In The News – Allentown Cadets: New Code Of Conduct Bans Supervisor-Subordinate Dating

The parent organization of the Allentown Cadets, the world-class drum and bugle corps rocked last month by allegations of sexual misconduct against its former CEO, has adopted a new sexual harassment policy and a code of conduct. The code explicitly prohibits managers or supervisors from having personal relationships with subordinates — the kind of relationships […]

View the full article

• Like 1

This policy is an important step in the right direction. It’s a policy that should have been in place for quite some time now, but what is more important now is not looking back at the past but moving forward. My only suggestion would be that anyone over 21 which would include volunteers not date marching members and where some corps have volunteers and interns under 21,they should be included as marching members as far as this policy is concerned. Perhaps this is intended in the policy and perhaps it is clearer in the actual written policy rather than the newspaper account provided, but an actual line you do not cross would be stronger.

That being said, all of the focus has been on Cadets for legitimate reasons, but other corps should be adopting similar policies if they have not done so already. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This policy is an important step in the right direction. It’s a policy that should have been in place for quite some time now, but what is more important now is not looking back at the past but moving forward. My only suggestion would be that anyone over 21 which would include volunteers not date marching members and where some corps have volunteers and interns under 21,they should be included as marching members as far as this policy is concerned. Perhaps this is intended in the policy and perhaps it is clearer in the actual written policy rather than the newspaper account provided, but an actual line you do not cross would be stronger.

That being said, all of the focus has been on Cadets for legitimate reasons, but other corps should be adopting similar policies if they have not done so already. 

I'm VERY glad they will be addressing the often overlooked aspect of  "toleration".

As quoted from the article...

The policies do not explicitly state whether people in positions of responsibility are mandated to report allegations of sexual misconduct involving adults and minors, Ray said, adding that such a policy is in development now.

Edited by Liahona

20 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Actually they need to check state laws regarding when people in charge know when sexual harassment and abuse of minors is occurring. For PA teachers have to report but not sure about other groups. Basically if you know of this and ignore it you might leave yourself open for legal punishment or at least lawsuit.

And still waiting for guidance on how marchers can report abuse. And how to report if you don’t trust the person you are supposed to report to.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually they need to check state laws regarding knowledge of sexual harassment and abuse of minors by people in charge. For PA teachers have to report but not sure about other groups. Basically if you know of this and ignore it you might leave yourself open for legal punishment or at least lawsuit.

I understand there MAY be legal repercussions...I still think a policy should be in place regardless of that...but you make a good point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

I understand there MAY be legal repercussions...I still think a policy should be in place regardless of that...but you make a good point.

Sorry if my post sounded like you didn’t understand. Using cell phone and couldn’t remove your name from my post (long story). Just wanted to bring up the point as there will probably be fine tuning in the months to come. See a couple things in the past few days that will probably be improved. IIRC one of the new policies said harassment of employees and staff must be reported. But nothing said about marchers which hopefully was just something missed in the first draft.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Times are tough all around in Drum Corps..

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, 84BDsop said:

What about a sitch where 2 people ALREADY in a relationship join the staff?  Tom Float as perc cap head and his wife Catherine as FE arranger, for example?

That’s a husband and wife.  Like the Rennicks with SCV.  I can’t imagine that anyone would have a gripe with that.  

• Like 1