Crossmen 2018

Saw video. I can confirm 7 well placedrim shots ends Elton John

On 6/16/2018 at 10:43 AM, barigirl78 said:

I've been trying to find a good photo of the drum finishes, but the best I could find was a midrange shot.  It's pretty obvious that the accent color this year is a brass/gold color like the hourglass.

BTW, here is their schedule leading up to next weekend:

June 16:  San Antonio

June 17:  San Antonio

June 18:  Godley, TX

June 19:  Little Rock, AR

June 20:  Little Rock, AR

June 21:  TBA

June 22:  TBA

June 23:  Akron, OH

re: June 18

Do they refer to the rest of Texas as Ungodley???:laughing:

Just watched the video. Here's a bunch of thoughts in random order. Please read, would love to have conversation...

On first read, wwaaaaaayyyy better than I was expecting. The title had me thinking, "oh great, another weird for the sake of weird type show except this time inspired by netflix child actors..." On the contrary, The design had me engaged nearly the whole time. There were a few moments that had me asking "why?" but based on their design out of the gates, I feel optimistic about the growth of this show. LOVE the 2+ minutes of tchaikovsky brass arrangements after the first drum break. Wow, what a risk. But the long phrasing in the arrangement is soooo refreshing. I'm so taxed on the 'must have a big impact every 30 seconds' formula. And the trumpet soloist, fantastic arranging... Can't wait to hear a balanced recording of the brass to front ensemble for this...  Thank you Andrew Markworth for your tasteful decisions here.

Visually, leaps and bounds better than last year. There was more scatter drill then I would prefer, but over all there were many moment that had me say, "cool" afterwards... which happened a total of 0 times last year. I really enjoy the guard focus and integration this year, especially in the first few minutes.

Props... aside from the big hour glass, I can't tell what the other props are.

I'm not quite getting 'the inbetween' elements yet. I think it has something to do with being "in between" the start and finish of something... a la, on the journey. There were moments that definitely had an 'anxious to finish' vibe. Like anxious to graduate, anxious to get a job, anxious about life, etc... Can anyone else who's been following stuff comment on that design element?

One thing I'm really hoping gets better is the singer during 'Sweetness Follows'. Let me preface that I'm a long time R.E.M. fan. When I saw that bones would be performing this song I was very cynical about how well they could pull it off. I was really worried about the designers turning this great song into a mega-cheesy-drumcorp-pop-ballad-company-front-barf... To my surprise, I really like this section of the show! They didn't try to do too much with the song and the way it feeds into the reprise was really cool. However, part of what makes Michael Stipe of R.E.M. so great is his distinctive and relatable voice. Scratchy and honest, like a sober life lesson moment with your weird uncle. Intonation issues aside, the crossmen's vocalist sounds like he just came from 'Voice 101' class at music ed. camp usa. I'm pulling for this kid, I really am. I also think that his performance will make or break the build into the final impact. I want soul from a vocalist in this type of song, something ppl can relate to. A 'men's choir alto in the upper register' type voice is not going to make me feel the lyrics.

The section after the reprise is musically cool, but will need the most tweeking. I like how sweetness follows is arranged here, but overall the show  definitely lost momentum for a good 30+ seconds from the 10:50 to 11:20 mark (on the video). 

As always, I'm rooting hardcore for my alma mater. I'm really glad I like the show this year. Last year I wasn't buying at all. Go bones!

Edited by ComeHomeShane

I would suggest this interpretation of the show:

If you look at the opening of the show “Funeral for a Friend,” the darkness of the first part of the show, the black umbrellas, the hour glass and then the R.E.M. lyrics that close things out, the show is about accepting the inevitable passage of time, the loss of loved ones and our own eventual death, and embracing life while we can by getting rid of our petty quarrels and issues and living life to its fullest.

That’s my take - maybe someone will confirm that this is on the right track?

I have been associated with and have followed the corps since 77 and I will say that I think that this season has the potential to be one of the best shows that they have put on the field!

Good luck and best wishes for a great season!

• Like 2

Very excited about this show.  It kept my attention all the way through.  Musically top notch, thrilling.  Visually engaging, entertaining.  I think they will iron out any negatives along the way.  As a retired choral director, I know how fragile the voice is - nerves, fear, allergies can derail the best singer.  I'm hoping the soloist was having an off day and will get some good vocal coaching and learn how to take care of his voice.  All said, next to Crown, this is my favorite pre-season show so far.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy68 said:

If you look at the opening of the show “Funeral for a Friend,” the darkness of the first part of the show, the black umbrellas, the hour glass and then the R.E.M. lyrics that close things out, the show is about accepting the inevitable passage of time, the loss of loved ones and our own eventual death, and embracing life while we can by getting rid of our petty quarrels and issues and living life to its fullest.

That’s my take - maybe someone will confirm that this is on the right track?

I have been associated with and have followed the corps since 77 and I will say that I think that this season has the potential to be one of the best shows that they have put on the field!

Good luck and best wishes for a great season!

I am hardly an authority, but I think this is probably a good interpretation at this point.

I think the singing portion may be controversial.  After hearing the Crossmen's singer during a practice, I bought the original song.  Michael Stipe's voice is a distinctive one that would never win a "American Idol" or "Voice" competition.  The song is sung in by Stipe in a plaintive, sad way.  It's not the type of song drum corps usually picks when they are going to have live vocals because it is almost under-sung.  But, I think the lyrics are important to the show and I understand why the Crossmen chose to have a vocalist instead of someone playing a brass solo.  While it sounds simple, I don't think it's an easy song to sing.

Take a fresh listen to the original song if you haven't heard it or haven't heard it in a while.

As an FYI, the singer is in the guard and has a featured role in the performance of the theme of the show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy68 said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm just wondering if the corps made any formal show concept announcements that I'm unaware of. Even if you're 100% correct, I don't think it's being portrayed  well enough. BUT, of course, it's mid june with plenty of time for growth.