At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

It all started back in 1971, the formation of DCI. Back then Drum Corps wasn't about the few that could afford it it was about the many. Back in the 70's the corps pulled there memberships from there local communities. Back then it was based in the communities for the kids of that community. This is, in part what kept Drum Corps together.

I will continue later....

I've been involved with drum corps since 1978. I've seen a lot happen since then. I began my marching career with the Spirit of Atlanta in 1980 and 81 and then the Cavaliers in 1983 and 84. The changes I was a part of were moving the bells and timpani to the front ensemble (the beginning of the front ensemble) and going from loud in your face ALL THE TIME drum corps to a more musical and artistic approach. That was the really big things when I marched, besides the fact that knowable music was played. I thought the best show I've ever seen was the 1990 Star of Indiana "Beltshazzar's Feast". Awesome hornline and amazing run your butt off will playin' that hard crap drill design. The next would have to be "Frameworks" in 2002 by the Cavaliers.

I was okay with being allowed to have the show go off the field without penalty, I was okay when they went from two valves to three, afterall they were still bugles. But then I started getting concerned when they went from bugles to band instruments. No longer in my mind was it Drum and Bugle Corps, but Drum and Brass Band, but I lived with it because it didn't change the fact that it was still brass and drums, but someone please tell me why it is necessary to have amplification? And the shows the past couple of years have gotten so artsy for art sake that there's not a recognizable tune in the bunch or not much time is being spent on a theme before it's off to something else. The Cavaliers show this year is based on the music of Billy Joel. Well I've seen and heard the show and if they played Billy Joel stuff it must have been his obscure stuff because I heard nothin' that called my rememberance to Billy Joel.

Don't get me wrong I love drum corps. The talent of these musicians is awesome. Their work ethic and dedication are to be commended and that has never changed. But I miss the tunes man, the music. I want my drum corps back.

Coop

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you so sure attendance is down?? if so, down from what???

I was under the impression that the last couple finals have been pushing attendance records

1981,82 Montreal had HUGE attendance.

Madison also had 35k plus.

Orlando was a joke

and I here that great seats are still available for Pasadena.

If you would like, I can get the actual figures to back up my claims.

Hopefully having the championships in Indy for 10 years will create consistent growth.

I will say that the attendance last year in San Antonio was strong for a regional. I was impressed with the number of bands that supported the event. This was encouraging.

1981,82 Montreal had HUGE attendance.

From what I've read, Montreal attendance was an anomaly, not a sign of the times.

If you would like, I can get the actual figures to back up my claims.

I would like that. Let's see what you've got.

Sorry, but one man's "definition" of a bugle is different than another's. According to Webster's dictionary, a bugle has no valves. Was it still a bugle then when we added a valve? A rotor? Two valves? Three valves. Oh, well, it DOES have three valves, but it's in G so it's still a bugle. The original field trumpets (the original name for a bugle) were not in G. The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, now revered for holding onto tradition by still using two-valve G bugles actually started with Bb bugles in 1934, so where does tradition begin?

Excellent - maybe the most thought-provoking statement ever posted on this forum.

peace to all,

Fred O.

Perhaps the proof of the pudding is in the eating...err...arranging. If I remember correctly (I haven't listened to it in a while) Star's interpretation of Walton was fairly close to the original source. The power and drama of the music remained intact, such that even those not familiar with the score were impressed by what they heard. On the other hand, the Cavaliers have chosen a few select motives from the Billy Joel canon and have subsequently arranged and re-arranged them as to render many of them almost unrecognizeable. Such arrangements tend to remove much of the intrinsic character of the music to the point that we don't always comprehend or remember it for what it is/originally was. Quite a few corps are guilty of this.

I think one of the reasons people are typically drawn to PR year after year is that their musical arrangements, while well-suited to the corps and the field, never stray so far from the originals that we can't hum along. Likewise, are people really going wild for Crown this year because the guard prances around like horses? I would say it has more to do with the fact that "William Tell" is a pretty well-known piece that Crown plays in a fairly straight-forward manner.

Totally agree. I would say my 2 favorite "music" moments of 2007 season are Crown's William Tell and PR's Firebird...hands down the best in the "music" aspect. You can hear some Joel in Cavies arrangements but you got to listen harder. I did think the "Angry Young Man" vibe from the pit was cool. Colt's closer also has some nice melodic moments. Now this is over a week back and this is what I can remember musically. Visually yes of course 2007 is so much more then 1983. Crown's show just proves you can mix the 2.

Here's some interesting corps attendance info through the late 90's. It would be great

to have the rest through 2006 to add in, does anyone have it? Note the HUGE drop from

1982 to 1983. From 98 corps to 52. Wow.

Placement Number of Corps Year Place

1 98 1981 Montreal, QUE

2 98 1982 Montreal, QUE

3 81 1976 Philadelphia, PA

4 78 1977 Denver, CO

5 75 1975 Philadelphia, PA

6 73 1994 Foxboro, MA

7 69 1992 Madison, WI

8 68 1990 Buffalo, NY

9 67 1978 Denver, CO

10 67 1985 Madison, WI

11 67 1988 Kansas City, MO

12 67 1995 Buffalo, NY

13 66 1979 Birmingham, AL

14 65 1980 Birmingham, AL

15 65 1987 Madison, WI

16 65 1997 Orlando, FL

17 64 1996 Orlando, FL

18 62 1986 Madison, WI

19 60 1989 Kansas City, MO

20 60 1993 Jackson, MS

21 57 1974 Ithaca, NY

22 57 1984 Atlanta, GA

23 57 1991 Dallas, TX

24 56 1998 Orlando, FL

25 52 1983 Miami, FL

26 48 1973 Whitewater, WI

27 39 1972 Whitewater, WI

Here's some interesting corps attendance info through the late 90's. It would be great

to have the rest through 2006 to add in, does anyone have it? Note the HUGE drop from

1982 to 1983. From 98 corps to 52. Wow.

Placement Number of Corps Year Place

1 98 1981 Montreal, QUE

2 98 1982 Montreal, QUE

3 81 1976 Philadelphia, PA

4 78 1977 Denver, CO

5 75 1975 Philadelphia, PA

6 73 1994 Foxboro, MA

7 69 1992 Madison, WI

8 68 1990 Buffalo, NY

9 67 1978 Denver, CO

10 67 1985 Madison, WI

11 67 1988 Kansas City, MO

12 67 1995 Buffalo, NY

13 66 1979 Birmingham, AL

14 65 1980 Birmingham, AL

15 65 1987 Madison, WI

16 65 1997 Orlando, FL

17 64 1996 Orlando, FL

18 62 1986 Madison, WI

19 60 1989 Kansas City, MO

20 60 1993 Jackson, MS

21 57 1974 Ithaca, NY

22 57 1984 Atlanta, GA

23 57 1991 Dallas, TX

24 56 1998 Orlando, FL

25 52 1983 Miami, FL

26 48 1973 Whitewater, WI

27 39 1972 Whitewater, WI

Part of that, as I understand it... is that when Finals were in Canada....a lot of local Canadian corps competed, which really skewed those years. Most of those didn't bother coming to Finals again.

Taking those two years out of the mix still shows us with a sizable drop off of units over the years, though.

It all started back in 1971, the formaBBZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wink:

are you so sure attendance is down?? if so, down from what???

I was under the impression that the last couple finals have been pushing attendance records

Birmingham in 80 had over 25,000 in attendance

Montreal in 81 and 82 was over 35,000 (although it was announced at over 40,000 in 82)

Madison in 85,86 and 87 was also over 34,000

Has attendance approached these numbers since then? I heard that the last Madison finals had 23,000. What will Pasadena bring?

OK...I'm an idiot and typed before I read...deleting my post...my apologies.

Edited by Medeabrass