A California Year?

Horace Greeley once gave some career advice to a budding young underling... " Go West, Young Man ". ( I would not go to Calif. today for a job now if I was young though ). DCI took that advice and expanded their shows, number of Corps there since their inception. ( then went bigtime into the southwest ). I could easily see 4 western Corps in the Finals again this season... and maybe 1-2 at the top of the totem pole . DCI has been moving southwest and west very well the last few decades. I do feel bad for our remaining Drum Corps friends north of the border though. DCI used to have a very strong presence in Canada ( Corps, shows, Championships ). DCI's largest Finals Attendance ever was not in the US... but in Canada. But the country of Canada is a veritable wasteland to DCI Drum Corps now. Thats unfortunate to have lost such a DCI presence in this Country in my opinion.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

A month from the first competition and the hype machine coughs to life for another season. 

Y'know as much as 2014 was amazing and all I have to say 2015 was better IMO.

I liked the show better and well it was my son's rookie year.  Besides BD coming from behind?  That was a first!

(not to mention all the clintonesque excuses why...nvm)  :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

Also shout out to Mandarins........I think they deserve some discussion here too.   I'm very excited to see their show this year.  

And Pacific Crest too.  

Couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Horace Greeley once gave some career advice to a budding young underling... " Go West, Young Man ". ( I would not go to Calif. today for a job now if I was young though ). DCI took that advice and expanded their shows, number of Corps there since their inception. ( then went bigtime into the southwest ). I could easily see 4 western Corps in the Finals again this season... and maybe 1-2 at the top of the totem pole . DCI has been moving southwest and west very well the last few decades. I do feel bad for our remaining Drum Corps friends north of the border though. DCI used to have a very strong presence in Canada ( Corps, shows, Championships ). DCI's largest Finals Attendance ever was not in the US... but in Canada. But the country of Canada is a veritable wasteland to DCI Drum Corps now. Thats unfortunate to have lost such a DCI presence in this Country in my opinion.

California's pretty crowded, but I've lived all over the country, and I like the West best. There's so much talent to draw upon, and the public schools have many good music programs.  Maybe not Texas or Indiana good, but up there. A younger person from the East ( and Midwest/South) coming West may be a tad happier in Nevada or Arizona though. It's less of a culture change.  You can always take a day trip to the coast for the ocean.

It could very well be a California year, but I don't want to count out the defending champs. It will be interesting to see how they make that show work.

I also wouldn't count out Crown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I do feel bad for our remaining Drum Corps friends north of the border though. DCI used to have a very strong presence in Canada ( Corps, shows, Championships ). DCI's largest Finals Attendance ever was not in the US... but in Canada. But the country of Canada is a veritable wasteland to DCI Drum Corps now. Thats unfortunate to have lost such a DCI presence in this Country in my opinion.

Since I'm relatively new to drum corps, these kind of comments always intrigue me and I want to know more.  Do you know what caused this?  Is it all drum corps, or just DCI-affiliated drum corps?

37 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I also wouldn't count out Crown.

I'll tell you something interesting I have observed on PInterest.  I have a Pinterest page called "The Beauty of Drum Corps" where I put especially beautiful photos from DCI corps.  Pinterest sends me regular emails telling me when someone has "liked" one of the photos or saved it to their own drum corps or band page.  The corps that is most likely to be liked or saved is Carolina Crown.  I would say 75% of the time or more, that is the case.  Most of the pin-ners appear to be high school/college age kids and they have lots of CC photos on their pages, especially from 2016.  The number one photo pinned is a frontal view of a line of brass in front of the stagecoach. 

• Like 1