A Season of Original Music

I got thinking about in the topic about satellite radio about the royalities issue that would come up if DCI was to consider having an all drum corps station. Then an idea hit me. This is something the D1s could do, and the D2/3/seniors could also participate in.

We've seen from 2001 to 2003 that the Cavaliers had all these shows written solely for the drum corps field. Even before these season some corps had a small piece written by a member of the staff. I would gather that any royalties were probably wavered by these composers, since it was a joint effort. Wouldn't the idea of having one season that all the D1 corps decided to have all originals shows.

Yeah, I know each season the music is original, I mean original in the 2001-2003 Cavalier sense. Music never heard before. This would take the pressure off of DCI (and DCA) to have to get permission for the corps to use said music to arrange.

Yes?? No??

NO!

Original music is okay, but my god please play familiar melodies when on the field. The problem with some of the original corps music is that it is written with drill in mind. If you want to write a beautiful melody I'm all over it, but if you want to fill a count structure with formula phrases and horn tricks/licks please refrain.

(feel free to flame me by saying existing music can be arranged to fill a count structure, but I won't listen)

One could say the same thing about a lot of the unknown music (unknown to the general public). They aren't known but still many of these shows became drum corps classics. People to this day still talk about Frameworks both from a music and visual combination.

If each corps decides on doing an all original show, then they can focus on what they are well known for.

Maybe.

But that's if it's a "Moto Perpetuo" style composition, and not "Machine" style.

I got thinking about in the topic about satellite radio about the royalities issue that would come up if DCI was to consider having an all drum corps station. Then an idea hit me. This is something the D1s could do, and the D2/3/seniors could also participate in.

We've seen from 2001 to 2003 that the Cavaliers had all these shows written solely for the drum corps field. Even before these season some corps had a small piece written by a member of the staff. I would gather that any royalties were probably wavered by these composers, since it was a joint effort. Wouldn't the idea of having one season that all the D1 corps decided to have all originals shows.

Yeah, I know each season the music is original, I mean original in the 2001-2003 Cavalier sense. Music never heard before. This would take the pressure off of DCI (and DCA) to have to get permission for the corps to use said music to arrange.

Yes?? No??

I would say NO. There is plenty of original works being performed out there as is. Something I think a lot of folks forget is that music is easy to write, good music is difficult to write and GREAT music is a combination of "incredible talent" and maybe even a tad of luck.

NO!

Original music is okay, but my god please play familiar melodies when on the field. The problem with some of the original corps music is that it is written with drill in mind. If you want to write a beautiful melody I'm all over it, but if you want to fill a count structure with formula phrases and horn tricks/licks please refrain.

"Florida Suite".

Good lord, I hope not!

But regarding the "only 12 tones in Western music", I submit that there are MANY more styles of music beyond "Western" music (and no, I'm not talking about country).

Who needs original music? Public domain is where it's at!

Heck, it worked for the Mads in MST3K. Remember the Public Domain Karaoke Machine they invented? :D

303c.jpg

Please God, NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!! So few of the original shows have music that is truly engaging and interesting (i.e., 85, 88, 89 Suncoast Sound, some Cavies stuff). I'd rather hear music available in the public domain than most of the "original" music that's been written for drum corps.