Stanford Stadium - Review

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed this review and the candid responses from your friends watching for the first time. I also LOVE your pictures the SCV ones really ROCK! :wall:

Thanks for the review and pictures. It was a fun read!

this is like, the 5th review ,where Cadets got slammed for the same POOR sound quality of their narraion AND for

the excessive and POOR usage. HEY GEORGE NEXT TIME SAY IT WITH SAX'S maybe that 'll work 4 ya'.

Seriously tho' they've read the reviews too, and the judges can't be far off with THEIR" appreciation" of the narrative.So ,what reason could Cadets and their staff have for leaving it the way it is and not trying to fix it. PERHAPS it's just their way of saying

This is what WE want in the activity. The rest of you , the paying fans ,tough luck. AND YET the old adage that I grew up with is being exemplified right in front of them and they don't hear. IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT YOU DID IT WRONG.

I have heard many saying they don't know why the CROSSMEN are not scoring in the 85's ?

hard music , very hard drill , good guard , nice brass.

getting very clean .

best of all.

I little different than the average DCI show.

DCI wants to know why all shows are the same.

this one is different , if not given credit why should corps change from the DCI BORG.

should pass the pack.

:wall:

Edited by THE ORIGINAL

I have heard many saying they don't know why the CROSSMEN are not scoring in the 85's ?

hard music , very hard drill , good guard , nice brass.

getting very clean .

best of all.

I little different than the average DCI show.

DCI wants to know why all shows are the same.

this one is different , if not given credit why should corps change from the DCI BORG.

should pass the pack.

:wall:

Execution. Crossmen are still quite dirty. The musical pacing and design are very forced as well. I could see Madison beating them for 15th in Semis, and Cascades giving them a real push at 16th.

thanks for the review.

and as i said before in the BD web team thread... thanks for giving a FANS opinion for the whole show and not just bashing or picking apart a corps. its nice to read a review and know that you enjoyed the show instead of trying to be the judge.

So ,what reason could Cadets and their staff have for leaving it the way it is and not trying to fix it. PERHAPS it's just their way of saying

This is what WE want in the activity. The rest of you , the paying fans ,tough luck. AND YET the old adage that I grew up with is being exemplified right in front of them and they don't hear. IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT YOU DID IT WRONG.

Maybe the staff and the Cadets keep it in the show because it's not JUST about the fans. It is ALSO about those who march. You do NOT know what is going on in Cadetland, and you have not spoken to that corps to get a read on whether they like it or not, but the simple mentality that it should just be about the fans is absurd, selfish, and only speaks for yourself and not the WHOLE of the activity.

The simple thing to say is that the customer comes first, and unfortunately it is the customer who complains the most and sees the big picture the least. But in reality it is not about just one thing, it is about all kinds of things. It's about those kids, about the creative desires of the staff (who frankly wouldn't do what they do if they were to just be robots), it's about competition, it's about the FANS, and it's somewhat about current culture and the fact that much has changed since I grew up loving the activity in the 70s/80s. You can't expect every corps to please you, and frankly I have a hard time believing that people cannot find something to like in the Cadets show. I, too, can't stand most of the narration. I have griped about it on DCP several times, but HOLY COW is that one amazing corps playing great music and marching one ballsy drill. It takes absolute guts and confidence to hits those company fronts the way they do, and like at 90 MPH. MAN!! I was really impressed with them last night, and I was just watching the crappy telecast. Anyway, people have to learn to get over themselves and their personal biases in order to see clearly. You have been blinded, and that alone has stunted your appreciation of all that is good in the activity, even when there are only a few things you dislike about a show.

Also, your last comment is cliche and false. People love to say things like that, but frankly that is just too simplistic and a non-educated way of saying "I don't like how you have made me feel so I am going to cry foul and tell you that you did it wrong." Yes, you don't have to like their narration, but that is a whole different issue when compared with the generality you mention in your last sentence. "If you have to explain, you did it wrong." Sorry, but that is NOT TRUE. There are complicated formulas that have to be explained all the time. Does this apply there? We have to explain to students all the time how to approach something, theorize, organize, calculate, dissect, research, rehearse and more, and does that mean we have done something wrong? Phantom Regiment handed out librettos to the audience in 1982 for their Spartacus presentation. Does that mean they did it wrong? Hey, opera is complicated stuff, and the people who attend are pretty sophisticated people, and even they get librettos. Are they dumb, or did the opera company do something wrong?

You have used a common slogan, one supported by popular culture and its need for instant gratification, as though it were truth, but you have done so with no research into its meaning, and you seek nothing to support your claim.

Look, I understand bias in drum corps. I am no different than anyone else. I definitely have my favorites, and the Bluecoats are the real deal when it comes to that. But I also believe that no matter how faithful we are, and no matter how much bias we have, we must be able to see clearly and not be blinded by hate, fear, or our inability to seek the truth. I was quite frankly surprised that Bluecoats scored as well as they did last night, because as much as I love them, they were DIRTY. Boy do I hope we clean. So as biased as I can be, I also have to be honest. They were good last night, but not as good as I know they can be. Cadets were amazing. My ability to see what really is tells me this. I still hate the narration in the 3rd movement, but WOW did they just perform like mad men. I was impressed, and I am only lying to myself if I think or say otherwise.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

Seriously tho' they've read the reviews too, and the judges can't be far off with THEIR" appreciation" of the narrative.

Who are your "judges" to whom you refer, reviewers or the men and women that have been giving the Cadets fairly high GE marks (with the exception of the first show)?

I agree, the judges are not far off in their opinions. I may disagree as to who the judges are.

George gets lots of feedback (not just from DCP and RAMD reviews), some postive and some negative. Why should he listen only to the most strident critics?