IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

I am probably one of the people who dislikes the Cadets the most. Each year, I see a Cadets show, and I usually never enjoy it. I don't know why, I just don't like the Cadets. There are some years that I like from them, but most of them I don't.

With that being said, if they won, there is no way I would boo them. It's such a lack of respect to the kids that put their heart and soul into the show. Anyone that boos any corps on the field should be ashamed of themselves.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am probably one of the people who dislikes the Cadets the most. Each year, I see a Cadets show, and I usually never enjoy it. I don't know why, I just don't like the Cadets. There are some years that I like from them, but most of them I don't.

With that being said, if they won, there is no way I would boo them. It's such a lack of respect to the kids that put their heart and soul into the show. Anyone that boos any corps on the field should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree. Everyone has a right to dislike The Cadets or any other corps. But it is important to keep in mind that these kids are performing a product which was given to them. They have given up their summer to perform their ##### off for us. It's just not cool to boo them. That's just a lack of class in my opinion.

If they did win, I would not boo. But they will not win so we will not have to worry about fan reaction, just to George's reaction about how another year will go by and his corps has been treated unfairly. How about the shows haven't been good enough to win and/or they haven't been performed as well as others? Is Hoppy ever to blame?

Get out your 2006 DVDs. Select the show designer commentary, then play Cadets' show.

You'll hear Hoppy himself admitting many design flaws.

Or don't. It's probably easier for you to just go on believing George Hopkins is the scourge of drum corps.

Or don't. It's probably easier for you to just go on believing George Hopkins is the scourge of drum corps.

ARRRrrrrrrrRRR.....He Be destined Fer Davy Jones Lockerrrrrr...........

You never go to a symphony and boo when the soloist misses a note or when you don't appreciate the musical selection. It just doesn't work that way.

Maybe not at symphony, but there is booing at the opera. I have been to many performances were individual cast members and/or conductors were booed. In fact I attended the world premier of Tan Dun's the Last Emperor, and there was lots of booing of Tan Dun.

The point is that as a paying customer you have the right to express your opinion of the performance even if others disagree with your opinion.

The question that remains to be seen is: how the crowd will react if Cadets win. I'd put money on hearing some booing. You may find it tacky, disrespectful, uncalled for, whatever. As a paying customer they have a right to express their opinion, and you have no right to inflict your opinion on them.

As a paying customer they have a right to express their opinion, and you have no right to inflict your opinion on them.

I think I know what you meant here -- that by "inflict your opinion on them", you mean stop them from booing by rule or something.

But, the statement comes off a bit harsher. Yes, the other guy has a "right" to boo. But I have a right to tell him that he looks like a fool (and worse). That is how I "inflict my opinion on them".

The question that remains to be seen is: how the crowd will react if Cadets win. I'd put money on hearing some booing. You may find it tacky, disrespectful, uncalled for, whatever. As a paying customer they have a right to express their opinion, and you have no right to inflict your opinion on them.

So you are saying that the "booer' has the right to inflict his/her opinion in an infantile manner on any and all within earshot, yet those who find that method of response to be in poor taste do not have the same right to let the booer know what they think of them?

Why is this freedom a one-way street?

So - back to my original premise

I am NOT as "concerned" now about reaction as I was week ago

It seems so far the west coast has been warmly receiving the 2007 Cadets / even reviewers have been positive in general

So - I imagine they will be warmly applauded by their fans and politely applauded (golf clap) by those who admire the corps peformance level but hate the narration. A few will probably sit silently or possibly boo but I think they will be the small minority...

All this is IF Cadets win... they are in a strong position but need to get cleaner to put a bigger gap between them & BD

Edited by George