Useless DCA trivia 10 good ones

no one tried on my trivia question... and I gave you the answer in a way...

George Cowburn was on Color Guard and his score only counted for the trophy... BUT... color guard was the final tie breaker in the complex tie breaker system that was enacted in the late 80's... When Bush and Sun tied AGAIN... amazingly they tied in every tie breaking caption sending the decision to George... even though his score didn't count...

The best part about Tom Meek is that he was introduced to drum corps by his wife and never played an instrument... I (sort of) taught him how to play in the fall of 1966... and he hasn't stopped since...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also: (who'd I miss?)

List former Junior corps that did DCA

Blessed Sac

Blue Rock

Des Plaines Vanguard

Pine Tree Warriors from Maine (not sure on this one)

One obvious one, Jim, the Kilties -- the ONLY corps to make finals in both DCI and DCA!

I'm not sure about the Pine Tree Warriors, Maine's Marching Ambassadors, either. But I DO remember it was a LONG ride up to their contest and back with a bad radiator in my '75 Olds "measle-mobile".

The OYB Lampliters from Smiths Falls, Ontario competed as both a junior corps and a senior corps, but I'm not sure if they ever competed in DCA prelims in the mid-1980. Who has the scores from 1986 or '87 prelims?

Note: Included years I was involved.....

Always wondered if the 1974 11th and 12th place corps scoring in the 40s at Finals was the reason for DCA going to 10 corps. Also there were only 15 corps at 1974 Prelims so it's not like there were a lot of corps NOT making Finals. In 1975 there were 19 corps at Prelims.

Yes, it was changed before the 1975 season, when DCA membership was reduced to 10 full/voting "Member" corps and four "Associate Members".

Try this one:

Which active DCA finalist has had the longest run without winning the DCA championship?

That would HAVE to be Minnesota Brass assuming you mean "longest run" to be construed as an "active DCA finalist" with the most CURRENT consecutive appearances in finals "without winning the DCA championship".

After that I believe then it's currently CorpsVets tied with the Renegades.

Crusaders by a wide margin if you mean "non-consecutive appearances".

Trivia is a delicate thing, ya know...!

Edited by K2SMA

The Bushwackers and Renegades are the only active corps to participate in a DCA final in every year of their competitive existance.

i believe your forgetting the cabs.

Cabs didn't march DCA Finals in 1965, the very first year of DCA. Bucs won that show

Name the only corps to both win DCA and come in dead ### last in Prelims.

After some fact checking, Bush did that, too.

1986, etc.

2000 for last in prelims.

Try this one:

Which active DCA finalist has had the longest run without winning the DCA championship?

cru is the longest active finalist that never won.

That would HAVE to be Minnesota Brass assuming you mean "longest run" to be construed as an "active DCA finalist" with the most CURRENT consecutive appearances in finals "without winning the DCA championship".

After that I believe then it's currently CorpsVets tied with the Renegades.

Crusaders by a wide margin if you mean "non-consecutive appearances".

Trivia is a delicate thing, ya know...!

1. Rochester Crusaders

2. Minnesota Brass

3. Renegades

4. Corpsvets

I know Grenadiers should be on that list somewhere. Definitely above Renegades and Corpsvets.

Grenadiers (A class champs doesn't count) (DCA open class finalist '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03)

Edited by TenorsForWorldDomination

Actually Bubba started with the NY Skyliners in 1974 and his last year due to medical problems is 2004. Ray did 30 years in the Red, White and black (Evan the year that we were called the "Burger King Cadets due to wearing a gold sash)

Ray "Bubba" Lane marched 35 straight seasons on contrabass on his way to becoming a lifetime member of the New York Skyliners. If anyone beats that, I'll be seriously impressed.

2. Anyone know who marched in the most DCA Finals as a performer (not drum major, or American Section..must be horn, drum or guard)..My bet is on Mike Ryan of the Cabs who marched in 30 straight DCA finals from 1975-2004.

I'm thinking Larry Visconti for Sun may be in the running for this. I know he started in 1972...can't remember his last year marching - maybe last year or the year before.

5. Is there anyone out there who marched in all 3 of DCA's worst quagmires..the 1987 DCA prelims, the 1999 finals and the 2006 prelims? ( 2 of them were in Allentown ) I'm thinking Larry again...not sure if he marched last year or not but I know he was there in 87 and 99.

Patty,

My last year marching is this year! (again!) :P - 36 years and yes I have been a part of all of the3 DCA quagmires!

After some fact checking, Bush did that, too.

1986, etc.

2000 for last in prelims.

I dunno Bob, according to History of DC book Bush came in 10th and Heat Wave came in 11th at Prelims. I wasn't following DC at the time so I just went by what's in the book.

Off the top of my head think Sunrisers have won DCA and come in next to last.