See me, hear me...(don't touch me or feel me, though...ew.)

Look or Listen?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more a fan of the music or the visual?

• Music.
    • Visual.
    • Both equally.
  2. 2. Do you feel that there's too much emphasis on music overall in judging and design wise?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • About right, really.
  3. 3. Do you feel there's too much emphasis on visual in overall judging and design wise?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • About right, thanks.

also, as I said before....if you feel that visual is the more important element, run a poll asking how people feel about increasing scoring for visual and decreasing musical points. Have fun....

Who's making the argument that visual should get more points than music? Why can't they just be equal?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I misunderstood. Here's your entire statement:

I disagree with you on two points:

1. You clearly state that VISUAL doesn't make sense without music. Whether you meant visual or drill, the point of my response is that visual art/design/performance absolutely does make sense without music. Maybe the drum coprps community, as a whole, doesn't see that, but that's the result of limited thinking or a lack of exposure. I'm not saying that drum corps should become all visual with no music. I'm just pointing out that in the broader scope of art and performance both have equal value, alone and together.

2. Drill does not equal visual. There are far more things happening visually in a drum corps show than just the drill. To discuss one visual aspect in isolation from all the others is an inadequate representation of the topic. Many hours are spent developing programs that integrate ALL the components into a cohesive program. That's what made Frameworks the success that it was.

I appreciate your effort to clarify, and we can agree to disagree on this. Your point is well made.

I will stick with my other statement....that guard score will push Cavs to the top in compositite visual and they will win, complete with a 5th place composite music score. Some have already expressed they are ok with that.....that's their perogative, but I'm not, and I am sure that I am not alone.....

Heh, sure, fifth place, and yet just five tenths of a point behind the first place place corps in total music. Yeah, that's awful, The Cavaliers should be ashamed of such a travesty. :doh:

Additionally, Cavs may be first in guard, but they're also running close second in both visual performance and visual ensemble. But you're getting huffy about color guard, so I guess captions like Ensemble don't mean much to you. Makes sense, because you'd also recognize that Cavs are running second in Music Ensemble. Study the sheets again, if the rankings have you in such a tizzy you might be surprised to know that the numbers show the Cavs are doing better musically than you think. Of course, that would mean also admitting that you've been wrong this whole time....

Heh, sure, fifth place, and yet just five tenths of a point behind the first place place corps in total music. Yeah, that's awful, The Cavaliers should be ashamed of such a travesty. :doh:

Additionally, Cavs may be first in guard, but they're also running close second in both visual performance and visual ensemble. But you're getting huffy about color guard, so I guess captions like Ensemble don't mean much to you. Makes sense, because you'd also recognize that Cavs are running second in Music Ensemble. Study the sheets again, if the rankings have you in such a tizzy you might be surprised to know that the numbers show the Cavs are doing better musically than you think. Of course, that would mean also admitting that you've been wrong this whole time....

You can point to all your "micro-subcaption" numbers all you want......and I didn't say anything bad about Cav's visual program....I actually think they will win the visual caption across the board (perf/ens/guard). Unless you are brain dead, explain where I am wrong and please point out the major show with everyone there that they were higher than 5th in composite music.....you seem hellbent on looking for a bright light with a small subcaption number....it's the total that counts....if you need to dig that deep for hope, look at Atlanta, where they were 5th across the board (brass/ens/perc), but I didn't point that out.....Yes, the thought of a 5th place music corps winning the championship does have me in a tizzy.........in terms of being wrong, again, show me the major that they were higher than 5th in composite music, and I don't see them improving on that, and in fact could fall further if others are on their game...........it would be best if we agree to disagree, and I respect your opinion that you feel that it is ok for the 5th place musical score combined with a winning visual score = the winner in your book.....

GB

I appreciate your effort to clarify, and we can agree to disagree on this. Your point is well made.

Thanks. I have no problem with disagreement.

You can point to all your "micro-subcaption" numbers all you want.....

Um....wasn't it you that was pointing out the great success (or the huge spread) that Cavaliers have in guard? Of course you were complaining about how it would affect everything else, but you were pointing to it.

I forgot: only percussion judges are correct when giving spreads (not guard judges) according to you, and only you can use 'micro-subcaption' numbers in your arguments.

ah...hypocrisy at its finest.

Edited by justanopinion