Booing and the Cadets

How do you know they weren't booing the kids? Are you their spokesperson? :beer:

No class is no class no matter how many people try to justify it.

Because it was very easy to tell from the stands. The booing was accompanied by various taunts and insults directed at George.

I can't speak for everyone, so maybe I should re-state. I am 99% sure no one was booing the kids, judging from what I heard in the stands.

I really have to disagree with this statement.

Is booing going to change what happens in the activity.

No.

Is what Hoppy does going to change the activity.

More than likely.

Hoppy doesn't do one thing to 'change the activiy' all by his lonesome self. The majority of the voting members have to agree with WHATEVER proposals are made for them to become legal.

They're Not kids! period!

The average age of every corps is under 21, so IMO they are indeed 'kids'.

In any case, tat makes no one bit of difference. Booing any performance, esp of non-professionals, is an awful thing to do...and IMO it's an awful thing to somehow rationalize as being "OK" here on DCP. Disgusting behavior and mindset.

Quite simply, you're wrong. None of those kids are 3rd graders who can't tell the difference between non-approval for the show and personal insults. They all are in college and stay current with the activity. They know that Hopkins is not generally approved, and that his taste in shows is look on with disdain. If you really think that anyone was booing the kids themselves, or if you think that the kids thought that they were the target of the booing, you're immensely mistaken.

And flammaster is right, none of them are even kids. They are young adults who are quite well versed in the ups and downs of live performance art. They don't need to be coddled like 9 year olds at a elementary band recital.

No, but they needed to be treated with the respect thjey deserve. Booing a performance of young people...non-professionals at that...is just plain disgusting. You can rationalize it all hyou want to try and think you aren't booing the members, but that's a crock of self-serving justification for unjustifiable action.

All this means is that the Cadets will come back tonight with more resolve and win DCI. All the booers and detractors of the Cadets are the cause for their next and well deserved championship.

That may be true, but not relevant. The OP's point was that booing the director and his show design is no different than booing the performers, and that the performers can't tell the difference. The OP is wrong.

No, you are 100% wrong....he is absolutely correct.

Because it was very easy to tell from the stands. The booing was accompanied by various taunts and insults directed at George.

I can't speak for everyone, so maybe I should re-state. I am 99% sure no one was booing the kids, judging from what I heard in the stands.

Boo a performance...you are booing the members doing the performing.

All this means is that the Cadets will come back tonight with more resolve and win DCI. All the booers and detractors of the Cadets are the cause for their next and well deserved championship.

Which may well have been the point of all of this. All things considered, Hopkins is known for being a bit of a megalomaniac. What are the chances that NO ONE on his staff knew the state of the field before he said something to squeeze the drama out of the situation?

It's a moot point now, but it DOES make his corps seem more sympathetic, whether that was his intent or not.

This is worse than a Spanish soap opera.

AHHHHHH! Jim, you're making me defend something I find repugnant!

Anyone who has the brains and artistry to march a top 6 drum corps show knows who's being booed.

I don't like booing, not at all, but I cannot fault those who feel that this is perhaps the only thing that they can do to have an effect that won't kill the activity.

"The extreme always makes an impression." Sad but true.

Hi Harry, I agree that the members know who or what is being booed. Just the idea of booing while a corps is doing something that they busted their butts on all summer bothers me. Personnal I prefer to go to the bathroom or get some food during a show I disagree with. IMO, an empty seat is better way to show disapproval than booing. (It also doesn't bother someone who wants to watch the show.)

#### you mean I actually had "brains and artisty" during my one and only time with a Top 6 corps. :P

PS - Glad to see you back, ya fellow Westshore Bari ya... :)