IF Cadets win - I am a bit worried about the reaction

yeah - and the first time I heard this was when I first got involved in the activity in 1978 - guys said this to me in the stands while he was moaning and groaning about what was going on in the activity.

On NanciD's great historical site, there is a letter to the editor of DCN bemoaning the addition of contras as being too 'band'...and that was 1963 or 64.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Direction Of the Activity":

Stop wondering. Can you say: "Marching Band".

Elphaba

All drum corps are marching bands. Not all marching bands are drum corps.

All drum corps are marching bands. Not all marching bands are drum corps.

Thank you Mr. Hopkions for that clarificatuion. :unsure: Drum corps was once a small subset of marching bands. Now with today's "innovations" that subset is disappearing very fast and the subset "drum corps" will have no meaning.

So, by booing, they are simply showing ignorance? You cannot fathom any other reason as to why they might be booing? Sounds rather short-sighted of you, I think.

Don't like booing? Get over it. People pay money to be entertained. If some choose to boo, then so be it.

Yes. Ignorance. Drum corps shows aren't staged to provide a forum for individual expression. Those who fail to understand this by insisting their single opinion be communicated to all those around them are ignorant by definition.

As for paying to be entertained, you're absolutely correct again. I bought my ticket to see and hear the performances. My ticket wasn't purchased to provide ears for some ignoramus in the stands who wants to express him or herself with low-frequency, non-specific complaints.

As far as the "desperation to impose their past...etc..etc..etc.", sounds like you have your own rhetoric there. Just like the person to whom you are responding.

I don't mean to come across as dogging you personally. Just my thoughts.

Granted, there might be some youngsters who aren't happy with amplified voice in drum corps. Likewise, there are some geezers like me who are interested in the possibilities. Nonetheless, I am comfortable in my generalization and in the belief that a new generation has a new outlook on drum corps, one that is more expansive and inclusive than many "older" fans who complain about today's developments.

HH

Pssst. Not to interrupt the philosophical marching band argument ... but

Regardless of the narration, the Cadets drum line is UNREAL this year.

Blue Devils are fantastic as well, but I will be very surprised if any corps beats the Cadets at DCI 2007.

And the Crossmen win the new DCI bizarro world pre-show kinda-sorta warm-up. Which may inherently be a cool idea, but only two corps that I have seen so far use it well (Mandarins being the other).

...The move away from legacy to education

Are you suggesting that "legacy" (tradition) and the ability to "educate" are incompatible?

I'm tired of that pitch.

It has been stunning to me in the last four or five years how this activity, compared to just about any other artform or "sport" -- can have so much change forced/driven by a small group of men, to the objection of such a large portion of the membership and fan base.

Like, a few people get "BORED" with football as it is, and decide footballs will instead be made of wood and have small hand grips, goal posts can be moved around by the cheerleaders at will, coaching staff can roam freely on the field, and points are awarded for innovative use of vocals in play-calling. Budget-breaking "special effects" are added by those with the funds and power to make it so, and in the ensuing equipment arms race, many teams go bankrupt. A huge number of fans, players and coaches think it is all complete insanity -- change for change’s sake, not to mention a slap in the face of tradition (legacy). But those few with the power force it anyway, because they are "BORED" with football as it is.

Sorry. Back to my cave.

Are you suggesting that "legacy" (tradition) and the ability to "educate" are incompatible?

I'm tired of that pitch.

No, nothing of the sort, that response was just the general trending I've seen over the past 20+ years, not personal feelings on the subject. :)

No, nothing of the sort, that response was just the general trending I've seen over the past 20+ years, not personal feelings on the subject. :)

Good. Then I still like you. :)

Sorry. I'm a little testy today about a number of these kinds of things.

Edited by Dr Beat

It has been stunning to me in the last four or five years how this activity, compared to just about any other artform or "sport" -- can have so much change forced/driven by a small group of men, to the objection of such a large portion of the membership and fan base.

Like, a few people get "BORED" with football as it is, and decide footballs will instead be made of wood and have small hand grips, goal posts can be moved around by the cheerleaders at will, coaching staff can roam freely on the field, and blah blah blah...

Football is entertaining, but it's primarily a sport. The NFL has a vested interest in keeping football as much like it's always been, because competition is defined by the rules imposed. Drum corps might be competitive, but it's more in the realm of entertainment. When you think of it that way, it's no surprise that drum corps has changed over the past two or three decades. Just about every form of entertainment has changed dramatically as well, especially popular music.