See me, hear me...(don't touch me or feel me, though...ew.)

Look or Listen?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more a fan of the music or the visual?

• Music.
    • Visual.
    • Both equally.
  2. 2. Do you feel that there's too much emphasis on music overall in judging and design wise?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • About right, really.
  3. 3. Do you feel there's too much emphasis on visual in overall judging and design wise?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • About right, thanks.

Some people prefer to see it, some prefer to hear it.

Where are we at now in relation to which is the ultimate winner on the sheets?

Have we now reached (or will we reach) a point where both are equally considered?

If you have a preference towards one or the other...can you think of a visual or musical artist that drum corps has yet to tap that would be an asset to show design, and even evolve it?

Edited by bawker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's point out that for everyone doing drill (about 124), you'll have (about) 88 who are playing music, and (about) 36 who are doing guardwork. Include pit, and on an average full corps, you have 100 musicians of 135. That's 3/4. But we split visual and music equally?

Music/Visual should be 60/40.

Let's point out that for everyone doing drill (about 124), you'll have (about) 88 who are playing music, and (about) 36 who are doing guardwork. Include pit, and on an average full corps, you have 100 musicians of 135. That's 3/4. But we split visual and music equally?

By your logic, shouldn't it be Music/Visual should be 40/60? Since everyone in the corps is involved with visual, perhaps that caption should weigh heavier?

note: I don't really believe so...just questioning the logic.

Wait -- which way are you arguing? It appears that you're saying music should be 60 and visual 40. But your statement above seems to be saying the opposite -- that visual should account for more because more folks are doing it.

Edited by Liam

I fully agree......Music used to actually get 65% of the score...and 6 of 9 judges.....now it is 50/50 and 4/4.....even worse, I believe that we have too much visual consideration/wording on music sheets, causing even more of a lean toward visual. This year, it is totally possible that a smoking high guard score (with a spread) may propel a 5th place musical show into the winner's circle, and I feel that would be a travesty.....................

GB

By your logic, shouldn't it be Music/Visual should be 40/60? Since everyone in the corps is involved with visual, perhaps that caption should weigh heavier?

note: I don't really believe so...just questioning the logic.

I was suggesting that since everyone does drill, it's less of a factor. The logic is that most performers are musicians; 75-80% of the corps is there to do music. Visual is important, but because a large majority of the performance is about music, it's a good idea to make it weigh more.

My specific logic would be that if it was a standstill performance, and only the guard did visual things (in place), it should be 80/20 music. But I believe that since there's movement, it should be double that for visual, thus 40 percent.

If you think that since almost everyone does visual that it should be equal, I'd ask this. If you took away the visual element, we'd be ok. In fact, they call it an encore.

Tell ya what... let's have a silent encore, where the corps does only its drill. Let's see how many people stick around for that.

I fully agree......Music used to actually get 65% of the score...and 6 of 9 judges.....now it is 50/50 and 4/4.....even worse, I believe that we have too much visual consideration/wording on music sheets, causing even more of a lean toward visual. This year, it is totally possible that a smoking high guard score (with a spread) may propel a 5th place musical show into the winner's circle, and I feel that would be a travesty.....................

GB

True. But it's also possible that we could have 5 different corps win High Brass, Percussion, Color Guard, GE Visual, and GE Music ..... and none of them take the Championship. This almost happened in SA (Cavies beat Crown in CG, otherwise the above scenario played out). This to me means that the top corps are all tops at something, but to win you need to be darn near the top at everything. Of course, this is just this year -- in other years the winner has swept all categories, so who's to say what might happen in the future with a different scoring system. I'd like music to be emphasized a little more and it seems to be this year without a scoring change. Let's see how this plays out before we panic and change the scoring system underneath this natural evolution.

To answer to OPs questions -- I'd say Both Equally (really, both Together, if you get the distinction), and About right on the other two.

I was suggesting that since everyone does drill, it's less of a factor. The logic is that most performers are musicians; 75-80% of the corps is there to do music. Visual is important, but because a large majority of the performance is about music, it's a good idea to make it weigh more.

My specific logic would be that if it was a standstill performance, and only the guard did visual things (in place), it should be 80/20 music. But I believe that since there's movement, it should be double that for visual, thus 40 percent.

If you think that since almost everyone does visual that it should be equal, I'd ask this. If you took away the visual element, we'd be ok. In fact, they call it an encore.

Tell ya what... let's have a silent encore, where the corps does only its drill. Let's see how many people stick around for that.

Still don't understand your logic, but no matter. I just wanted to make sure I understood which way you were arguing.

I don't really disagree (I like your comment about the silent drill encore :) ). I answered about right on the poll even though I'd like to see a little more emphasis on music to even out the advances in drill in the last decade or so. But I think this is beginning to happen anyway with the current scoring system and I guess I'd just prefer to see how it plays out before we try to force-feed changed thru rules changes.

Not a big fan of changing rules without really having a good handle on the potential (and/or unintended) impacts.

GB

winners circle?