Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

7 minutes ago, Michael Boo said:

Bluecoats = one word. Don't make me come over there. (I can't believe I'm still fighting this battle.)

It's worse on reddit...

• Haha 1

Ott would go to Blue Devils who played with very intense feeling. I had them first place in brass. Crown has become too sterile for my taste.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

Ott would go to Blue Devils who played with very intense feeling. I had them first place in brass. Crown has become too sterile for my taste.

I agree with that, well-said. There is "technical" musicianship and then there's "performance" - BD wins the performance/emotion trophy hands down. Both are great.

BD's final performance we particularly good - the music really danced and grooved and came alive, dripped emotion

Crown's final night performance was technically so good - but was emotionally flat by comparison

It comes down to the writing as well as the teaching IMO. Both lines are loaded with talent, and BD's soloist this year were just off the charts great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Huh? Other corps are low energy? I don't get this. So you mean drill wise? Cadets won off in 2015 with crazy drill. Not getting what you mean I guess 

I cried when the Cadets won in 15

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I agree with that, well-said. There is "technical" musicianship and then there's "performance" - BD wins the performance/emotion trophy hands down. Both are great.

BD's final performance we particularly good - the music really danced and grooved and came alive, dripped emotion

Crown's final night performance was technically so good - but was emotionally flat by comparison

It comes down to the writing as well as the teaching IMO. Both lines are loaded with talent, and BD's soloist this year were just off the charts great.

I don't understand the critique of the Crown performance. I think the concept of the show wasn't emotional and meant to be cerebral, so maybe that is why you felt it was flat. Also the presence of the singer concentrated any intended emotion through her so I can also see that, but historically Crown plays with a ton of emotion. Inferno and Relentless were powerfully emotional shows. 

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

100% this!!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I don't understand the critique of the Crown performance. I think the concept of the show wasn't emotional and meant to be cerebral, so maybe that is why you felt it was flat. Also the presence of the singer concentrated any intended emotion through her so I can also see that, but historically Crown plays with a ton of emotion. Inferno and Relentless were powerfully emotional shows. 

Crown played with emotion in 2016 for sure. I definitely did not feel they were sterile in that year. In 2015, i think the visual carried all the emotion while the brass was bordering on the sterile sound that they had in 2017. Just my opinion of course 

• Like 1

I definitely agree that Blue Devils were more emotional than Crown, but not sure how that correlates to brass placement. Maybe music GE which Blue Devils won.

1 hour ago, onionhead said:

I cried when the Cadets won in 15

Well that only further blurs your comments so I do not understand the "energy" word choice I guess. 

11 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I definitely agree that Blue Devils were more emotional than Crown, but not sure how that correlates to brass placement. Maybe music GE which Blue Devils won.

Could be, I do think communication is an aspect of brass performance beyond just the GE aspect. The notes must come alive

• Like 1