Booing and the Cadets

There were also inappropriate things yelled during the Cadets finals performance, and some people laughing as if that was ok. I am glad that happened far from me, because if those $%^$%^% would have been anywhere close to me, they would have had a problem, and it would have been to their advantage to have security remove them first......while I am at it, we also now have tons of new $%^$^$ who feel that they deserve to make the record by yelling in quiet spots.....they need to be taken out......if that is your conduct, go to where it belongs...at monster trucks or pro wrestling........

GB

Technically, in the cosmic sense, there is no such thing as wrong.

Besides, you see this play out in politics all the time. People don't personally agree with something, yet they support another persons freedom to behave in that way. Makes sense to me.

No. In our society, we sometimes tolerate aberrant behavior without conceding that the behavior in question is acceptable. That's the price of the social contract. In this context, I concede the right to free speech includes the right to boo. That doesn't mean I think that booing in this context is appropriate, much less desirable. It's not.

Don't like the Cadets show? Tell your friends. Write a book. Leave me out of it.

HH

Edited by glory

Goodness people, why is everyone getting so worked up over something so common?

Whenever there is a crowd, and that crowd is pleased, they cheer and applaud. Whenever there is a crowd, and that crowd is unhappy, they boo and jeer.

They were voicing their displeasure at the Cadets having to leave the field and cause a delay. They didn't know what was going on, they were just unhappy that an unpopular group like the Cadets was causing a disturbance. That's how large groups of people show their frustration... Geez...

With 80 pages of discussion, we've made this a much bigger deal than it is.

Goodness people, why is everyone getting so worked up over something so common?

Whenever there is a crowd, and that crowd is pleased, they cheer and applaud. Whenever there is a crowd, and that crowd is unhappy, they boo and jeer.

They were voicing their displeasure at the Cadets having to leave the field and cause a delay. They didn't know what was going on, they were just unhappy that an unpopular group like the Cadets was causing a disturbance. That's how large groups of people show their frustration... Geez...

With 80 pages of discussion, we've made this a much bigger deal than it is.

You just gotta put it into perspective. The "defenders til the death" now have bones to chew on, mainly the ones that werent even there....but they think they walk the high road at all times and couldnt wait for an incident like this to show-off their "holier than thou" faux behaviour and condemn and ridicule the rest of the drum corps world as bozos, inferior, and brainless.

Reality is what it is and 80 pages of folly, hi-jinks, and comic relief wont change, alter or re-invent the issue.

~G~

Watch how many "defenders" come after me....LOL and they always attack the poster never the issue or the view on the issue. Ironic.

Whenever there is a crowd, and that crowd is unhappy, they boo and jeer.

Not true. Crowds withhold their sentiments all the time. In particular, they withhold their negative sentiments for all sorts of reasons.

I'll give you a couple of examples. How many of us were disappointed that Madison wasn't as thrilling as in past years? You didn't boo though, and neither did I. Some of us hoped Phantom would pass Cavies. We didn't boo when they didn't. Didn't boo any of the scores we disagreed with.

Crowds don't boo and jeer all the time - not hardly.

HH

Great rationalization! So I guess when you boo, they think "Wow, these people are obviously upset about the design of points A, B, and C in my show and I should consider changing it to D, E, and F so that will meet with their approval".

Makes a huge amount of sense.

Another weightless argument for booing. <**>

First let me say that I did not boo the Cadets or anyone else for that matter. I was responding to someone who suggested that if you are upset about the choices and directions certain corps staffs are making; write them an email. My reply suggested to this person that they should discuss the matter face to face. It is a lot more effective this way. For myself sending, email has proved next to worthless.....for the most part. I have found that a response is rare......at best. GH does respond to most of his emails.....

You just gotta put it into perspective. The "defenders til the death" now have bones to chew on, mainly the ones that werent even there....but they think they walk the high road at all times and couldnt wait for an incident like this to show-off their "holier than thou" faux behaviour and condemn and ridicule the rest of the drum corps world as bozos, inferior, and brainless.

Reality is what it is and 80 pages of folly, hi-jinks, and comic relief wont change, alter or re-invent the issue.

~G~

Watch how many "defenders" come after me....LOL and they always attack the poster never the issue or the view on the issue. Ironic.

G,

Couldn't wait for an incident like this? That's what I said about Thursday's boos. Am I coming after you? Only if you think those who respond to the provocation are the provacateurs.

Hopkins and the Cadets were right. The boo-ers were wrong. What is there to defend?

HH

Dan Acheson and DCI said clearly and unequivocally that Hopkins was correct. Not only was Hopkins correct, Acheson said, he behaved appropriately at all times and in all respects.

Plain and simple, this is SPIN:

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Plenty of us were there and witnessed things first hand. You don't expect them to say this, do you:

“Well, Mr. Hopkins was giving me an earful. I thought he was being an ###, so I began to walk off the field without even turning around to acknowledge him. However, after reviewing the potential PR nightmare, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was easier to kowtow,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

I don't think you saw this little exchange, did you? I know what I saw, and what I saw is not reflected in that first snippet above. The truth shall set you free :)

Booing is not "face to face"...it's an anonymous act of self indulgence that displays a total lack of control and humanity.

BTW...many anti-Cadet/Hoppy DCP people have written Hoppy emails and reported back that he did indeed read them and respond.

I have stated numerous times that GH responds to most of his emails. I did not boo the Cadets or anyone else for that matter. I basically suggested that if you feel the need to discuss an issue that is bothering you about a corps, discuss the matter face to face with a staff member or director.

I’ll give those who booed on Thursday this: You used the opportunity you had. You were waiting all year for a chance to boo the Cadets or narration or YEA or Hopkins or however you rationalize it. So when it seemed you had a technical point on which you could voice your outrage and still claim to support the kids, you took it.
I said this on page one of the first thread about booing. People have been chomping at the bit to boo the Cadets and Thursday night afforded them the loophole they needed to publically wallow in the mud with other classless individuals then justify it in the light of day. Whatever it takes I suppose to make yourself feel better after acting a fool at a musical performance of young people. Unbelievable.
But you were wrong. Hopkins and the Cadets were right, and you were wrong. The penalty was reversed. The boos echo.

:worthy::blink: