Field Electronics - How much is too much?

Answer: anytime the electronics cover something else up. (i.e., the definition of BAD ENSEMBLE)

PS: For Bloo-haters, the electronics never covered a single thing. (certainly not the tubas!)

Funniest thing I've read all season.

FYI, not a Bluecoats hater, as I did buy a show shirt.

At DCI Kentucky, their electronics definitely covered up the ensemble themselves, as well as the synths playing brass parts with brass patches.

Sorry, but it did happen.

ESPECIALLY with the "tubas".

By the way, they're called Contras.

Funniest thing I've read all season.

FYI, not a Bluecoats hater, as I did buy a show shirt.

At DCI Kentucky, their electronics definitely covered up the ensemble themselves, as well as the synths playing brass parts with brass patches.

Sorry, but it did happen.

Yeah Bruckner8. How would you know any better than the guy that saw them in KY?!

(speaking of funny)

I'm pretty sure Bluecoats used Tubas. And least that's what they are selling. Yamaha Tubas.

I'm pretty sure it was never played from Indy to Indy.

Plus it is not like they were trying to fool anyone. They didn't even have their horns up to their mouths.Much like the pitch bend, the judges weren't being tricked. I am sure no music judges gave them credit for playing an obviously distorted reverse lick with their horns down facing the end zone.

The hardware is increasingly more affordable. The qualified people to run them, not so much. Look at the resume of the fellow who is in charge of Bluecoats' electronics...

Who comes in, teaches and leaves

I'm perfectly fine with our digital future - when it works. We were very close to having a champion that didn't have electronics working through the whole show all three nights - how do you make a CD or DVD of that without splicing multiple performances together?

I know nothing about how the sound setups work - do corps need more time to enter the field, or is there a standard sound rig that could be put up by DCI and left there for every corps to use? How can the circuit help the corps?

Mike

No one rig will fit all because with endorsements you use who sponsored you, and it will only work on their gear. It's like trying to charge your Samsung with an apple plug

Contra is short for contrabass bugle...so that would be weird.

There are also contrabass clarinets, saxophones and flutes. None of which I saw in the Bluecoats show. But everything was happening so fast, i might have missed them.

Who comes in, teaches and leaves

He designs, implements. refines, trains and teaches staff and members. He is involved early and often and applies the same level of expertise and detail that he does on his non-corps jobs.

The following extracted from his own breakdown which hopefully lends some insight.

http://bluecoats.com/alumni/blue-review/

"I’ve worked in the Professional Audio world for almost 20 years and what we do with the Bluecoats in the world of Audio is no different than in my job with Cirque du Soleil. In the design of the system I tried to think of everything in advance to make our lives as easy as possible this summer. The System Design consisted of 12 Pages of Autocad drawings detailing every aspect of the system. We have as many inputs as I did on several Broadway tours, more speakers than most shows on the road, and we do it in all in less than 17 minutes."