LMAO - I want one!

No - it would be disrespectful...

Screw it - I want one!

Edited by kusankusho

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved the Cadets. I just want to hear them again.

Go to a drum corps show that they're performing at then.

That's the best way to hear them in my opinion. They march around a lot. Pretty fast, too. There's talking in the show, sure. But they play and hit a lot more. Some parts are really pretty fin' loud. You could probably hear them from the parking lot.

:)

But seriously. So many people on here bemoaning the loss of the traditional Cadets as if this narration has totally changed their identity. IMO, the Cadets MO has always been to play lots of notes and march wicked drill. Guess what....

They do that this year. Like a emeffer.

You can choose to focus on the narration and how it ruins the show for you. But by doing that, I think you're missing out on one kick A production.

Go to a drum corps show that they're performing at then.

That's the best way to hear them in my opinion. They march around a lot. Pretty fast, too. There's talking in the show, sure. But they play and hit a lot more. Some parts are really pretty fin' loud. You could probably hear them from the parking lot.

:)

But seriously. So many people on here bemoaning the loss of the traditional Cadets as if this narration has totally changed their identity. IMO, the Cadets MO has always been to play lots of notes and march wicked drill. Guess what....

They do that this year. Like a emeffer.

You can choose to focus on the narration and how it ruins the show for you. But by doing that, I think you're missing out on one kick A production.

Wow....ladies and gentlemen, someone who gets it!!! :doh: ^OO^ :doh: ^OO^

OK, so I've been browsing this thread since lunch yesterday (too much activity to get through them all in one lunch hour!), and obviously this topic touches many people different ways.

So, at the risk of duplicating someone else's comments I have to add mine to the mix. I've marched in this 'activity' since the very ealy '60's, and again the last few years in DCA. I've been a soloist, instructor and strong proponent of the activity all my life. I've also tried to get back into the DCI "mode" by attending Allentown for a few years (when I didn't march). So that makes be both a dinosaur and a pretty well informed and educated 'drum corps' guy. (Bio over)

The narration in Cadets show is well done and is needed to tell the story. It really is good......but unfortunately it's not what I went to see. The Cadets march a truly demanding and intricate show, and are obviously extremely talented musicians......but it is not IMO what most of the people want to see in a DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS field show.

I'm sure many of the "supporters" of narration, are graduates of local high school marching band and other such programs and identify with this evolution in drum corps as it is not that much different from what you've done. Bless you, you are young and seem radical to us old time drum corps folks, but you have to understand that those of us who have been around a while feel that marching bands/Disney and drum corps are different, and stuff like this is what defines this difference.

Give me Cadets doing West Side Story, Phantom doing classical anytime, Santa Clara doing Phantom of the Opera or Sheherazade, Madison anytime Scott was involved or Cavies doing Malequena. Geez...give me Kilties doiny Syne. Sure its old stuff, but if you're tired of old stuff, there's lots of great new music from movies and broadway that could be used today. If I want Disney I'll go to Orlando, not Allentown.

Sorry DCI, but after watching two nights of drum corps and only enjoying four or five corps (at most), I'll be picking my one show to go to next year (probably somewhere Phantom is competing) and DCI East or West or finals will be out of the question.

Oh, and I almost forgot........the T-shirts are great.....and its only a T-shirt, so get over it. No one should show disrespect during a performance but T's are a staple of silent opinon and still provide publicity for the activity whatever they say.

Gord Moffatt

Ok so I was at Allentown (both nights) and I saw the most disgusting shirts. These horrible shirts say "This I believe Shut up and Play". I think that this shirt shows a lack of respect for the activity. But seriously I think the shirt is the opposite of what Drum Corps is about... so I really think people should boycott that shirt.... By which I mean please DO NOT wear them!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Everyone has a right to their opinion. However I saw the show in Lawerence Ma and I actually liked the narration. I thought it added to the show and wasn't a distraction.

• 5 weeks later...
1 in Nebraska.

1 in Pennsylvania.

1 in Wisconsin.

1 in Georgia.

1 in Texas (a college group).

4 in Florida.

I'd rather not name them online. I seem to specialize in writing drill for smaller schools and larger schools that are non-BOA schools. Although two of my bands won their respective state championship last year. Since I am a former high school band/orchestra director, I am more about staging and making the bands sound good. Of course, all bets are off during drum solos...heh heh. Lord, I have them flying around.

Do you include the option for narration in your drill/show design concepts ???

I heard that the Cadets have a wonderful BOA style show for sale in 2007!!!

Ok so I was at Allentown (both nights) and I saw the most disgusting shirts. These horrible shirts say "This I believe Shut up and Play". I think that this shirt shows a lack of respect for the activity. But seriously I think the shirt is the opposite of what Drum Corps is about... so I really think people should boycott that shirt.... By which I mean please DO NOT wear them!!!!!!!!!! Thanks

What is drum corp about, to DCI it is not about the kids, look at where they are holding Div 2 & 3 next year, 200 miles from Indy. The young adults who join the Cadets know what they are getting into. The I believe theme was written by Edward R Morrow back in the fifties and brought back on NPR in 2005, but there was no mention of this all year so is it OK for the Cadets to steal someones work is that what DCI is about. The judging is horriable on Friday the Cadets were dropping equipment all over the field and took first in Color Guard and BD who was perfect came in sixth that judge needs drug testing but since it's the Cadets the judges chack with George first anyway.

What is drum corp about, to DCI it is not about the kids, look at where they are holding Div 2 & 3 next year, 200 miles from Indy. The young adults who join the Cadets know what they are getting into. The I believe theme was written by Edward R Morrow back in the fifties and brought back on NPR in 2005, but there was no mention of this all year so is it OK for the Cadets to steal someones work is that what DCI is about. The judging is horriable on Friday the Cadets were dropping equipment all over the field and took first in Color Guard and BD who was perfect came in sixth that judge needs drug testing but since it's the Cadets the judges chack with George first anyway.

You have alot to learn about copyrights.

What's really "horriable" is that if that you cast aspersions to a color guard judge's drug use without having any facts to back this charge up.

You should probably use a spell "chacker" too.

One more thing, can you let us know how it is you are certain that the powers that be in Cadets didn't check with NPR to see if they could use the title? Oh, and you should probably also note that This I Believe, Inc. (the company that airs these essays) allows the writer to retain ownership of the essays they write and submit to This I Believe, Inc. (Which means they can use them however, when ever they want).

But it's "funner" to make stuff up.

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa