IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

Does anybody else really find that adding cheesy narration is "innovative"? To me, this is more of a classic drum corps show that they added cheesy narration to. I was able to somewhat ignore the narration when I saw this show last week and I enjoyed the rest of it. I can't imagine other corps thinking that the narration is what was great about this show and not the phenomenal hornline playing some great music along with some crazy drill. I just don't see this show causing some huge narration push if it wins because I don't see anything innovative with having people talk during your show when high school bands have been doing this for years.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I came off harsher then I meant to. I understand your points.

This show does have better GE impact moments than the last few years. I did like the show better the second time I heard it than the first.

I also haven't seen the show since early in the season so am unfamiliar with the changes. While I like a lot about the show and respect the talent, I still don't care for the narration and am distracted when talked to while I'm listening to music.

Ok....thanks :)

A few years ago GH had said that "It's all for the kids" and the placings and/or what the audience thought meant nothing compared to the "kids experience".

Someone can either correct what I read or what has changed in Georges opinion the last 3 or 4 years.

What makes you think his feelings have changed? I don't see any disconnect.

What makes you think his feelings have changed? I don't see any disconnect.

My bad for not posting what I was responding to....

euponitone posted (in part): "This is, for lack of a nicer way of saying it, 100% false. It is not a matter of 'who' the fans are, and whether they are well represented on DCP - I'm willing to admit that plenty of non-dcp types dislike narration, however, george is still very interested in pleasing the fans." - (my emphasis).

Which to me appears to contradict: A few years ago GH had said that "It's all for the kids" and the placings and/or what the audience thought meant nothing compared to the "kids experience.

Looking for clarification since I don't follow Cadets that much and I sure as Hades can't read GHs mind. :blink:

So / first off - it's still up in the air as to who will be crowned DCI's 2007 World Champion... but at this stage Cadets certainly look like a strong contender.

I decided to head to Pasadena to take in finals.

Frankly this year is "one of those years" it's *tough* being a Cadet fan. Tough to sit in the stands wanting to watch a corps you are a big fan of and having to listen to rude comments & (what I believe are) closed-minded attitudes

Cadets are my "favorite corps" over the years - always tend to put out the show which I enjoy the most.

This year they have my - probably - fourth favorite show. Behind a few others like SCV, Crown, Crossmen - etc... I prefer this year.

Anyway - other years they've won (and some they haven't) they've had my absolute favorite show - years like 89 (Les Miz) 96 (American West) 98 (Stonehenge) and back further (84,85,86,87,90, 91) - all years they were the show I couldn't get enough of.

This year I really admire the talent and determination of the corps - the difficulty of the program and the excellence of the corps. The show is not my favorite this year but I also don't "hate it" as some other do. There are moments I love / and some things about it which make me think "ehh"

But frankly I am more than a little worried - if Cadets roll into Pasadena and dominate like I think they might (probably 60/40 odds IMO - they are VERY good and still dirty) how the crowd might react

I would HATE it if these kids work so hard all summer and get booed as they are crowned Champions.

I remember Star being booed when they won shows.

It sucked big time / took a positive, tremendous youth activity and destroyed what should have been a great moment

Folks will say "oh - we are boing the judges or the scores - not the kids" blah blah.

I am worried. :(

I guess my question is: IF Cadets win - how do you think folks will react?

Will folks boo this guy??? - who obviously believes in "This I believe"

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5...c7-cab4f55159d0

First of all let me congratulate you on stating your ideas is a reasonable way...anyway, I understand what you're saying. I don't agree with some of the things cadets are doing, but I respect the heck out of their program. I'd for one be glad for them if they won it all. Hopefully DCI fans will be mature enough to see that these kids are deserving (if they win) and give them their props...

compared to the kids experience maybe....but it still matters, just like the placements. He cares more about education than anything, but he's still in it to win, and getting cheered along the way is nice too :)

I thought this explained it. The kids education is paramount, but obviously competition matters...otherwise why try to win :P

I cant read the mans mind either, but i think i've drank enough kool-aid to know how it goes. :)

compared to the kids experience maybe....but it still matters, just like the placements. He cares more about education than anything, but he's still in it to win, and getting cheered along the way is nice too :)

Now I'll post what I'm replying to :P

Like I said I don't follow Cadets that closely, but first time I remember seeing that George is in it to win. Which would follow human nature more than the "all for the experience" touchy/feeling type posts I've seen.

Edit: Just looked at your sig, #### I might have talked to you at Gettysburg in 2005/2006 for a few seconds. Talked to a couple of Cadets around the stadium but didn't get any names.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

:blink:

:P

About once a year you catch me doing something :music: Matt.....

See you in 2008 :P