliably compare scores that aren't head-to-head results, though because, again, DCI's scoring system is about spreads between head-to-head matchups, not raw scores.

Edited by geluf
  • Like 1

I'm thinking SCV is going to be much closer to BD than a lot of people think. Very good reports coming from them this spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat BD - though I don't expect it.

Agreed. My "sources" tell me that the show design and the major improvement in brass should keep them competitive. We'll have a better idea after this weekend..

• Like 1

I'm thinking SCV is going to be much closer to BD than a lot of people think. Very good reports coming from them this spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat BD - though I don't expect it.

I have them within 1 point of BD and vying for a bronze medal this year

I have them within 1 point of BD and vying for a bronze medal this year

I can see them vying for bronze but they will be 3 points behind BD as they are ahead of the point they were at in 2014 and there is a lot more energy this year. Here comes a Tsunami.

• Like 1

1) Blue Devils 70.85

2) Vanguard 68.05

3) Blue Knights 67.25

3) Madison Scouts 64.80

4) Academy 63.80

5) Pacific Crest 62.00

6) Mandarins 60.00

• Like 1

Gracious....if Scouts score that low and that close to Academy and Crest, and that far from BK and the rest...you will see some epically P****ed off Scout folks. The product Scouts have on the field this year is WAY better than the 64 range.

• Like 2

Phantom did drop a couple points when they came back east though. Also, they were either scoring higher than, or within a point of cavies, but ended up getting 3 pointed by them in their first head to head. But yeah, there are probably 101 reasons why this happened. (different shows/w.e)

Gracious....if Scouts score that low and that close to Academy and Crest, and that far from BK and the rest...you will see some epically P****ed off Scout folks. The product Scouts have on the field this year is WAY better than the 64 range.

I agree. No way Scouts are closer to Academy than BK. No way.

• Like 1