Blue Devil's Blue Tarp

There has been a lot of discussion among my drum corps friends and on DCP regarding the blue "wave" tarp used at the start of BD's show, enough so that I thought it deserved its own thread.

Here are what seem to be the recurring opinions:

1. The color is beautiful under the lights.

2. The waving effect of it is wonderful and brings the ocean setting to life.

3. It is a great front drop to what the brass and guard are doing behind it.

4. The way it is taken off and then brought to the back and then wadded into a pile- all in plain view is unimaginative and a distraction.

5. Even though the way they take it away is unsophisticated and clunky, weighed against all the other cool stuff they do, it is a minor issue.

6. Because the staff is so creative and detailed, clever and innovative, the unsophisticated and clunky way they discard the tarp is so out of character for them, and perhaps then even more awkward to watch.

7. The effect is not worth the logistics.

8. Is it adding points? If not, let it go.

9. We watch other corps move props around in a clunky way, so why is this not okay?

10. Couldn't it come off the front with poles, or one person dragging it somewhere dramatically as if claiming the sea?

11. If it was larger and could go over the entire back drop using long poles . . .

My own opinion: Yes, the effect is cool, but extremely brief and I have seen this done many times. Yes, they do so many other clever things and maybe this is only 30 seconds or so of the show, but it is awkward to watch even for that long. I can't help comparing BD to BD; there have been moments in past shows where a visual detail was not crafted and no one seemed to care much, but no where near to this extent. If keeping the tarp (though unless something much better happens to take it off the field), I feel it adds nothing to the score, the exit is not worth the effect, not even close.

Other opinions?

• Like 1

My guess is that the fabric doesn't do much to the score. It might give a slight score boost, but who knows. I love your idea about claiming the sea. I don't think the ocean being dragged backfield is elegant, but I don't think it's really distracting with everything going on.

Points aside, it makes a big difference in how much I enjoy the show. It's such a cool moment. I'm glad they're doing it, even if it hinders the score slightly.

12. The ocean is not rectangular.

Even rounding the corners and small curves (non symmetrical) on the sides would help the jar of a rectangular ocean.

• Like 2

The large blue tarp sets the stage for the water-based theme that is the Tempest. It's the ocean, so that makes good sense.

The small white boat in the center of the opening set is very small and even though it is the center of attention and starts the show, from a distance that nuance is easily lost.

The blue tarp is very effective and helps to "cross all the "T's" and dot all the "i's".

+++

If only Blue Devils would simply hand out some small squirt bottles to the crowd at finals, then when the show starts everybody could spritz some water mist into the air, setting the atmosphere.

Now THAT'S GE and crowd engagement! :cool:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Now, if they could figure out a way to have the mm face the boat towards the stands while they are under the tarp and have it ride the wave to the pit area while the width of the tarp is being pulled towards the pit.

12. The ocean is not rectangular.

It is at the edges. :cool:

Now, if they could figure out a way to have the mm face the boat towards the stands while they are under the tarp and have it ride the wave to the pit area while the width of the tarp is being pulled towards the pit.

I like this idea. I actually think having someone carry the boat forward behind the billowing waves, and then having the tarp being pulled forward to end up behind the pit is a much better option that what they are doing now.

The large blue tarp sets the stage for the water-based theme that is the Tempest. It's the ocean, so that makes good sense.

The small white boat in the center of the opening set is very small and even though it is the center of attention and starts the show, from a distance that nuance is easily lost.

The blue tarp is very effective and helps to "cross all the "T's" and dot all the "i's".

+++

If only Blue Devils would simply hand out some small squirt bottles to the crowd at finals, then when the show starts everybody could spritz some water mist into the air, setting the atmosphere.

Now THAT'S GE and crowd engagement! :cool:

Maybe. I felt the wave body move and boat was more than enough to put me into the story's setting, and was creative. The trap is fine, but I don't think it adds to any story detailing.

Funny that I typed trap and not tarp. Freudian? Ha.

Edited by derbydawg
  • Like 1

Clearly the most functional staging choice is to have the blue silk move from the front sideline to the back, but that's been done by Crown. That's why I think they chose the movement from back to front. So the next logical movement is from audience left to right where it can naturally collapse itself into a pile on the goal line and dragged toward the back field.

Either way, right now the silk itself isn't necessarily advancing the story or setting the stage. It's a special effect that seems a little superfluous.

I suggest reducing the size of the silk to about ten yards wide, like a wall of water, and have it "chase" the ship in a curving pattern toward the front sideline. The ship is overcome by the wave. The silk size would more manageable, still impressive in size, and at least sets up the idea that the ship is tempest tossed. Presently the ship doesn't pull enough focus in the (intentional) dwarfing.

I'd also have Prospero at the helm of the wall of water, directing, or commanding the wall of water, according to the original text.

Edited by Channel3