G7 part 2, Eletronics Boogaloo

Stu

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I have a completely different take.

We adopted virtually none of the G7 ideas, and drum corps is far better off for it.

There is no sensible reason to divide WC against itself.  We already have three classes (WC, OC, and SoundSport), based on practical principles.

DCI, for all intents and purposes, really has four classes, imo... 1) The Blue Devils Class,  2) the rest of the World Class Corps, 3) the Open Class Corps, then 4) Soundsport Class.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

DCI, for all intents and purposes, really has four classes, imo... 1) The Blue Devils Class,  2) the rest of the World Class Corps, 3) the Open Class Corps, then 4) Soundsport Class..

Hah.  Some years it's hard to disagree with that!

Mike

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Stu, we love ya... we really do...

But I'm convinced that if I came on here and said something very simple, completely innocuous, as "It's a nice sunny day here in Baltimore".... you'd consider replying with, "But you're not downtown, right???  How can you say it's sunny in Baltimore if it might be cloudy downtown??? What about all those folks who might have put on sunscreen to visit the Inner Harbor, and now don't need as much sun protection???  Which is it.... is it sunny or cloudy, and why would you say it's sunny if if it's not necessarily true???" :tongue:

Geez Louise. :lol:

Jeff claims that he has the real inside truth scoop; but yet he 'drastically' changed his story concerning the six and their knowledge of the information within the presentation. That not just something very simple an innocuous like your weather analogy.

• Like 1

I have read this thread pretty thoroughly and found it enlightening, even if overstated in many cases.  But there is something that I don’t think I’ve seen addressed in the whole G7 issue.

I, and others I know who are drum corps fans, aren’t that hung up on the top 12 corps, much less the top 8.  We just like drum corps, and the more corps with that many more shows to take in, the merrier. 

I recently reconnected with a former student from my music teaching days and found out she’s a big drum corps fan.  Immediately we became animated as we talked about our favorite shows from this season and our personal favorite corps through the ages – Phantom Regiment, Scouts, etc.  I taught school in Delaware and Arizona and my student was born and raised in Delaware.  She went on and on about some local Delaware corps that aren’t around anymore.  What got her excited about a show – was getting her hair blown back with the great, big sound.

Over in Open Class, quite a few of us who were watching the 2017 prelims and finals on Flo got very excited about Southwind – and their scores weren’t that impressive.  But their sound was.  It was awesome and they had some great solos and ensembles that rivaled the top 12 corps.  But there they were, in Open Class, not even in the top 6 of OC, and yet they won our hearts and interest and future support with their music.

So I have to say that the arrogance of a group of people in positions of power to pretty much disregard, spurn, stamp as of no value or little value – Southwind, Academy, Troopers, Vanguard Cadets, Music City – MERELY because they are not in the top 8 placing corps – is puzzling to me.  I think they must hang out with people who have lost their pure love of music to think like that.  I just don’t get it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jeff claims that he has the real inside truth scoop; but yet he 'drastically' changed his story concerning the six and their knowledge of the information within the presentation. That not just something very simple an innocuous like your weather analogy.

As confusing as everyone's take is on what happened,  I don't see that anything about what Jeff said,  was drastically different from his initial explanation to his attempted re-explanation of it, albeit in a different way to you.  Your challenge of his precise vernacular or chronology or whatever you had issue with, comes across more as creating an argument for the sake of arguing about perceived lack of a precise explanation of what the 6 either knew, appeared to know or should have known for certain.  But no matter what,  the explanation I think Jeff was shooting for, in part or in total, is,  the 6 were aware of a proposal or a concept brought forth and they believed to be acceptable but at some point along the way to accepting it fully, it was quietly and unbeknownst to them, altered.  Once their was a full realization of what was altered, the consensus changed.  At least that's what I got from what Jeff was saying.  Overall there seems to be so many parts to this that have not all been totally connected.  It still is intriguing to read through all the explanations and perceptions, hearsay, supposition, assumption and the occasional fact.  It takes a while to dig through it all.  I'm still reading.  It is still better than most of the crap that was on here a year ago.

11 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I have read this thread pretty thoroughly and found it enlightening, even if overstated in many cases.  But there is something that I don’t think I’ve seen addressed in the whole G7 issue.

I, and others I know who are drum corps fans, aren’t that hung up on the top 12 corps, much less the top 8.  We just like drum corps, and the more corps with that many more shows to take in, the merrier. 

