Throw Down in the Desert!

wow....phantom 1 tenth behind cavies in guard. When did that happen ....

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the fellow that was reporting in as it was happening said there was really bad wind blowing during Crown's performance--he said flags and hats were blowing all over the field.

No that was Madison to Colts. It stopped half way through BAC, so your source is not correct.

6 Spirit from JSU 83.550

7 The Academy 83.450

8 Blue Stars 83.425

That has to be the closest race for 12th ever.

Sounds like last years battle at semis for 4th place with Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats.

I've bit my lip all season when Phantom was beating Crown in music, because I knew at the very least that their percussion was dominating and that brass/ensemble could go either way. But now that Phantom has beaten Crown in both Ensemble visual AND colorguard... that is total ########, I'm sorry.

I've bit my lip all season when Phantom was beating Crown in music, because I knew at the very least that their percussion was dominating and that brass/ensemble could go either way. But now that Phantom has beaten Crown in both Ensemble visual AND colorguard... that is total ########, I'm sorry.

Can't speak about Ens. Vis. which I thought was pretty close between the two. Crown really struggled last night in the guard department. Some of it was due to the wind. Lots of drops, alterations to make catches, etc. Regiment guard on the other hand had a very good night. I only saw one drop and there was a lot of uniformity throughout. I know they (Crown) are capable of much better as they were achieving quite well during practice, but also with some struggles. They are not the best guard in DCI this year though, that goes to the Cavaliers.

Nobody comes close to the demand of visual and playing that phantom has at the end of their show. I've watched their show lots of times online but seeing the jazz running in person for about 20-25 seconds while playing..... :wall: I agree with you on the colorguard, although Phantoms guard isn't that far off from Crown but the visual GE is a lot better in Phantom. Although Phantoms guard has slowly been coming together adding piece by piece for the last few weeks.

OMG.gif

Ahh...for the days when Drum Corps World would post reviews bi-weekly...

If the webcast technical problems (reported here) last night are as bad as they were reported, I'm sure late recaps are the least of DCI's worries. Not to mention preparations for finals in Pasadena, almost 2000 miles from the home office.

Cut them a little slack.

Or apply for the job: webmaster@dci.org.

:wall:

Someone needs to chill out in a BIG way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just asked a question. What used to happen years ago, doesn't have anything to do with it.

Your comment brings me to another topic, why don't we go back to G bugles, since that's the way we used to do it, in the 'good old days'.

Get with the times, luddite.

wow....phantom 1 tenth behind cavies in guard. When did that happen ....

Last night, apparently! Bump...and check out the new signature! :wall:

So... after writing out my 2 cents, I really realized how much I was actually watching the guard this time around. Mostly because I'm working on some things with the band I work with, but kind of because I wanted to see how they dealt with the wind when it picked up. As I got more tired, (since I got up at 3:45 am to pick up students to go help at PC's rehearsal and give the cook staff a break), I remembered less and less details... It was a LOOOONG day for me and the rain delay made it longer. The crowd really got into it... glad to know there are some die hard corps fans out here who aren't afraid of a little rain. ;)

Southwind: Hard time seeing their show and understanding it. In the Loop, I get the loop part but didn't get the feeling that they were portraying it 100%.

I totally agree - I didn't get it really... Is she just supposed to be "out of the loop" and then they include her? I think they could have done a LOT more to get that across... or maybe just eliminated it. It was more a distraction than anything at this point.

I saw Pioneer and was pleasantly surprised. They don't have the content of other groups but it was a VERY enjoyable show.

Agreed - I liked their show more than I liked Southwind's...

PC sounded better tonight as I was not able to hear their nonstop talking. (I am not entirely against vocals as long as they are appropriate!!!)

They cut a lot of it... I think there's only three bits now. Love the little touches that have been added. Definitely thought the score should have broken 80 tonight. I think it was DEFINITELY worthy and I'm being honest... not biased.

Madison: I'm very glad they seem to have recovered from their rough start this season. I LOVED the show... it was very in-your face at times... good crowd pleaser... right down to the seemingly huge guard guy that can definitely dance and was totally working it! That first drill move with the hornline was total GE gold. I loved it. I thought they should have gotten a little better of a score, but not much more... it was an appropriately proportionate spread to PC.

Blue Stars: felt bad for the guard with the wind... overall pretty good. Those pants are a blessing and a curse. They use them to their advantage at times during the show. There were some kids that were obviously being affected by the wind/not having their helmets... some soprano players just seemed to not be performing at 100% visually.. kind of half-performing moves. This was right about when I started feeling bad for them because of the weather.

Academy: I like the show more than when I first saw it in Glendale, AZ. The uniform change on the main characters REALLY helped. It still seemed like a hornline "check out what we can do" instead of a cohesive show.

Spirit: Nothing too memorable... Love the uni change though. Nice hornline.

Colts: Was super bummed that they didn't play through until I found out there was a lightning strike behind where the audience was sitting and that's why they cut them off. When they came back though after the delay... they brought their fire with them.

Boston: I REALLY felt bad for their guard. They came on right after Colts and the poor colorguard was fighting the residual wind/rain from the step off. I'm really surprised they didn't get a penalty for the staffer that came running across the back sideline on side 1 as they started the show all to put down a forgotten easel on like the 15 yard line on side 2. The hornline had more than started the show by the time he got over the front sideline. Gotta give that staffer props for keeping his endurance up... he was sprinting to get it out there. The wind was really a hinderance to them though... I'm sure I'll like it a lot more next week.

Crown: Definite crowd pleaser... I'm very impressed how much the guard really took on their roles. I thought it was really lighthearted and a good well-rounded package. LOVED the photo finish... they got the entire crowd to chuckle. Hornline was just tasty... loved it.

Regiment: First time seeing this show... liked it, thought the drill was pretty fitting. There were some definite moments of power. Couldn't believe all the equipment changes in the guard. Like three different rifles! Didn't notice them though until they had them in their hands... which was nice.

Cavaliers: This show exudes cool, IMO. I love Billy Joel, and I'm very glad they decided to use some of his classical stuff and not take the cliche "Piano Man" route. Lots and lots of running, but they pull it off. Overall nice, excited to see them again next week.

Someone needs to chill out in a BIG way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just asked a question. What used to happen years ago, doesn't have anything to do with it.

Your comment brings me to another topic, why don't we go back to G bugles, since that's the way we used to do it, in the 'good old days'.

Get with the times, luddite.

Consider me chilled. Rebutted, roasted, and insulted - all in one fell swoop! Nice job... :P

I was hoping you would throw out a bon mot about drums on slings or how great the hand-cranked timps felt on the back.

If you want to agonize over recaps not being on the web less than 10 hours after the completion of a show, be my guest.

Consider me chilled. Rebutted, roasted, and insulted - all in one fell swoop! Nice job... :P

I was hoping you would throw out a bon mot about drums on slings or how great the hand-cranked timps felt on the back.

If you want to agonize over recaps not being on the web less than 10 hours after the completion of a show, be my guest.

Let's don't forget marching tympani!!!!!!!!!!