Could the cadets be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

most unpopular dci victory?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. are cadets maybe heading for the most un popular dci win of all time

• yes
    • no

Ok firstly Im not trying to cause a stir here. Cadets are marching and playing very well! and have a great drum and hornline, they are looking pretty unstoppable at the moment. People will shout DCI year 2000 with the cadets strong leading up to finals, etc still with the exception of devils who seem to be getting into there stride a bit, they look very close too that title.

The question is if the cadets do win will it be the most controversial dci win ever.

Has happened before Star in 1991 comes to mind. With all the narration hate out there, and general polls of who going 2 win with alot of the fans putting phantom/vanguard/devils top, with fans not likely alot of distraction from the music, with the narration etc!

comments!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this years program is getting a much better crowd response than they did in 2005

personally I find it quite entertaining

2005 was less popular imo

Star 1991 was as much about Cavalier, Regiment & Scout fans wanting their corps to win vs Star. I didn't really see that program as unpopular - but Cavaliers program in number two was very well liked.

Ok firstly Im not trying to cause a stir here. Cadets are marching and playing very well! and have a great drum and hornline, they are looking pretty unstoppable at the moment. People will shout DCI year 2000 with the cadets strong leading up to finals, etc still with the exception of devils who seem to be getting into there stride a bit, they look very close too that title.

The question is if the cadets do win will it be the most controversial dci win ever.

Has happened before Star in 1991 comes to mind. With all the narration hate out there, and general polls of who going 2 win with alot of the fans putting phantom/vanguard/devils top, with fans not likely alot of distraction from the music, with the narration etc!

comments!

I don't honestly think they will win it all. The Blue Devils showed again last night that the Cadets can be bested. Unfortunately, I think the Cadets will be in the top 5, unfortunate because the narration ruins the show. If they did win, It would be very unpopular. They are obviously drumming and blowing really well - that's a fact. Too bad there has to be narration.....

.....Not really

Yes they did. Same judges - same show - BESTED!

First of all, I don't think the poll question is necessary. The poll question presupposes that everyone and their brother hates the Cadets, and that is just not true. People on here need to be careful about stereotypes and also about understanding just how small this market called "DCP" is.

By all accounts, everything I have seen points to the FACT that the Cadets are generating tons of great response from the fans. Their shows have been getting standing ovations. Unfortunately, these are the things you don't read on DCP because reviewers and others don't want to report that stuff. Those that do are labeled homers or "Borgs," but for the most part people on DCP, who do not like this show, would prefer to keep the pressure on GH and to keep the armies enlisted and ready to attack when needed.

I, myself, am not a fan of their narration, and personally I find what the Bluecoats are doing to be much more pleasing and professional, but I also pride myself on calling it the way it is and being honest with what is real and what is just my prejudice or preference. I have read some amazing reviews of the Cadets, and one of those was written by a BOD member for the Bluecoats organization who is not exactly a fan of GH or his ideas, and he hates their narration, yet he clearly was impressed and excited their show, their ability and their performance.

A poll, such as this one, does not help to clarify anything because it is given to a very limited populace, and in that niche market there are those who will lash out against anything that a corps run by GH does, and the validity of the poll is turned into a political dogfight. Yet, in the real world, the DCI show with fans from every walk of life and musical preference, one notices that the Cadets are getting big audience response, that their show is a fan favorite in many instances, and it is even getting standing ovations. Not everyone is walking out due to narration, and as much as I hate their version of narration I am sure I can still watch their show and just love the music and execution, and I can do so and still give credit to those hard-working members.

Regardless of placement, this show will be a pleaser at finals. It already is, and will only be better come finals. Yes, people will continue to debate the narration, but they will also continue to debate amps, singing, electronics, etc. So what else is knew?

From what I hear, this could be one of the Cadets most entertaining shows in a long while, especially if they can tone down the narration a bit, and that alone makes it far different from Star 1993 or even Cadets 2005.

I don't honestly think they will win it all. The Blue Devils showed again last night that the Cadets can be bested. Unfortunately, I think the Cadets will be in the top 5, unfortunate because the narration ruins the show. If they did win, It would be very unpopular. They are obviously drumming and blowing really well - that's a fact. Too bad there has to be narration.....

Well, according to you, Cadets can do no better than 5th this summer anyway. Secondly, they were not beaten this weekend. I know how giddy you probably were last night with this faulty logic once the scores were announced, but only if BD beats them head to head tonight will they have been "bested". Last night's scores only showed how much better BD was than Cavies, on that night.

IF they win...and I stress "if"...I think this will be the most unpopular show. 2005 was the first year that narration was used extensively by multiple corps and much of the outrage directed at The Cadets that year was based on the simple use of that element. In 2005, The Cadets only used an introductory statement that set the tone for The Zone, a la a Twilight Zone tv intro, and then for the Bjork-speak and drum solo (which I thought was really cool). I think that ultimately a lot of people (certainly not all) came to appreciate it's use in those contexts.

However, in 2006 and 2007, The Cadets have experienced a whole new level of dislike for their programs because of the way they not only use it to introduce their show but in the manner in which it permeates and nearly dominates every movement of their shows. Further, I think anger has increased over the perceived continued attitude of George Hopkins, where it truly seems that he has his mind set on what he wants drum corps to be and does not overly concern himself with the fan response to what that vision will be. ***I'm not saying that any of the perceptions are right or wrong, but based on the response of people at shows I have attended and on this forum, these just seem to be the highlights**

Thus, for as much as people are saying that they would at least like the show if they (The Cadets) would just stop talking so much, I think that if this wins as it is, it will be one of the more intensely disliked shows in the history of DCI, and certainly the most unpopular winner

Edited by pags