Booing and the Cadets

No one booed the kids. And yes, I was there.

All the booing was directed at one person.

How do you know they weren't booing the kids? Are you their spokesperson? :beer:

No class is no class no matter how many people try to justify it.

Its my point that its still not classy. If there is one thing I learned over the years of marching at BK, there is a considerable lack of class in the activity. That includes many corps, many directors, many staff members, and many "fans" that post on this board. If anything, I learned marching that the most important value that a corps has is their class. For example, I will always admire SCV for how they ran their corps in '05 and they will always have me as a fan. I think we, as fans, do not recognize the importance of class in the activity. Maybe there is a reason that many housing sites are no longer available for DCI - I know this to be a fact.

I completely agree. I actually brought my kid home this summer from a group that was having some "class" issues. Her words? "I thought this activity was going to help me grow, but if I followed along with some of these kids all summer, I would have been taking a giant step backwards." Of course this doesn't represent the entire activity...just a tiny fraction of one group and I'm really happy that she wasn't soured to the whole activity and still wants to try again, albeit with a different group.

Asfor the booing at the show last night. I'm sure the kids (young adults, whatever you call them) on the field marching with the Cadets knew what they were getting into and realized that much of the verbal displeasure was directed at Hopkins. But I am equally sure that even with that knowledge, it had to hurt. They put just as much sweat equity into their show that anyone else did all summer and deserved to be applauded and justly rewarded by the crowd for their efforts. If I go hear the local symphony orchestra, but really dislike part of their program, I'm not going to boo or even sit on my hands. I will recognize the work that went into the program and appreciate the performers for what they accomplish. I don't like the narration either...not drum corps to me. But I DO appreciate how fast those feet move, and how well those kids play. I just think this activity as a whole should be above that stuff...and so should the fans. You don't like it? Fine....sit on your hands, don't applaud, write diatribes on DCP...but don't "boo" them when they are on the field. It's just not cool, mature, classy...whatever you want to call it.

I say that we need to be COMPLETELY quiet during shows.

You can't boo, and you can't cheer.

There, lets take care of everybody.

Seriously, I think this would cause the biggest effect. The kids feed off the energy of the crowd, and Mr. Hopkins obviously likes to rile everyone up. Just think what would happen if you saw 15000 people sitting on their hands . . .

I find it odd how those at home feel they can judge the crowd in California. DCP may be a great outlet for expression, but as many a Cadet fan has stated in the past, DCP is not reality. Reality was last night, those of us in the crowd that flew or drove or walked to the stadium, paid our money, bought our tickets and lived through quarterfinals.

Taking the alleged high road and condemning people form all walks of life because they dont live by your standards is more telling of your character than those that voiced their dismay at the show.

People from all walks of life, young, old, rich, poor, and many that contributed a heck of a lot more to the activity thatn most sitting at home judging them.

Classless ?? According to who ? Without DCP, your cries for decency/maturity would go unheard.

I think it takes a lot for someone that wasnt there to sit in the throne of judgement, and is quite telling of the character of those posting than those actually at the stadium...

just my 2 cents, back to bed.

~G~

Typical schpiel from you. The old you weren't there so you can't have an opinion line. Does it matter if I heard the booing or not, G? Does it matter that every detail has been lined out here and on DCI's website? Shockingly, those of us who were not there still know what happened and are able to form an opinion on booing and yes, classless people.

No one booed the kids. And yes, I was there.

All the booing was directed at one person.

First of all, you don't know this. Secondly, it does not matter who it was directed towards, it happened while they were out on the field. It's a bad move.

When lead trumpet pays 4 million for a season, then you can boo.

:beer: Winner!

I hope Cadets stick it up the *filter circumvention* of every person that was booing and win the championship. Will DCI allow that to happen in California I doubt it and would say BD is going to win a championship. They are a very good corp as well and are worthy champions. Heck who knows Cadets may end up in 3rd which would be as big a joke as those fans that are booing but DCI has done crazier things before. If you are one of the ones booing or trying to defend booing you have NO CLASS!! This is performing arts not NASCAR so grow up and if you can not understand the content or level of performance being put in front of you just ask someone to explain do not resort to booing.

IT also seems as if DCI has become more like following other sports in that I am a fan of _______ so no matter what I am not going to like ___________.

Get over it and respect the kids. As said earlier show up at YEA and present your argument or write a letter.

Go ahead and start blasting away on me I have thick skin and can take it.

-edited by Ben

i mean- bottom line- this is a performance ART- it IS a competition in one sense- but in another its a display of artistic pageantry. certainly very different than a baseball or basketball game- you're not there TO see your team win- i mean seeing them win would be awesome, and you want that- but thats not WHY you are there- you're there because you love the passion of the activity and because at some level we ALL enjoy watching 135 kids on a field marching while playing music- we dig it or we wouldn't be here-

i maintain my analogy* that booing a DCI show would be like going to the olympics and booing the russian figure skaters because you don't like their style and you want the US to get the gold-

(this analogy is used because its probably the highest and most recognizable level where one person/team designs and performs a show that is judged and scored for the competition...-i have no skating experience at all- just think its the best analogy we can use for trying to look outside our world and compare with something else...)

I don't know about the theaters that everyone else was at, but at my theater, there were serious signs of disrespect. Before the intermission, when DCI shows 10 second or so clips of all of the corps that perform after the break, as soon as the Cadets came up, there was a chorus of boos from the back of the auditorium. This was before the Hopkins field lines controversy, and there was no picture or Hopkins reference on the screen at the time of the boos. These people booed the Cadets, not Hopkins, not YEA!, they booed the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps.

Was it like this everywhere, or is Rochester, NY particularly disrespectful?

Here's what happens....a group, whatever (football, hockey, drum corps, etc) wins alot and may have a controversial owner or manager or player. They are going to get booed! It's nice if a corps wins once, maybe twice but it's natural for people to dislike that group after so many wins. The other thing is Hoppy brings this on himself, not the kids. If every kid (and they still are kids) walks into a Cadets audition and they don't know about this corps, shouldn't be there. Hopkins has created his reputation over years (the Al Davis of drum corps). He knew why the crowd was booing, it was for him.

Let's be honest, he is good at what he does albeit controversial. George Hopkins created George Hopkins and HIS actions cause people to dislike his corps. I am waiting for the corps to change their name to the George Hopkins Cadets. But George deserves all the credit because he created the Cadets. He became the director when they used to be called the Garfield Cadets. He hired a staff of people that molded a DCI Champion and as those staff people left, Hopkins replaced them with people that continued to produce a winner.

I am not a Hoppy fan BUT don't you think that the man has done more than Royer and Seawright? Not to take away from their accomplishments mind you. I was in Philly on the 50 yard line watching Blue Crew win their first DCI Championship but hated them after they won their third. I wanted someone new to win. I still want someone new to win. I am tired of seeing Cadets, Blue Devils and Cavaliers winning year after year! Can't Bluecoats win? Can't Blue Stars win? The best kids go to the corps that draw them and face it, The cadets program draws GOOD musicians.