Some Allentown Frustration

I hate that my first post is laced with a negative tone but this just bothers me.

I looked at the percussion scores from last night in Allentown and something really stood out.

Cadets 8.70-8.70 (17.40) 8.40-8.60 (17.00) Difference Total= .40

Scv 7.90-8.20 (16.10) 8.40-8.20 (16.35) Difference Total= .25

Phantom 8.20-8.90 (17.10) 8.50-8.40 (16.90) Difference Total= .20

Crown 8.40-8.50 (16.90) 8.10-7.50 (15.60) Difference Total=1.30

Boston 8.10-8.40 (16.50) 8.00-7.70 (16.20) Difference Total= .30

Spirit 7.60-7.70 (15.30) 7.60-7.50 (15.20) Difference Total= .10

Why is it that the percussion judges can be very consistent for everyone but crown? As you can see, there was a 1.30 difference in total score for the two sets of judges. Seems to me that they had no problem keeping a consistent measurement with everyone else.

Here is my beef with this:

If you make the lower of crowns two percussion score set totals just .25 lower than the first, you are giving them the average difference in score from the corps scores sampled above. Basically you are making it consistent. Doing that, crown would have a 16.9 and a 16.65. Now, I know some of you will say, and understandably so, who's to say crowns higher score shoudlnt be lowered rather than raising the lower score to only .25 lower than the higher. Bristol Rhode Island is why. Bristol Rhode Island, crown scored a 16.40 in percussion. Not only that, but crown's percussion has been scoring 16 or higher since late June about 5 shows ago. Suddenly they are back to 15.60?

Now here is my point:

If you do what I said above as an average of what you would expect the parity in scores to be from judge set to judge set, you would have not have cost crown a half a point in over all score. Thats right, that oddity of a low score cost crown a half of a point. That half of a point would have launched them into 3rd place, and as we know, as the season gets later, placement matters more for seeding.

Ok so there is my rant. Feel free to comment.

Edited by AFcorpsvette

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

second place? really, is that the correct math?

I hate that my first post is laced with a negative tone but this just bothers me.

I looked at the percussion scores from last night in Allentown and something really stood out.

Why is it that the percussion judges can be very consistent for everyone but crown? As you can see, there was a 1.30 difference in total score for the two sets of judges. Seems to me that they had no problem keeping a consistent measurement with everyone else.

If you make the lower of crowns two percussion score set totals just .25 lower than the first, you are giving them the average difference in score from the corps scores sampled above. Basically you are making it consistent. Doing that, crown would have a 16.9 and a 16.65. Now, I know some of you will say, and understandably so, who's to say crowns higher score shoudlnt be lowered rather than raising the lower score to only .25 lower than the higher. Bristol Rhode Island is why. Bristol Rhode Island, crown scored a 16.40 in percussion. Not only that, but crown's percussion has been scoring 16 or higher since late June about 5 shows ago. Suddenly they are back to 15.60?

Now here is my point:

If you do what I said above as an average of what you would expect the parity in scores to be from judge set to judge set, you would have not have cost crown a half a point in over all score. Thats right, that oddity of a low score cost crown a half of a point. That half of a point would have launched them into 2nd place, and as we know, as the season gets later, placement matters more for seeding.

First of all, if both judges gave Crown a 16.9 (the higher score), that would raise their score by .65. That would move them into 3rd place, not second place.

Secondly, aren't the two percussion judges judging different aspects of performance from different vantage points? It would be more unrealistic if their scores WERE the same.

The 2-judge percussion system changes things A LOT. Because the judges are staged differently so they are picking up on different things.

Spirit dropped 2.2 in GE alone. That seems odd to me.

Odd and disappointing, for whatever the reason...

Secondly, aren't the two percussion judges judging different aspects of performance from different vantage points? It would be more unrealistic if their scores WERE the same.

I think his point was that out of the top 6 corps the two judges WERE pretty much the same on

5 of the corps (within .1 to .4) but had a big gap with Crown. Yes, they are at different vantage

points, but it does make you wonder why the big difference with this particular line?

Now here is my point:

If you do what I said above as an average of what you would expect the parity in scores to be from judge set to judge set, you would have not have cost crown a half a point in over all score. Thats right, that oddity of a low score cost crown a half of a point. That half of a point would have launched them into 2nd place, and as we know, as the season gets later, placement matters more for seeding.

Check out SCV's placements: Judge 1 they were 5th, Jude 2 they were 3. Yikes...

It's really quite simple to explain. Allen Kristensen was judging. Crown has been consistently way ahead of Boston the entire season. The only times that Boston has been ahead is when Kristensen judged them. For that matter, Kristensen has knocked Crown virtually every time he has judged them for the last few years.