Combining new and old school drum corps

Isn't that kind of how it was in the 80's?

Are you suggesting a show without a theme, just random music? If so, i think any corps could pull that off successively with the right design from piece to piece. However, with the way that ge calculates into the score as significantly as it does today, i think the corps would lose points with such a disjunct show. That is unless the "theme" was a particular genre, or the corps' show was so well designed that they would portay the piece individually and effectively.

I would like it!

If it was done really well, better marching and playing than everyone else, how could it not score well?

The only thing I'm not real certain of is how the color guard is scored now--are "dance" elements required, or could a guard do all spinning and get away with it?

• 5 months later...
No thanks.

Gee Mike I thought you said you loved everything....

'70s, not so much. '80s - OK.

Judges would slam it, crowd would love it (despite the no-thanks posts in here).

Can you imagine if one of our beloved corps put together a show made up entirely of entertaining, familiar songs, with great drill, and blew our faces off almost the entire show (kinda like the 70's)? No theme needed. A little less artsy fartsy prancing, great visual color guard - mostly with flags and rifles - maybe even wearing something that slightly resembles a uniform? (Phantom's 2nd guard uniform from this year comes to mind).... Kinda like a combination of old and new school.... How great that would be. I am NOT slamming the current product - not at all. Just wondered what folks would think of such a show. I think I know what the audience reaction would be. Now the judges? How would they treat such a change?

So where exactly is the new school drum corps in this?

Can you imagine if one of our beloved corps put together a show made up entirely of entertaining, familiar songs, with great drill, and blew our faces off almost the entire show (kinda like the 70's)? No theme needed. A little less artsy fartsy prancing, great visual color guard - mostly with flags and rifles - maybe even wearing something that slightly resembles a uniform? (Phantom's 2nd guard uniform from this year comes to mind).... Kinda like a combination of old and new school.... How great that would be. I am NOT slamming the current product - not at all. Just wondered what folks would think of such a show. I think I know what the audience reaction would be. Now the judges? How would they treat such a change?

Artsy fartsy prancing? Is that what you call it? I happen to like what some drum corps do now. Talk about not slamming the current product.

I think I will stick to what some drum corps do now. I can appreciate the types of shows that were done in the past because without them, we wouldn't be where we are today, but I don't really like them as much as I do the shows now.

Isn't that kind of how it was in the 80's?

We had themed shows in the 80's.