Future of the Cadets

I've seen the Cadets on several occasions already, and while the corps is performing very well, I don't think the show is very good. IMO, the musical package is unable to stand on its own without the narration. This, to me, is a poor design.
Good point. The Pacific Crest show would move along just fine without the narration. We'd understand the Vegas thing even if a girl didn't say "you lose a lot of money when you come here" or something like that. This is indicative of good design.

While trying to be totally objective in looking at newer ideas versus tradition etc, and based upon everything I know about the sheet design in DCI (which may be little); I believe that in terms of scoring, based upon the above comments, the narration in the Cadets show must rewarded and the narration in Pacific Crest's show discarded as extraneous.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I don't see that as what miles was talking about at all....

It's more like this...

You are free to hold whatever opinion you wish about a show you have seen...or in this case, haven't seen, but to then make claims about what is and isn't "good design", as if there is only one single way to achieve that, is what miles was referring to.

MikeD, I have generally supported you in defense of the Cadets when folks got ugly, but I have to agree with the overall concensus. This show would be fantastic without the narration, and I think that is a point that folks are trying to drive home here. I have no problem with narration, just think the Cadets are selling themselves short by using so much narration in this particular show.

We get it. We are clear about what drurm corps is. Cadets have been around the block a few times.

MikeD, I have generally supported you in defense of the Cadets when folks got ugly, but I have to agree with the overall concensus. This show would be fantastic without the narration, and I think that is a point that folks are trying to drive home here. I have no problem with narration, just think the Cadets are selling themselves short by using so much narration in this particular show.

We get it. We are clear about what drurm corps is. Cadets have been around the block a few times.

Yes they have, and they should have known better than to come out with a weak show that relies on narration. - Just pathetic.

They are doing so well because they play less than other corps, and it's a fairly easy drill compared to what the other tops corps are putting on the field.

Edited by Jazzycat1

:angry: M'kay, well to get back to the question......

No, I don't think the Cadets will run out of steam with this show. Some shows, like their 2004 show and the 2002 show I don't think they could have won with no matter how well it is performed. This one is different. They will not "peak" and then simply not continue to build or add in things.

I suspect we will see a 3 or 4 way tight battle at the top (I don't think it will be tight all the way to 6th--I suspect Crown's show will peak...but that's another thread). The Cadets will be in the thick of it. I don't think their scores now guarantee a win, but I do think they indicate the potential this show has to go all the way.

Its also evidently really good with the narration as well. We've heard reports mostly of standing o's after the show, and rising scores as well.

A bunch of people making noise on DCP does not constitute a concensus.

No problem with your thinking what you wish about ths cadets show. My comment was about trying to assert that there is only one way to create a well designed show.

And this year's show is magnificent....

Its also evidently really good with the narration as well. We've heard reports mostly of standing o's after the show, and rising scores as well.

A bunch of people making noise on DCP does not constitute a concensus.

b**bs wait...you mean.......the people on this board don't speak for all drump corps crowds around the globe? Wow. All these posts in the threads about judging and the Cadets led me to believe otherwise....

[/sarcasm off] :P

Yes they have, and they should have known better than to come out with a weak show that relies on narration. - Just pathetic. They are doing so well because they play less than other corps, and it's a fairly easy drill compared to what the other tops corps are putting on the field.

A weak show? You've gotta be kidding me!! This show is not even close to being weak in my opinion. Narration is apart of the show. The show does not rely on it. To me it is just like having a trumpet part, mello part etc... Sure, it may be too much or too cheesy, but the narration I think is just another added part to the show. And I don't think it's pathetic either. If they are playing less music than other corps, SO WHAT?!! The Cadets play a lot of music with lots of notes in other shows they put on the field.

Edited by 2000Cadet

A weak show? You've gotta be kidding me!! This show is not even close to being weak in my opinion. Narration is apart of the show. The show does not rely on it. To me it is just like having a trumpet part, mello part etc... Sure, it may be too much or too cheesy, but the narration I think is just another added part to the show. And I don't think it's pathetic either. I think it is too much and that some parts aren't needed, but I don't think it's pathetic.

Thanks a lot, MikeD for showing me how to edit..... :) :angry:

Edited by 2000Cadet

So which is it; would the show be better off without the narration, or is it a bad show because it CANT stand without the narration. If i had to pick a viewpoint (because i dont really agree with either), at least the first one is consistent. Not liking narration is fine, but saying the design is poor because the cadets are locked into using it is pretty silly.