Utterly Disgusted!

I love beer, but I hate Budweiser. Should I buy it anyways because the batch this week might taste different? Would be close minded to not buy the Bud?

Nice try. The cadets narration is undoubtley and markedly different than any narration done before in dci in many ways. Not saying its a totally new concept or anything (so please spare me that argument), but it is certainly NOT exactly the same in terms of wording, diction, timing, or content, especially in comparison to their previous offerings. I daresay that if budweiser came out with a beer that was nothing like their previous beers, you may actually be curious....as would i...mmmmm :)

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, if I ever saw a T-shirt like that at a show, I'd read a much different message than what was intended. To me, it would be saying loud and clear "I paid good money to come see this show, and I paid even more good money for this T-shirt, just so you would know how much I don't want to be at this show that I paid good money to see." :laugh:

Now THAT's a big shirt ...... :P

No it doesn't. See my post above.

But each drum corps show is VERY different! Your Budweiser analogy is not a good one. Every batch of Budweiser is so much the same that 99.9% of beer drinkers would never notice a difference. So if you don't like Bud today, you probably won't like it tomorrow either.

And I wasn't really referring to not liking narration. I was referring to not liking the SHOW because of narration. You simply can't be open-minded and say that EVERY show with narration will ALWAYS be a show that you don't like.

OMG Mike.. I have been reading through this thread and how people are upset about use of the words "idiotic" in reference to wearing such a t-shirt.. and in my mind I was using the word "boorish" -- then you posted it.

creeeepppyyyy.. :laugh:

Get out of my head!

Stef

Gee, you should just SEE the things I saw in her head... :sshh:

:P

I love beer, but I hate Budweiser. Should I buy it anyways because the batch this week might taste different? Would be close minded to not buy the Bud?

No, I think it's more like this:

My girlfriend doesn't like beer. However, beer comes in many different styles, flavors, and breweries. Even though she says she's never tried a beer that she likes, I still offer her sips of mine, which she accepts because she's open to the idea that there might be a beer out there she does enjoy.

The subject "narration" is much broader than your analogy; The specific beer "Budweiser" is always going to taste the same (or near enough), but there are many ways to brew beer, other than Budweiser's recipe - just as there are many ways to implement amplified vocals into a show, other than what the Cadets have done this year. In your own words, you hate Budweiser but there are other beers you enjoy. Well, you've hated amplified vocals so far, but the open-minded approach would be to acknowledge that there might be instances of amplified vocals that you would enjoy, once you've tried a sip.

LOL, my brother in law works for a micro brewery and hates it when people compare his stuff to Budweiser. Usually followed by a 30 second rate on "mass produced by machine", etc, etc followed by the (in)famous words "We Don't Brew For Everybody".

Having tasted the 30 weight stuff he brews he got the "Don't Brew For Everyone" part right. :sshh:

Guess you could say the Cadets "Don't Put On a Show For Everyone" :laugh:

Fine. I see how it is. You're skipping over my post because I'm a band kid :P

I think freedom of expression is something the Cadets, given their theme this year, would be in favor of.

I think they can take care of themselves. Part of becoming "magnificent human beings" is learning how to deal with criticism, whether justified or unjustified.

Too much anger and negativity in our world today. That's all I can say.

Lol...i like how we have the entire dcp community jumping on the beer analogy. Perhaps our problem is that were just a bunch of drunks... :)

I have talked to a support staff member of Cadets who said that MANY of the members are very much against the way the narration is being done, but they are simply following orders.

Really? This surprises and frankly disappoints me. I mean, if people in the corps believe that narration adds to the drum corps experience, I can respect that opinion, though I disagree with it (except, perhaps, in the smallest of doses. Even Bluecoats narrate just a bit too much for my taste.)

And yeah, I understand that members will sometimes second-guess corps management. Hey, members don't need to buy into every drill set in order to do their best. But if someone decides to march Cadets, presumably they've seen their last 2 shows? For them NOT to be into the narration concept just doesn't make sense to me. It's like someone choosing to march Phantom hoping that this might be the year that they program that Maynard Ferguson tribute. :laugh: