Could the cadets be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

most unpopular dci victory?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. are cadets maybe heading for the most un popular dci win of all time

• yes
    • no

That's bogus though. There are people here who say they HATE narration in EVERY form, but those same people talk about how much they love it when another corps does it. That's hypocritical.

Most people here evaluate usage on a case by case basis. I don't think I've seen anyone who claims to hate every form of it suddenly laud its usage by one corps.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just depends on how much there is and the text, to me. If it's well written, I can enjoy it. If it's not, well that's a different story. It's definatly a case by case thing.

True story: at the Classic Countdown I went to, they had to open up a second theater because so many people showed up. Both theaters were packed. In the theater I was in, there were easily more people than who actually voted for Crown to get into the countdown, and after they finished the show, NOT A SINGLE PERSON CLAPPED. It was stunning. Every other show got SOME sort of applause, but this was just met with complete silence. And then once people realized it, a few chuckles.

Well, at North Brunswick Crown had a very good reaction from the audience...far better than many of the other corps.

That's bogus though. There are people here who say they HATE narration in EVERY form, but those same people talk about how much they love it when another corps does it. That's hypocritical.

Who? Which same people? Please be specific.

And hey, I dig the Cadets and have never really had any problems with their present or past use of the technology (aside from the actual quality of their sound system, which I think needs improvement!). I'm just saying, as much as I admire the Cadet fan/former member's allegiance to their corps, they need to accept the fact that being part of the Cadets means dealing with criticism. Such has it always been. Not everyone has to like them. And when they go out of their way to push a hot-button with the fans, you're going to get even more pointed criticism. It's OK. The corps can deal with it. The staff can deal with it. They're doing their thing. Sometimes their supporters simply need to grow a thicker skin around here.

Well, at North Brunswick Crown had a very good reaction from the audience...far better than many of the other corps.

At the theater I went to, which was packed, not a single person applauded. Not one. And every other corps got at least SOME kind of applause. So there you go. Different strokes.

Show me an example of this -- where the SAME PERSON said they HATE narration in every form and then said they love it when a non-Cadets corps does it. I don't know if this has happened or not, although I've never noticed. You seem to have, so I would be curious to see this ....

And Crown did take a beating on these boards -- by many the same folks who bashed BAC, Cascades, Blue Stars, Bluecoats drumspeak, and, yes, the Cadets. You can predict, with uncanny consistency, who would enter a thread about any of these topics over the last few years to go that direction. The folks that voted Crown and BC onto the Classic Countdown are most certainly different folks than those who were most vocal in an anti- way on these boards.

Imagine that -- not everyone on DCP thinks alike :beer:

Who? Which same people? Please be specific.

And hey, I dig the Cadets and have never really had any problems with their present or past use of the technology (aside from the actual quality of their sound system, which I think needs improvement!). I'm just saying, as much as I admire the Cadet fan/former member's allegiance to their corps, they need to accept the fact that being part of the Cadets means dealing with criticism. Such has it always been. Not everyone has to like them. And when they go out of their way to push a hot-button with the fans, you're going to get even more pointed criticism. It's OK. The corps can deal with it. The staff can deal with it. They're doing their thing. Sometimes their supporters simply need to grow a thicker skin around here.

Dude, trust me, I have accepted the fact that I have to deal with critism, believe me, I have. But also, people who dislike what the corps does have to ACCEPT the fact that there will be people like myself who will defend the organization. Trust me, I don't like the narration as much as the next guy, and I have continuously made that clear. But that is not going to cloud my judgement of the show as a whole.

Show me an example of this -- where the SAME PERSON said they HATE narration in every form and then said they love it when a non-Cadets corps does it. I don't know if this has happened or not, although I've never noticed. You seem to have, so I would be curious to see this ....

And Crown did take a beating on these boards -- by many the same folks who bashed BAC, Cascades, Blue Stars, Bluecoats drumspeak, and, yes, the Cadets. You can predict, with uncanny consistency, who would enter a thread about any of these topics over the last few years to go that direction. The folks that voted Crown and BC onto the Classic Countdown are most certainly different folks than those who were most vocal in an anti- way on these boards.

Imagine that -- not everyone on DCP thinks alike :beer:

I do have an example, a CLEAR example of this, but I am choosing not to call that person out.

I do have an example, a CLEAR example of this, but I am choosing not to call that person out.

Well, okay -- but your earlier statement seemed to paint a much broader stroke, like it was endemic that folks said they hate narration in all forms but then only apply that to the Cadets. Now you're saying one person. Look, some folks dislike narration. The Cadets have used narration more than anyone over the last 3-4 year span. Therefore, the Cadets are going to get more criticism than other corps by those folks.

I appreciate that you don't want to call someone out here -- could you at least PM me the details without revealing the name just because I have not seen that so blatently and would like to see what you're talking about.

Well, okay -- but your earlier statement seemed to paint a much broader stroke, like it was endemic that folks said they hate narration in all forms but then only apply that to the Cadets. Now you're saying one person. Look, some folks dislike narration. The Cadets have used narration more than anyone over the last 3-4 year span. Therefore, the Cadets are going to get more criticism than other corps by those folks.

I appreciate that you don't want to call someone out here -- could you at least PM me the details without revealing the name just because I have not seen that so blatently and would like to see what you're talking about.

Curiousity killed the cat.

Also as far as the Cadets getting criticism for it, I am sure they don't mind seeing as how they won one year with it (and winning all captions, no less) and they are doing pretty well with it this year. So criticise all you want. I am sure they'll continue to push the criticism over a cliff and continue working to perfect their show.

Edited by 2000Cadet