I recently reconnected with a former student from my music teaching days and found out she’s a big drum corps fan.  Immediately we became animated as we talked about our favorite shows from this season and our personal favorite corps through the ages – Phantom Regiment, Scouts, etc.  I taught school in Delaware and Arizona and my student was born and raised in Delaware.  She went on and on about some local Delaware corps that aren’t around anymore.  What got her excited about a show – was getting her hair blown back with the great, big sound.

Over in Open Class, quite a few of us who were watching the 2017 prelims and finals on Flo got very excited about Southwind – and their scores weren’t that impressive.  But their sound was.  It was awesome and they had some great solos and ensembles that rivaled the top 12 corps.  But there they were, in Open Class, not even in the top 6 of OC, and yet they won our hearts and interest and future support with their music.

So I have to say that the arrogance of a group of people in positions of power to pretty much disregard, spurn, stamp as of no value or little value – Southwind, Academy, Troopers, Vanguard Cadets, Music City – MERELY because they are not in the top 8 placing corps – is puzzling to me.  I think they must hang out with people who have lost their pure love of music to think like that.  I just don’t get it.

Oh, the G7 see the value alright; they see those corps as a feeding ground to entice the better performers from those corps to come audition and perform with the corps that make up 'the real show', the G7.  Moreover, the G7 just want most of the 'DCI show revenue', not individual corps revenue, but 'DCI show revenue' that all corps generated to go to the seven; which in turn would keep the quality of the seven high enough to entice the performers during the recruitment feeding frenzy.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

As confusing as everyone's take is on what happened,  I don't see that anything about what Jeff said,  was drastically different from his initial explanation to his attempted re-explanation of it, albeit in a different way to you.  Your challenge of his precise vernacular or chronology or whatever you had issue with, comes across more as creating an argument for the sake of arguing about perceived lack of a precise explanation of what the 6 either knew, appeared to know or should have known for certain.  But no matter what,  the explanation I think Jeff was shooting for, in part or in total, is,  the 6 were aware of a proposal or a concept brought forth and they believed to be acceptable but at some point along the way to accepting it fully, it was quietly and unbeknownst to them, altered.  Once their was a full realization of what was altered, the consensus changed.  At least that's what I got from what Jeff was saying.  Overall there seems to be so many parts to this that have not all been totally connected.  It still is intriguing to read through all the explanations and perceptions, hearsay, supposition, assumption and the occasional fact.  It takes a while to dig through it all.  I'm still reading.  It is still better than most of the crap that was on here a year ago.

Jeff's original claim, that six of the seven (did not know what was in the proposal) and were actually blindsided by that unknown information when it was leaked by him,  was over in the other thread.  While I am not  a conspiracy theorist, when this thread was split off from the other, not by me mind you, the posts where Jeff and I engaged in that particular debate on Sept 10 from around 3:00 to 6:00 were mysteriously deleted.  There is only one reference left in there which was at the end of that debate.  The one that is left is in reference to a statement from Jeff where he stated emphatically that the six had not seen the PowerPoint presentation prior to the leak, and that they were just as surprised at what was in the presentation at the same time as we were.  That is the story conflict in which he has presented here in this thread; and it is that conflict in which I am seeking him to resolve.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yeah that's right that you changed your story; and yeah that is right in what your words say.  But which story is it that you want to stick with; story 1 or story 2?

sure, you think that. 

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Stu, we love ya... we really do...

But I'm convinced that if I came on here and said something very simple, completely innocuous, as "It's a nice sunny day here in Baltimore".... you'd consider replying with, "But you're not downtown, right???  How can you say it's sunny in Baltimore if it might be cloudy downtown??? What about all those folks who might have put on sunscreen to visit the Inner Harbor, and now don't need as much sun protection???  Which is it.... is it sunny or cloudy, and why would you say it's sunny if if it's not necessarily true???" :tongue:

Geez Louise. :lol:

this is your best DCP post ever. All time. even better than anything you may have done on RAMD

52 minutes ago, Stu said:

no i didnt change my story. not once. my message has been consistent since 2010. In fact trying to get that thru your head in 2010 got me suspended while I was at DCI Finals.

But you believe what you want to believe, nothing anyone has ever posted here has gotten you to change your mind, even when flat out called out for being wrong.