SCV Conundum

10 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Like almost every season, by the time early August rolls around ( less than 4 weeks from now ), they'll be a winnowing down from 5 or 6 Corps that could win it all, to just 2.. perhaps as many as 3, but no more than 3.  SCV wants to be in that  mix of 3, as that positions SCV to secure a medal at least, something that SCV has not done in a dozen years ( since 2004 ). I think by early August that SCV will be in that 3. They have the show design, sectional strength across the board, terrific caption heads, fab drill by Gaines, sufficient creativity, demand, and marcher talent to be one of those 3, imo. But... we'll see.

To quote you from another thread...... "Maybe... maybe not.. We shall see. Its early still".

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

fab drill by Gaines, 

It's still Pete Weber

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yogitom said:

To quote you from another thread...... "Maybe... maybe not.. We shall see. Its early still".

Insofar as SCV is concerned however, I have been been out front very consistently the last week predicting their first medal in a dozen years for SCV. But look, I could be proven wrong too with this. But I do like what I'm seeing and hearing with them so far in the early going, irrespective of their scores at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Spandy said:

It's still Pete Weber

True re. " drill " now that you mention it... What is Michael Gaines role there at SCV this seaaon ? Is it " Visual Design/ Programming " or some such ? I know he's involved with them this year on the Visual side anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Michael is the Artistic Director, I believe for the entire Vanguard organization, not just the drum corps.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

In my humble uneducated opinion, the spreads should be flipped. SCV should be .7-1 pointing BD. BD's show does NOT do it for me during 90% of their show while SCV DOES it 100% of the time.

I agree with you after having seen both at Stanford. However, are we really qualified to judge? I'm not so sure. I think SCV has the absolute best package on the field this year (even over Bluecoats). The integration between the percussion, guard and brass is on point. Their use of props and electronics is interesting. They have a top tier guard and percussion. And what sets them apart from the past few years is their brassline. They are also now top tier. I think the show is so fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of it when I saw it on video, but they completely blew me away at Stanford. They were definitely the highlight of the night. Show is so fun and interesting.

I've been avoiding much of this show until I can see it live. I wonder what everyone thinks about the prop movement?  When I saw a few pics, I thought that they could fall into the Cadet's 2013 trap and get hammered in viz all year.  Do you think that will happen? 

Just now, bicsta said:

I've been avoiding much of this show until I can see it live. I wonder what everyone thinks about the prop movement?  When I saw a few pics, I thought that they could fall into the Cadet's 2013 trap and get hammered in viz all year.  Do you think that will happen? 

I've only seen video, but IMO these are much more forgiving than the Cadets' towers. The bold primary colors separated by sharp corners on the towers showed every tiny deviance in angles and placements; the circular shape of SCV's wheels/stages grants a lot more wiggle room.

54 minutes ago, jpaul said:

Michael is the Artistic Director, I believe for the entire Vanguard organization, not just the drum corps.

I see. Thanks for that info on his role there at SCV now.

It's a Conudum Y'all not a Conundrum! 

Get it straight. Um err ok.