2017 Uniform Thread

14 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

Oh dear lord. I may not be able to take much more of this trend. Have tickets I'm actually considering selling now.  I know some won't agree with me and argue that's not right for the kids involved etc but this is not drum corps.  I was ok with Bb horns, electronics, narration, accepting of trombones (although corps overuse them just to use them imo) but this new trend has taken me over the edge 

I will hand it to the scouts though, at least the costumes are masculine and less spandex than others

Nice edit. Get out if you can't handle the activity changing.

• Like 2

Scouts...YAAAASSS!  Cool, masculine and very show appropriate.  This is how you design a costume.

• Like 4

Madison's costume is amazing but it seems that many corps are trying too hard to create shock value from the uniforms to gain attention. I appreciate the theatrical  quality but I loved the times when corps instead shocked me on the field with amazing music and drill. The costuming is great for WGI but its a bit disheartening to see the iconic drum corps styles go away.  I miss looking out over the lot and recognizing various corps right away because of their uniform "brand". I will get used to the extreme costuming but I truly miss the presence of the iconic drum corp look. 

• Like 3

Wow. I'd like to say that, as someone who really is struggling to get behind this uniform trend, Madison is surprisingly not rubbing me the wrong way. If anything, I actually am interested to see Madison's in a show. Theirs is so much more than a pattern printed on a bodysuit. There are layers and pieces (layered material and zippers and the sash and gloves and such) that really make the uniform/costume look substantial and rich and not thin/cheep. Stanbury and Madison found a way, IMHO, to follow the trend but do so differently and with some distinction.  

Edited by sadtrombonesound
Edited because, as always, I can't spell
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, kmac said:

Madison's costume is amazing but it seems that many corps are trying too hard to create shock value from the uniforms to gain attention. I appreciate the theatrical  quality but I loved the times when corps instead shocked me on the field with amazing music and drill. The costuming is great for WGI but its a bit disheartening to see the iconic drum corps styles go away.  I miss looking out over the lot and recognizing various corps right away because of their uniform "brand". I will get used to the extreme costuming but I truly miss the presence of the iconic drum corp look. 

I think "shock value" is the wrong term here. Bluecoats last year was "shock value" because nobody saw costuming like that coming. Madison's look matches their show concept perfectly. If there is anything "shocking" about it, it's how committed and all-in they went with it, rather than a spandex knock-off. I certainly am not thrilled with Madison leaving the green and aussies behind (same with Vanguard), but if this adds effect to the show, I'm all for it. I trust Chris and Dann to keep the Madison style alive past this year, and to not completely abandon the past.

• Like 3

I know there's a lot of talk about Madison's uniform right now, but in case you're interested in Open Class stuff, here's the Guardians' uniforms for 2017.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I know there's a lot of talk about Madison's uniform right now, but in case you're interested in Open Class stuff, here's the Guardians' uniforms for 2017.

~snip~

Eh, a little cluttered for my taste, but I can see how they fit in with the show.

My only concern is that this trend becomes another haves-vs-have-nots situation that further financially burdens corps that can't afford to play catch up; another thing to drive smaller/less successful corps out of the activity. There's been a LOT of change that isn't just a fundamental shift in the activity, it also comes with a hefty price tag. In the 20 years since I marched, it's gone from owning and running your own busses to spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a summer for 4-5 motor coaches. Then there's not just electronics, but now multiple speakers and microphones all over the field (in some cases). Not to mention the elaborate props. Now we're replacing getting a good 5-7 years out of a set of unis, to having a new "costume" every years. It's already a cost-prohibitive activity for many, many young people. It won't be long until they have a problem recruiting members to fill the ranks of all the current corps. Not for lack of want-to, but lack of money. As it stands now, my 3 seasons would have cost me nearly $7,000, instead of the $1500 or so that I paid to participate.

• Like 1