DCI Title lost over hash marks?

You have to be kidding me???

Didn't every corps walk into finals with a clean sheet? How could quarters have anything to do with finals? Hey Cadets lost to BD by almost a point. Good for BD>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a Cadets supporter. And I am not making up excuses for the loss. I am not crying over the results. I think that BD had the best show and deserved to win. What I was pointing out to all those who are so quick to attack this without reading it is this...why did the Cadets' score drop as much as it did from Friday to Saturday? Why did BD's rise so much over the same period? Chill out guys and girls. Discuss why scores are the way they are. I think Thursday had more of an effect than you think...when you stop to look at the scores and think about it.

As far as the question about how does Quarters have anything to do with Finals, the answer is - name how many times the corps this year had three performances in a row...and these were major performances, not local shows. If they don't manage their time and energy carefully, the tank can be empty on Saturday. I am claiming the Cadets' tank was on empty. I was not in Pasadena, so if you were, tell me why the Cadets' score dropped. I've offered my thoughts.

Oh please, even in the world of judging conspiracies The Cadets were in excellent position after Friday night to win. The .05 spread set them up perfectly for it to be anyones game on Saturday.

If the Cadets had their best show on Friday and Blue Devils had their best show on Saturday then I really don't think it makes any difference in the grand scheme of things because The Cadets couldn't beat the Blue Devils with their best performance.

Quarterfinals is a distant memory by this point.

Hoppy strikes again! His kids were all pumped up and he pulls them off the field because a few tiny white lines that they probably weren't even thinking about weren't bright enough for him. DUH!

Congratulations on knowing how the kids feel about what happened without having talked to them :blink:

I am not a Cadets supporter. And I am not making up excuses for the loss. I am not crying over the results. I think that BD had the best show and deserved to win. What I was pointing out to all those who are so quick to attack this without reading it is this...why did the Cadets' score drop as much as it did from Friday to Saturday? Why did BD's rise so much over the same period? Chill out guys and girls. Discuss why scores are the way they are. I think Thursday had more of an effect than you think...when you stop to look at the scores and think about it.

As far as the question about how does Quarters have anything to do with Finals, the answer is - name how many times the corps this year had three performances in a row...and these were major performances, not local shows. If they don't manage their time and energy carefully, the tank can be empty on Saturday. I am claiming the Cadets' tank was on empty. I was not in Pasadena, so if you were, tell me why the Cadets' score dropped. I've offered my thoughts.

Scores are relative. It's all about spreads.

If The Cadets peaked on Friday and the Blue Devils peaked on Saturday then I don't see why you can't understand why the spread opened up on Saturday

This I believe...

The Blue Devils were the better corps on Saturday thus they won.

This I believe...

George Hashmarks Hopkinson didn't do his corps image or his any favors in Quarterfinals.

This I believe...

Hoppy doesnt seem to care...remember it's about the performers not you!

Doesn't seem to care? I love when people make statements about someone they do not know. You can say a lot of things about the man, but not caring about his kids is dead wrong. Try again, and instead of trying to be clever, why not go for some facts.

My take on this is that regardless of Thursday, Friday night The Cadets came out and were on fire. I thought for sure they would be in first at the end Friday night judging by the top 2 performances. When they judges did not give it to them, that spoke volumes and I knew deep down that there was no way for them to win on Saturday.

The hash mark issue cost the Cadets a chance at the title. Without judging if GH was right or wrong in holding the corps back until the field was repainted, the impact was clear. While the Cadets had been beating BD in the two previous head-to-head competitions, BD beat them by a rather large margin for Quarters. Why? It is clear the delay...or booing...or influence on the judges affected the corps performance. The Cadets came in fifth in both brass and colorguard. Was the corps affected by booing? The scores seem to say yes. But this could have been equally caused by the delay of waiting after they were ready to go on. Clearly Thursday night's performance was sub-par.

So what, how does that cause them to lose on Saturday? The relatively low score on Thursday was a shock to the corps. They knew they could do better. They set out to prove that on Friday. As quoted by the Cadets DM after the show, "You’ll see us come out with a new fire tomorrow and we will improve upon [our performance] tonight. I promise that you will definitely see what you would expect to see from the Cadets." They did just that. And the recaps show it. They came within 0.050 of BD. However, while the Cadets left everything out there on Friday night, listen to what Dave Gibbs said about BD, "We’re gearing up for tomorrow night (Saturday) and we’re excited for our last show. We backed off of the kids a little bit tonight, so I think we have a couple more gears left in us for tomorrow night’s performance." Ok, they say that stuff all the time, but this time I think both meant it.

So the Cadets had gone all out on Friday, and BD was saving some for Saturday. Look at the results for Saturday; the spread was huge by this year's standards. Why did the Cadets come so close on Friday night only to fall back on Saturday? The Cadets' score actually dropped, while BD's soared. It was because of the reaction to Thursday's low score.

So who do the Cadets blame. Knowing the class of the corps, they will blame themselves for their own score. But if you want complain about the cause of the low score on Thursday, there are plenty of opportunities. Tony DiCarlo should have made sure the field was properly painted before restarting after intermission. George Hopkins should have realized the reaction the Cadets would get if he stopped the show to repaint. I'm sure there will be Cadets' supporters out there that will blame the fans for booing.

Whatever the reason, the hash mark issue really did have a big effect.

I think the author of this nonsense saw the movie, "Conspiracy Theory," once too often. Talk about a lack of sportsmanship.

Oh for heaven's sake. The Cadets lost because the Blue Devils gave a better performance of a GREAT SHOW.

Agreed on some respects - I seriously doubt the penalty really affected the corps. It didn't hurt their caption scores, it just came straight off the top - therefore, they were still up to win a few. However, I will disagree that BD gave a "better" performance. BD had a more friendly design, and that helped them a lot. It took a lot of guts for the Cadets to perform as well as they did in the face of such criticism. I have no shame in saying that I thought the Cadets were the best performing corps on the field this year (with the exception of drums :))

Oh for heaven's sake. The Cadets lost because the Blue Devils gave a better performance of a GREAT SHOW.

Exactly! How did I know when I signed onto DCP today the borg would be whining like little girls about not winning last night!

The better corps won - get over it - look forward to next season!

Final scores do not a great show make....