Recommendation - Film Documentary "Score"

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

2001: A Space Odyssey: while Also Sprach Zarathustra is now iconic, Alex North was shafted by Kubrick. Look it up.

Yes, that's a well-known case of music being replaced. But it's not like the composer for 300 lifting music from Titus (for which Warner Bros. apologized) or, well:

Whether or not it is relatable to drum corps, I will definitely watch it just because I'm interested.  Thanks OP for bringing it to my attention.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luv4corps said:

Whether or not it is relatable to drum corps, I will definitely watch it just because I'm interested.  Thanks OP for bringing it to my attention.

Just finished watching and it was amazing! Great insight into compositional history and innovation. 

Anyone who appreciates orchestral music HAS to see this documentary. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Just finished watching and it was amazing! Great insight into compositional history and innovation. 

Anyone who appreciates orchestral music HAS to see this documentary. 

awesome glad you enjoyed it... 

here's a great wikki page to share about the composition work behind the recent film Fury Road (Mad Max) which had one of my favorite soundtracks in many years -- the process took years

at the bottom of the page are some great sources to read more on this one developmental process

the soundtrack itself is on YouTube:

(hello Madison Scouts -- this sound track would be great for you, Cavaliers, Regiment, Crown and many others I believe)

• Like 1

On 9/7/2017 at 1:52 PM, Stu said:

Stage production's, for the most part, have a symbiotic relationship between music and visual that compliment each other 'equally'. DCI show design used to hold to that equal respect treatment.

Movies, on the other hand, mainly treat music as a sublime role of underlying support for everything else iprojected from the screen in visual, sound effects, and dialogue. That religated role for music has been the show design direction DCI has mainly gone post Y2K. Visually I am not saying to harken back to the eighties and nineties; nor am I against modern technology advances of sound production. But the musical arranging in many DCI shows post Y2K has taken on such a background film-score visual driven role it makes no musical sense whatsoever, but merely supports the visual thematic motion. That is where the problem lies in the musical arranging; religation to the vusual not equal respect with the visual.

Stu, you have channeled my sentiments perfectly...My interest in drum corps started with the MUSIC..Visual design has become so overwhelmingly dominant that the equality that you spoke of is gone(imo)..Chopping or compromising the musical integrity makes the composer's work almost undefinable at times...don't get me wrong, I love drum corps...I'd just prefer a better marriage of the visual and the audio

5 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Stu, you have channeled my sentiments perfectly...My interest in drum corps started with the MUSIC..Visual design has become so overwhelmingly dominant that the equality that you spoke of is gone(imo)..Chopping or compromising the musical integrity makes the composer's work almost undefinable at times...don't get me wrong, I love drum corps...I'd just prefer a better marriage of the visual and the audio

Also my sentiments.  Film and movies actually call the background "music" a soundtrack, which implies that it is background sound, which is essentially what the "music" has become - a sound wallpaper.  Gone are the days of the background music of Max Steiner, Korngold, Berstein (not Leonard), Victor Young, Berhhard etc. and even John Williams, who actually composed music with melodies, not just rhythmic patterns with some burst of chords.  

Drum corps, I'm afraid, has mimiced  movies to a large extent.