Utterly Disgusted!

Actually, I think both are acceptable. Open and Close are of the same form. You wouldn't say Opened-minded, but I do think that both Close and Closed are acceptable here. I'll cede to your grammar knowledge on this one though -- after all, I'm not CLOSED-Minded on the issue .... :)

open mind : open-minded :: closed mind :: closed-minded

Or at least that's what I've been taught?

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you were taught is correct.

Ahhhh, that makes a little more sense than the way it played out in my head earlier. (Best not to ask!!!)

I've noticed lately, though, that dictionaries (esp those on the internet) are following usage moreso than propriety, so it creates almost an anything-goes grammar world -- say something wrong long enough and the dictionaries will eventually list it as an alternative, which can then be used as proof that you were right all along !!!!

In speech I say closed, but in re-reading my posts I have used both forms. According to some grammar / spelling websites either is acceptable, though I would lean towards "closed" being correct.

Speaking of those "shut up and play" shirts, some guy actually showed up at Cadets rehearsal Monday wearing one.

Takes a big pair to do that. As much as I got a little chuckle from the kids from other corps behind me chanting "BOA, BOA" as the Cadets went off the field at finals last year, showing up protesting at a rehearsal?? I guess everyone draws the line at a different place. :doh:

Read a few weeks ago in the business news that some parents of recent college graduates are even calling where "Lil Snowflake" interviewed to see why they didn't get the job. :doh:

As we say in our house "Cut the freakin' apron strings!".....

I’ll up you on that one – a major, prestigious, international corporation I work with now markets themselves to the parents for the hiring of their offspring

Had a big meeting and were told they are behind the curve because other, similar companies already do this and even though the cultural in that company was horrified at the thought – they passed an action plan to come up with marketing material so that they maintain competitiveness

Of course, that company still uses the Stalin school of breaking them once hired, ship them far from home into relative isolation, reduces them to worthlessness with tasks such as removing staples from documents for weeks, long worthless hours for the sake of long worthless hours and then modeling them into good little workers – snowflake will get theirs

as far as the topic at hand - The notion of closed-mindedness for not liking narration is absurd – it’s the typical post-modern dribble often used to excuse a lapse in morals or traditional values – there are certain things I hold dear, certain traditional or values that I am very clear upon, I won’t indulge this moral relativism due to haranguing or bullying - just because you believe something doesn’t make it correct or necessarily incorrect, values are subjective but my values are set. And your failure to respect my values is a rather poor reflection upon you, not me.

as far as the topic at hand - The notion of closed-mindedness for not liking narration is absurd – it’s the typical post-modern dribble often used to excuse a lapse in morals or traditional values – there are certain things I hold dear, certain traditional or values that I am very clear upon, I won’t indulge this moral relativism due to haranguing or bullying - just because you believe something doesn’t make it correct or necessarily incorrect, values are subjective but my values are set. And your failure to respect my values is a rather poor reflection upon you, not me.

Well said.

I’ll up you on that one – a major, prestigious, international corporation I work with now markets themselves to the parents for the hiring of their offspring

Had a big meeting and were told they are behind the curve because other, similar companies already do this and even though the cultural in that company was horrified at the thought – they passed an action plan to come up with marketing material so that they maintain competitiveness

Of course, that company still uses the Stalin school of breaking them once hired, ship them far from home into relative isolation, reduces them to worthlessness with tasks such as removing staples from documents for weeks, long worthless hours for the sake of long worthless hours and then modeling them into good little workers – snowflake will get theirs

Last part: Can't argue there.

I think he is responding to the posts that posit that we shouldn't criticize the show because of how it would make the kid's feel. He is saying that is a disingenous argument because, as you say, the kids in the corps (any corps) are mature enough to deal with a little criticsm. (And/or mature/wise enough to pay it no nevermind :) )

Oh okay. Then I can understand that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

And some would see you as close-minded as a result.

Yeah - I'll run right out and get my leg broken asap - wouldn't want to be accused of being closed/close/not open minded..... :P

Edited by kusankusho