Utterly Disgusted!

But each drum corps show is VERY different! Your Budweiser analogy is not a good one. Every batch of Budweiser is so much the same that 99.9% of beer drinkers would never notice a difference. So if you don't like Bud today, you probably won't like it tomorrow either.

And I wasn't really referring to not liking narration. I was referring to not liking the SHOW because of narration. You simply can't be open-minded and say that EVERY show with narration will ALWAYS be a show that you don't like.

Heaven forbid he has a different belief set than you.

:laugh:

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful about playing the 1st Amendment "freedom of speech" card here. The 1st Amendment states that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your freedom of speech. DCI is a private organization and they can place whatever restrctions on attire they want for their events. If they want to impose a dress code, they can, although it would likely be bad for business, which is probably why they don't. But they COULD. Some restaurants have dress codes. The MLB examples above have nothing to do with slander -- MLB is trying to create an environment where those kind of shirts are not welcome. They are free to restrict whatever clothing they like. They feel that attendance will not suffer with the removal of the above examples, but they are FREE to draw that line wherever they want -- and must live with the possible market forces reaction -- i.e., lower ticket sales. DCI, too.

Thank you for this. Exactly right. BUT, at the same time, this is a subjective activity where corps are willingly and knowingly opening themselves up for criticism, both from judges and fans. If that's how he feels, though I don't agree that he should have done it, he could very well wear the shirt the OP was referencing to voice his opinion.

No, I think it's more like this:

My girlfriend doesn't like beer. However, beer comes in many different styles, flavors, and breweries. Even though she says she's never tried a beer that she likes, I still offer her sips of mine, which she accepts because she's open to the idea that there might be a beer out there she does enjoy.

The subject "narration" is much broader than your analogy; The specific beer "Budweiser" is always going to taste the same (or near enough), but there are many ways to brew beer, other than Budweiser's recipe - just as there are many ways to implement amplified vocals into a show, other than what the Cadets have done this year. In your own words, you hate Budweiser but there are other beers you enjoy. Well, you've hated amplified vocals so far, but the open-minded approach would be to acknowledge that there might be instances of amplified vocals that you would enjoy, once you've tried a sip.

It all depends on where you draw your reference line Matt.

Right now you are saying that according to my tastes:

Beer = narration

Bud = narration I have experienced to date.

A more accurate representation for me is this:

Beer = drum corps

Bud = narration

Really? This surprises and frankly disappoints me. I mean, if people in the corps believe that narration adds to the drum corps experience, I can respect that opinion, though I disagree with it (except, perhaps, in the smallest of doses. Even Bluecoats narrate just a bit too much for my taste.)

And yeah, I understand that members will sometimes second-guess corps management. Hey, members don't need to buy into every drill set in order to do their best. But if someone decides to march Cadets, presumably they've seen their last 2 shows? For them NOT to be into the narration concept just doesn't make sense to me. It's like someone choosing to march Phantom hoping that this might be the year that they program that Maynard Ferguson tribute. :doh:

Dont take one person's testimony too seriously (including mine). I talked to members and staff of the corps all weekend while they were in PA. While there were occasional jokes about the narration (especially from the big dogs running ensemble), most of the corps either thinks its effective, or is indifferent to them. All they really care about is doing a great show, and having a season to remember (which last was not)...and if the narration is a part of that vehicle, then so be it.

Im tired of debating, so I'm just going to ignore the rest of your post and take out the one quote that I like... :)

Beer = drum corps

NOTICE ME!! DON'T MAKE ME DROP ANOTHER "F BOMB!" :doh:

It all depends on where you draw your reference line Matt.

Right now you are saying that according to my tastes:

Beer = narration

Bud = narration I have experienced to date.

A more accurate representation for me is this:

Beer = drum corps

Bud = narration

But will always be the same, every bottle you open up was created from the same recipe. No two shows will ever use narration in exactly the same manner, and to suggest that all narration will always be the same is, in fact, close minded IMO.

But each drum corps show is VERY different! Your Budweiser analogy is not a good one. Every batch of Budweiser is so much the same that 99.9% of beer drinkers would never notice a difference. So if you don't like Bud today, you probably won't like it tomorrow either.

And I wasn't really referring to not liking narration. I was referring to not liking the SHOW because of narration. You simply can't be open-minded and say that EVERY show with narration will ALWAYS be a show that you don't like.

I think it is a very fitting analogy. I dislike Bud because of the way it tastes, not because of it's name, where it is brewed or that it comes in a brown bottle with a red and silver label. It tastes the same today as it did yesterday, as it will tomorrow.

It's the "taste" of amplified vocals that bothers me. I don't like the sound, timbre, blend of it. It doesn't matter what they are saying, thought that does play a role in how much I dislike it, and it doesn't matter what type of great drum corps performance it is wrapped in, or what colour uniform the corps is wearing...I am not going to like it.

Lol...i like how we have the entire dcp community jumping on the beer analogy. Perhaps our problem is that were just a bunch of drunks... :)

I was just thinking the same thing.. man, we're a bunch of lush- mmmm... :mmm:

:laugh:

:doh: I'm sorry.. what was I saying?

But will always be the same, every bottle you open up was created from the same recipe. No two shows will ever use narration in exactly the same manner, and to suggest that all narration will always be the same is, in fact, close minded IMO.

Of course narration will never be used the same way show to show, when did I imply that?