Allentown tips

This season will be my first trip to Allentown for DCI shows (both in June and the 2-nights in Aug). Reading some other posts, it sounds like parking and getting to and from the stadium is not an easy task. Any tips for someone who's never been there on where to look for parking, when to arrive, warm-up areas, etc? And before I get flamed for asking about warm-up areas, it's not to skip the early corps to watch in the lot. I'm jumping on tour both times to work the food truck, and was wondering where they normally are so I know where to take my gear before entering the stadium. I have zero knowledge of the area, so if you know landmarks or street names that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season will be my first trip to Allentown for DCI shows (both in June and the 2-nights in Aug). Reading some other posts, it sounds like parking and getting to and from the stadium is not an easy task. Any tips for someone who's never been there on where to look for parking, when to arrive, warm-up areas, etc? And before I get flamed for asking about warm-up areas, it's not to skip the early corps to watch in the lot. I'm jumping on tour both times to work the food truck, and was wondering where they normally are so I know where to take my gear before entering the stadium. I have zero knowledge of the area, so if you know landmarks or street names that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance

Get there really early. Go to the diner. Have a long lunch. Walk to the stadium.

Thanks in advance

It's good that you will be there on June 18.....kind of gives you a chance to check things out a bit. The crowd/activity around the stadium will be "Much more" (obviously) during the DCI east in August.

Stadium is between Turner and West Linden street . Both of these streets will offer minmal parking. There should be some parking Chew st. Buses and trucks for the corps are parked on West Linden street and Cedar Creek road. To get a birdseye view of the stadium and surrounding area.....go to google maps and do a search for cedar creek road Allentown, PA. Choose the satelite view. You will see a large grassy park like area to the west of the stadium (with a large pond)....this is where the majority of the corps warmup.

Parking:

Some areas near the stadium (Including the Hamilton diner) offer parking....for I think 5 - $10.00. They may not do this for the show in June. You also have to get there real early to get access to these spots. Most of the parking that I am familiar with is side streets. There are a handful of one-way streets in the area as well.

If you have special considerations about walking around the stadium area.....Just be aware that on the Tuner street/Chew street is on the top of a hill.....the Hamilton side is on the down hill side.

Eating:

There is the Hamilton Family Restaurant (diner) located right next to the stadium at the corner of Hamilton St and North St Elmo street. Very popular...and during the August shows you want to get there early for sure. Probably no later than 3:00 or so.

If you don't mind going a little out of the area......you could go west on Hamilton St. about 2 miles from the stadium and there a couple of eating choices there. In this area there is a TGIF's at 395 South Cedar Crest Boulevard

Hotels:

Near the eating choices....there are a couple of hotels on Hamilton St

Edited by Triple Forte

agree on parking, and yes, out at hamilton/Cedar Crest/Dorneyville area you'll have several local and name eateries to choose from

Ham Fam for every meal. And Lupo's if you're a drinker. And get one of those snow cones the size of your head at the stadium. And go watch Crown rehearse at the middle school up the street or see whoever else is in the stadium, usually the Cadets.

The HamFam...

I think I remember seeing Atchinson and Crocker there.

And don't forget the Fried Pierogies!

DEFINITELY eat at the HAMFAM!! I think you can pay to park in their parking lot for the show and walk a SHORT way up the hill to the stadium. After the show, when you walk back down to your car, you'll run into many of the corps busses parked between the HAMFAM and the stadium-- it's always fun walking among the kids-- kids from different corps visiting with each other-- sharing late snacks from their respective food trucks with each other. The atmosphere is WONDERFUL.

There's nothing like Allentown. It's a beautiful place, and the goosebumps you get sitting in those stands, which are only on ONE SIDE of the stadium, and looking out at the (I think) Pocono mountains!! If you have the time, ride around in the areas around the stadium. It's like a bunch of park areas, and I know that Crown will again be in one of those areas practicing. not just before the show, but all day. A bunch of other corps are in those areas too.

Also, I don't know where you're from, but being from the south, the nights in Allentown are wonderfully cool. It's plenty hot till the sun goes down, then it cools off amazingly!! The atmosphere in the stands is wonderful too. The crowd really shows its appreciation by cheering for each corps.

Have a great time!! I hope I can get there this year, too.

Make sure you go to the park after the show as there are many special musical treats offered by corps.

Edited by cage

I agree about getting there early. I prefer parking on the street right behind the stadium ("home stands"). It's a shorter walk to your seats then if you park down front...plus you don't have to climb the hill inside. Since we get there early, we usually bring hoagies and such, put out a blanket and have a picnic dinner...you will see numerous people doing this...both behind the stadium and in the park...at least I think you can still eat in the park. I find this much more enjoyable then eating out and getting to the stadium later. Several years ago, there was usually a corps rehearsing outside the stadium to watch in the afternoon, but since they built that new baseball(?) field, there hasn't been a corps there. Corps warm up in the park. Depending on the corps you are looking for, it could be a hike to and from the stadium. I hope you enjoy your experience there. I've been going since 1977 (missing only a couple years to march DCA and get married)...I've always had a good time there.

Edited by G-Rott

The neighborhood streets SOUTH of Hamilton Street, bounded on the East by S. St. Elmo, on the west by S. Glenwood St., and north of Union Street are ALWAYS underutilized. That's a very safe area with well-cared for homes.

CAUTION: Take extra care crossing Hamilton Street on foot. Cars go by pretty quickly and you will be crossing four lanes. It's especially tough at night if the Allentown Police don't show-up to help.

Yes, support the Hamilton Family Diner. The owner goes out of his way to help our event's spectators. It does get very crowded. For something a little more upscale, say $25 per person, not counting drinks, try Youell's Oyster House, one block south of Hamilton on E. Walnut in the neighborhood described.

Any neighborhood east of 15th Street should be avoided due to crime problems.