Cadets request show ideas

What WILL happen is that the program will live at different levels, but all communication will center upon the idea of one, two or more sides to the field.

Some hints:

· The field does not have to be split at the 50

· Where the split occurs can change

· There are times, where both "sides" can be presented "now."

Well, it has to be in a form that will allow for us to relate that there are multiple ideas present, or that we can adapt. For example:

· Percussion at one tempo and brass at another

· A soloist vs. the entire ensemble

· Two tunes playing in juxtaposition

· Tempo or meter variations

· Ballad vs. an up-tempo tune

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/103335-the-drum-corps-activity-some-controversy-and-new-designs/page__view__findpost__p__2059685

You know, if a corps director really wanted to use open source ideas to create a show without anyone ever knowing, they could have been using this site and its "Your Show Ideas" threads for years!

Maybe Hop read danielray's posts at 2 am one night?

You know, if a corps director really wanted to use open source ideas to create a show without anyone ever knowing, they could have been using this site and its "Your Show Ideas" threads for years!

Maybe Hop read danielray's posts at 2 am one night?

Or...

Cavaliers (stilts)

Bluecoats (cat's cradle)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/103335-the-drum-corps-activity-some-controversy-and-new-designs/page__view__findpost__p__2055673

Bluedevils (uniform)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/103335-the-drum-corps-activity-some-controversy-and-new-designs/page__view__findpost__p__2058794

Bluedevils (building the house)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/103335-the-drum-corps-activity-some-controversy-and-new-designs/page__view__findpost__p__2059758

Crown (cubes)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/103335-the-drum-corps-activity-some-controversy-and-new-designs/page__view__findpost__p__2059826

There's loads more... maybe DCP actually does have an influence on corps, if even subconscious? :)

I think that the piece Albion by Jan Van der Roost is a perfect fit for the overall theme and concept for the Cadets 2013 show.... it is in two parts

Would love to see them play some more Van der Roost.

Would love to see them play some more Van der Roost.

I thought Van der Roost was one of those "not drum corps friendly" composers. I remember reading that he doesn't allow arrangements anymore of his work to be done. Although I hope that I am wrong, it would be cool to see more of his work on the field

I thought Van der Roost was one of those "not drum corps friendly" composers. I remember reading that he doesn't allow arrangements anymore of his work to be done. Although I hope that I am wrong, it would be cool to see more of his work on the field

I could kind of see this. Considering he is a cornerstone writer for the brass band realm, it wouldn't make much sense to allow someone else to have their way with your music, when you could probably arrange it equally as well.

I think that the piece Albion by Jan Van der Roost is a perfect fit for the overall theme and concept for the Cadets 2013 show.... it is in two parts

Wow! Hope you sent this to hop! This would be amazing... I love the dark chorale under the snare and horn din.

Also can I suggest Inception Soundtrack!? Because Inception would be awesome. I'm sure you can arrange it to be whatever you'd like for the concept.

http://www.copycatlicensing.com/Links/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/697/Default.aspx

Arrangement license fees for the music of Johan de Meij, Jan van der Roost, Stephen Melillo & Philip Sparke are generally around $1,500 per song.

This implies that it is possible to secure the rights. Although it does not speak to the likelihood. A few years ago, the above composers were involved in a licensing skirmish with BOA. It caused a fairly significant delay on BOA video products. I cannot find a direct link to BOA's press release, but here is the text announcing their settlement reproduced from multiple websites and forums:

Bands of America, Inc.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 31, 2006

The undersigned entities and persons have jointly released for public knowledge the following release and informational statement.

The undersigned wish to confirm their mutual respect for the rights of composers, the integrity of copyrights, the value of music, and the importance of music education. Consistent with these views, the parties acknowledge that composers and publishers have the inherent right to be properly compensated for the commercial use of their music, and the corresponding right to enforce theirs copyrights by legal action if necessary. This naturally includes those instances in which copyrighted compositions are performed, recorded, and subsequently distributed in CDs, videos and/or DVDs. Recently, the undersigned have been involved in litigation related to the foregoing. We are pleased to announce that we have resolved that dispute. In so doing, we look forward to the continued promotion of music education (both curricular and extracurricular), while adhering to the important and beneficial safeguards of the U.S. Copyright laws.

Bands of America

Scott McCormick, President and CEO

Eric Martin, Vice President and COO

Johan de Meij

Philip Sparke

Jan Van der Roost

Stephen Melillo

Amstel Music, BV

De Haske Music Publications, BV

Anglo Music Press

Studio Music Company

Stormworks

Since the year of that tussle (2006), there has been zero Van der Roost. I only see one documented DCI usage of de Meij (2009 Cavaliers) and one documented Sparke (2009 7th Regiment). The most telling is Melillo, who's work saw frequent usage in the 2000's (mostly in smaller divisions) and stopped dead cold after 2005.

Last Van der Roost in DCI was 1999, Les Stentors. Funny thing is that they also did de Meij's Lord of The Rings in 1998 and I would be shocked if that was a cleared copyright. So make of it what you will.

Edited by mingusmonk