Do you care if more than one corps plays...

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The one and only.  The problem was that Xmen scored higher in that championship than a few finalists.  Awkward!  lol 

The prelims in 1979 was controversial in the first place. Without penalties Troopers and Crossmen tied but when penalties were tabulated, Troopers made finals and I believe Crossmen disputed the penalties. I knew people who marched with 27th, North Star, and BAC that year who claimed the Associates finals was part of a conspiracy to get Troopers back in finals and give whatever corps did not make finals a consolation prize. I think if you look at the historic thread this gets mentioned and Troopers fans will recall the Miracle of 79. All a matter of perspective. This could have been fueled by the previous year. Lots of folks in Boston predicted three corps from Massachusetts in finals that year: North Star, 27th, and BAC, Garfield was looking good too and my guess is Capital Freelancer fans thought they were a shoe in, and Kilties found themselves in finals, much to the chagrin of BAC and Garfield. 

Finding youself in 13th when you are predicted to be a finalist is difficult. I can remember in 2012 Blue Stars semi performance was missing something, though it was not a bad performance, but it did not have the spark of the other performances I saw, Crossmen had the show of a lifetime. Though I was thrilled for Crossmen, I gained a lot of respect for Blue Stars that year. That was in the days of the parade and though their hearts were broken, they put on a brave face for the parade. I was thrilled BAC made finals in 2016, but I did feel bad for Madison.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

The prelims in 1979 was controversial in the first place. Without penalties Troopers and Crossmen tied but when penalties were tabulated, Troopers made finals and I believe Crossmen disputed the penalties. I knew people who marched with 27th, North Star, and BAC that year who claimed the Associates finals was part of a conspiracy to get Troopers back in finals and give whatever corps did not make finals a consolation prize. I think if you look at the historic thread this gets mentioned and Troopers fans will recall the Miracle of 79. All a matter of perspective. This could have been fueled by the previous year. Lots of folks in Boston predicted three corps from Massachusetts in finals that year: North Star, 27th, and BAC, Garfield was looking good too and my guess is Capital Freelancer fans thought they were a shoe in, and Kilties found themselves in finals, much to the chagrin of BAC and Garfield. 

Finding youself in 13th when you are predicted to be a finalist is difficult. I can remember in 2012 Blue Stars semi performance was missing something, though it was not a bad performance, but it did not have the spark of the other performances I saw, Crossmen had the show of a lifetime. Though I was thrilled for Crossmen, I gained a lot of respect for Blue Stars that year. That was in the days of the parade and though their hearts were broken, they put on a brave face for the parade. I was thrilled BAC made finals in 2016, but I did feel bad for Madison.

I don’t think Kilties made finals in 79.  78 they were 12th.   I do know the Guardsmen went from 10th to 7th.  That I’ll never forget.  They beat the Scouts, which was kind of funny because a few guys left Guardsmen to march Scouts. 

1)  93.55  Blue Devils           Chicago 3 Suite-Suerta de Tontos-My Heart Belongs to Me
2)  92.75  Phantom Regiment      Finale Sym #3-Malambo-Piano Concerto-Hall Mtn King-Elsa
3)  92.75  Santa Clara Vanguard  Verdi's Requiem-Gayne Ballet Suite-If you Believe-Bottle Dance
4)  89.90  Spirit of Atlanta     Georgia-Nuttville-Sweet GA Brown-Let it Be Me
5)  86.40  27th Lancers          Folk Song Suite-Open Wide-Danny Boy
6)  86.20  Bridgemen             Pagliacci-Spanish Dreams-Cachaca-Bugle Boy-Civil War Medley
7)  85.30  Guardsmen             Fanfare for the New-Tiger of San Pedro-Henry V-Greensleeves
8)  84.50  Madison Scouts        Sorcerer-Bohemian Rhapsody-Grananda-Pieces of Dreams
9)  83.30  North Star            Children of Sanchez-Bellavia-Ole-Cookout-Beach Boys Medley
10) 83.05  Blue Stars            St Louis Blues-Birdland-La Fiesta-Strike Up the Band-Sanchez
11) 78.50  Cavaliers             Santa Esmerelda-Fantasy-Cuban Fire-Over the Rainbow-Sanchez
12) 77.90  Troopers              Variations-Aquarius-Sunshine In-Billy the Kid-Ecstasy/Riders

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

1)  93.55  Blue Devils           Chicago 3 Suite-Suerta de Tontos-My Heart Belongs to Me
2)  92.75  Phantom Regiment      Finale Sym #3-Malambo-Piano Concerto-Hall Mtn King-Elsa
3)  92.75  Santa Clara Vanguard  Verdi's Requiem-Gayne Ballet Suite-If you Believe-Bottle Dance
4)  89.90  Spirit of Atlanta     Georgia-Nuttville-Sweet GA Brown-Let it Be Me
5)  86.40  27th Lancers          Folk Song Suite-Open Wide-Danny Boy
6)  86.20  Bridgemen             Pagliacci-Spanish Dreams-Cachaca-Bugle Boy-Civil War Medley
7)  85.30  Guardsmen             Fanfare for the New-Tiger of San Pedro-Henry V-Greensleeves
8)  84.50  Madison Scouts        Sorcerer-Bohemian Rhapsody-Grananda-Pieces of Dreams
9)  83.30  North Star            Children of Sanchez-Bellavia-Ole-Cookout-Beach Boys Medley
10) 83.05  Blue Stars            St Louis Blues-Birdland-La Fiesta-Strike Up the Band-Sanchez
11) 78.50  Cavaliers             Santa Esmerelda-Fantasy-Cuban Fire-Over the Rainbow-Sanchez
12) 77.90  Troopers              Variations-Aquarius-Sunshine In-Billy the Kid-Ecstasy/Riders

Dashes may not be the best way to separate the pieces.  I read:

Concerto Hall

Wide Danny

Cachaca Bugle

New Tiger

Ole Cookout

Fire over the Rainbow

Kid Ecstasy

What abut

Crossmen playing Exit music by Radiohead in 2017.

and

Blue Knights Playing it 2018.

Edited by 777hornman

22 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think Kilties made finals in 79.  78 they were 12th.   I do know the Guardsmen went from 10th to 7th.  That I’ll never forget.  They beat the Scouts, which was kind of funny because a few guys left Guardsmen to march Scouts. 

Kilties did not make finals in 1979. The previous year, 1978 was the year prelims was so close and it was decided to try Associates in 1979. 

18 hours ago, skevinp said:

Concerto Hall

Wide Danny

Cachaca Bugle

New Tiger

Ole Cookout

Fire over the Rainbow

Kid Ecstasy

Really, this is something we need to ##### about?

18 hours ago, skevinp said:

Concerto Hall

Wide Danny

Cachaca Bugle

New Tiger

Ole Cookout

Fire over the Rainbow

Kid Ecstasy

Then you read the titles perfectly well. I've always loved "Wide Danny", and "Cachaca Bugle" is a classic.   :wacko: