At what point and time did we lose Drum Corps

Drum corps fan since 1982? Hey there newbie. (1968 here) Here's what you do. Go see any of the top 7 drum corps this year and then we can debate the apparent merit (because there isn't one) of your arguments.

I went to finals and other than one corps (Blue Knights and Cadets...sorry...didn't like it.) I loved the other corps blew me away. Their were several gfreat standing O moments. Madison as a venue added to it for sure and the semis priming of the pump with the Madison Alumni Project set the stage, but the top Div. I corps for the most part came out and rocked.

But thanks for adding to this trolls thread.

Even though I did not attend my first show until about 1982 or so my father marched in drum corps back in the mid-1950's to early 1960's. I have heard a few fleetwoods over the years. :P

The merit is that I have seen a lot of drum corps and in my OPINION, corps today are not as ENTERTAINING as they were in years past. Corps today sound more like each other than every before and consider the judges first (For the most part; IMO) when designing a show. I am not alone.....a little guy named Dennis Delucia summed it up well in 1994 when he said that he felt that drum corps were playing too much for the judges and that they should start playing more for the fans. The DCI corps perform with AMAZING execution. Its one of the reasons I still follow DCI corps. All they have to do is go back and consider the fans a lot more when creating their shows. If you need a example from this season look at Crown.......everyone loves them.

I have been to DCI finals the past several years (All 3 nights). Overall I liked the direction things seemed to be going in 2005. 2006....a lot of the top 12 shows were dissappointing to me.

I went to a local show and attended both nights in Allentown Pa this summer (So far). Corps I like this season is Crown, Boston, Colts, Cavaliers, Phantom.

We all have our opinions.......there is nothing wrong with that......

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps is all about about innovation and creativity. If drum corps was stagnant and only the same recognizable tunes, it wouldn't be drum corps, it would be boring. Drum corps is drum corps BECAUSE it changes.

As for the Amp question: I support amps only because it allows the Front Ensemble to play their instruments with a normal technique that does not destroy the instruments/mallets/wrists. I don't support it for voice amping or sound effects.

I will only say today's drum corps is not my definition of drum corps.

I want my drum corps back.

Coop

No disrespect intended, and I hope not to instigate one of those "what about us paying customers" flamefests or anything - but it's not "your" drum corps anymore. It belongs to the kids out on the field. And please, no ranting about how their young minds are being manipulated by some conspiratorial collective of staff, administrators and/or or instrument company executives. I don't think anyone is out there is being brainwashed into marching.

We had our fun back in the [insert era during which you marched]'s, doing in it the way that appealed to us. Now it's someone else's turn. If you've gotta have old school (whenever that may have been), there's always the Fleetwood recordings, VHS's or DVDs.

peace to all,

Fred O.

Drum corps is all about about innovation and creativity. If drum corps was stagnant and only the same recognizable tunes, it wouldn't be drum corps, it would be boring. Drum corps is drum corps BECAUSE it changes.

I think drum corps is all about excellence. Thats what keeps me coming back. If things needed to keep changing to hold our interest, no one would be going to basketball, baseball, or football games anymore. Don't reply with the designated hitter thing - when was that rule implemented? 30 years ago? But, hey, to each his/her own. Peace.

No disrespect intended, and I hope not to instigate one of those "what about us paying customers" flamefests or anything - but it's not "your" drum corps anymore. It belongs to the kids out on the field. And please, no ranting about how their young minds are being manipulated by some conspiratorial collective of staff, administrators and/or or instrument company executives. I don't think anyone is out there is being brainwashed into marching.

We had our fun back in the [insert era during which you marched]'s, doing in it the way that appealed to us. Now it's someone else's turn. If you've gotta have old school (whenever that may have been), there's always the Fleetwood recordings, VHS's or DVDs.

peace to all,

Fred O.

w/Stp: :wub::sleeping::huh:

Case in point ,find some drum corps recordings from '72, '73 listen to it how much do you miss the pit? NEXT QUESTION

I would rather hear the Beautiful sound of a modern pit, than the clanking bells and mini xylos of yesteryear. Not to mention the out of tune, back breaking marching timps....

I've been involved with drum corps since 1978. I've seen a lot happen since then.

Like the invention of the VCR, the personal computer, the CD, DVD, the mobile phone, the internet, and... about 10 years later, the actual birth of the oldest of kids marching these days.

Back when you were marching, the activity existed for YOU... and was tailored to appeal to your peers. Without YOU and your buddies, regardless of the number of potential fans out there, the activity would cease to exist.

Now, it is tailored to appeal to the current youth. Without them, without their passion and interest, it wouldn't exist. You are free to check it out if you like, enjoy it if you do, but it doesn't for or because of your interest.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I wish to be clear. YOUR drum corps experience no longer exists... it faded into memory the exact day you aged out and is never coming back.

If you want nostalgia or to relive some part of youth (don't we all), then there are many other outlets... DCA or one of the many alumni corps out there. Look into this, you might not only enjoy it, but you may find new friends that share your same interests and perspective.

Once again, no amount of ranting or raving is going to change anything for the activity today, but is only going to:

A ) make you sound kinda old ('we marched barefoot, uphill, both ways... and we liked it')

B ) make you sound kind of like a complainer, rather than a problem solver.

In short, if you actually CARE about something (more than just wanting to complain), DO something. If you don't care enough to actually DO something... why bother saying anything?

Anyway, here is a link to get you started:

Drum Corps Associates

Best of luck.

Back when you were marching, the activity existed for YOU... and was tailored to appeal to your peers. Without YOU and your buddies, regardless of the number of potential fans out there, the activity would cease to exist.

If you're still talking about 1978 have to disagree with tailored to appeal to your peers. IMO, 1970s corps still played more to the fans than each other. Didn't hear DCI = Music Majors playing to other Music Majors until early 1980s

If you want nostalgia or to relive some part of youth (don't we all), then there are many other outlets... DCA or one of the many alumni corps out there. Look into this, you might not only enjoy it, but you may find new friends that share your same interests and perspective.

Few years ago Dan Achenson said DCA was people reliving their youth. Then he got a better idea what DCA is about and recanted his words. Suggest you do the same. Or to put it another way, there have been under 21 year olds in Senior corps for decades.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari