DCI Title lost over hash marks?

Um, whatever. It's all politics anyway... Just enjoy the shows and forget about everything else...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it so amazing - every year we see this thread. "My favorite corps lost because *put your consiracy theory here*". If you want to walk away from the season focusing on your frustration, on your disappointment, that is your choice. To me, that's like writing a beautiful poem, and ending it with a big turd for a period.

If fans of the "slotting" theory really believe that DCI is so corrupt, the judging so inept, why do you care who wins? wouldn't winning be meaningless anyway?

Satisfaction, fulfillment, pride - these things come to those who focus on what's important. Looking back (wayback) on my time in corps, the numbers don't define my experience. I almost hope that the 4-7 corps stay there next year, & leave fans of the top 3 to bicker and whine.

BTW - Congrats, SCV on another great season. I'm confident that all those kids had a year that they will always treasure. SCV is SCV, always! (regardless of placement), & that tradition of class is something that doesn't depend on DCI or the judges, or anyone else - it's an ethos they generate from within the organization.

I know many others must feel the same way about their corps - I'm sure it's not JUST SCV - but I will alway be thankful that I learned that lesson there. Just handle your business, and you win. You judge yourself, in the end.

If fans of the "slotting" theory really believe that DCI is so corrupt, the judging so inept, why do you care who wins? wouldn't winning be meaningless anyway?

You know how that works. If the judging appears to be in line with their beliefs, it is correct. When it differs from their view, there must be something wrong with it.

Edited by Tekneek

I find it so amazing - every year we see this thread. "My favorite corps lost because *put your consiracy theory here*".

Except that isn't going on here considering The Cadets aren't the OPs favorite corps and none of The Cadets fans are screaming conspiracy.

Except that isn't going on here considering The Cadets aren't the OPs favorite corps and none of The Cadets fans are screaming conspiracy.

I guess your right (re this individual's post). I stand corrected. I guess it would be more accurate to say that people seem to look for some reason why their favorite corps didn't win or place as they desire - something other than the corps performance (which they deeply believe was the best). "Maybe it was this, maybe it was that". Only some fans go so low as to posit slotting.

I'm not singling out the Cadets, either - I said "every year". Every corps has it's hard years, & I'm sure every fan shares this impulse to some degree. I also honor the LOOOOONG tradition of excellence that the Cadets represent (which started LOOOOONG before Hopkins came into the picture, and will hopefully last LOOOOONG after he's moved on up to ?) I have no axe to grind AGAINS'T anyone. I loved the Cadets back in the day when they were placing 13th. I just think that the end of the season should be a time to remember what's important about the activity, and it isn't a ring (IMHO).

I'm pretty sure the individual Cadets all came away from the season fulfilled, & glad they marched. I think it does them a disservice to focus on the politics. DCP opinions are skinny trees, & their lives will hopefully develop into a dense forest. The end of the season is a time to look at the forest.

I guess your right (re this individual's post). I stand corrected. I guess it would be more accurate to say that people seem to look for some reason why their favorite corps didn't win or place as they desire - something other than the corps performance (which they deeply believe was the best). "Maybe it was this, maybe it was that". Only some fans go so low as to posit slotting.

I'm not singling out the Cadets, either - I said "every year". Every corps has it's hard years, & I'm sure every fan shares this impulse to some degree. I also honor the LOOOOONG tradition of excellence that the Cadets represent (which started LOOOOONG before Hopkins came into the picture, and will hopefully last LOOOOONG after he's moved on up to ?) I have no axe to grind AGAINS'T anyone. I loved the Cadets back in the day when they were placing 13th. I just think that the end of the season should be a time to remember what's important about the activity, and it isn't a ring (IMHO).

I'm pretty sure the individual Cadets all came away from the season fulfilled, & glad they marched. I think it does them a disservice to focus on the politics. DCP opinions are skinny trees, & their lives will hopefully develop into a dense forest. The end of the season is a time to look at the forest.

I agree that it does happen, I'm just saying that this particular thread is not an example of that :P

Oh for heaven's sake. The Cadets lost because the Blue Devils gave a better performance of a GREAT SHOW.

The Blue Devils won the 2007 DCI Championship by winning ALL the major Regionals, East, West, South, North..... you name it. Then they went out and with 3 separate juging panels they won the Quartefinals, Semi Finals, and then distanced themselves from all competitors with a convincing win by a pretty comfortable margin at Finals. The Hopkins' Harsh Marks, delays, Tony De Carlo, Cadets unnerved, the booing, Cadets not being ready. Cadets out of gas at finals......blah blah blah blah blah.......

The Blue Devils won their 12th DCI Title in convincing fashion in 2007..... END.... OF....STORY.

Edited by X DM

The Blue Devils won the 2007 DCI Championship by winning ALL the major Regionals, East, West, South, North..... you name it. Then they went out and with 3 separate juging panels they ewon the Quartefinals, Semi Finals, and then distanced themselves from all competitors with a convincing win by a pretty comfortable margin at Finals. Hopkins' Harsh marks, delays, Tony De Carlo, Cadets unnerved, the booing, Cadets not being ready., Cadets out of gas at finsals..blah blah blah blah blah.......

Blue Devils won their 12th DCI Title in convincing fashion in 2007..... END.... OF....STORY.

And that, right there, is the crux of it all.

The hash mark issue cost the Cadets a chance at the title. Without judging if GH was right or wrong in holding the corps back until the field was repainted, the impact was clear. While the Cadets had been beating BD in the two previous head-to-head competitions, BD beat them by a rather large margin for Quarters. Why? It is clear the delay...or booing...or influence on the judges affected the corps performance. The Cadets came in fifth in both brass and colorguard. Was the corps affected by booing? The scores seem to say yes. But this could have been equally caused by the delay of waiting after they were ready to go on. Clearly Thursday night's performance was sub-par.

So what, how does that cause them to lose on Saturday? The relatively low score on Thursday was a shock to the corps. They knew they could do better. They set out to prove that on Friday. As quoted by the Cadets DM after the show, "You’ll see us come out with a new fire tomorrow and we will improve upon [our performance] tonight. I promise that you will definitely see what you would expect to see from the Cadets." They did just that. And the recaps show it. They came within 0.050 of BD. However, while the Cadets left everything out there on Friday night, listen to what Dave Gibbs said about BD, "We’re gearing up for tomorrow night (Saturday) and we’re excited for our last show. We backed off of the kids a little bit tonight, so I think we have a couple more gears left in us for tomorrow night’s performance." Ok, they say that stuff all the time, but this time I think both meant it.

So the Cadets had gone all out on Friday, and BD was saving some for Saturday. Look at the results for Saturday; the spread was huge by this year's standards. Why did the Cadets come so close on Friday night only to fall back on Saturday? The Cadets' score actually dropped, while BD's soared. It was because of the reaction to Thursday's low score.

So who do the Cadets blame. Knowing the class of the corps, they will blame themselves for their own score. But if you want complain about the cause of the low score on Thursday, there are plenty of opportunities. Tony DiCarlo should have made sure the field was properly painted before restarting after intermission. George Hopkins should have realized the reaction the Cadets would get if he stopped the show to repaint. I'm sure there will be Cadets' supporters out there that will blame the fans for booing.

Whatever the reason, the hash mark issue really did have a big effect.

LOL LOL LOL LOL, umm, what ?????The title was "lost" by the Cadets ?? no the title was won, earned, all three nights by the Wolrd champion Blue Devils beating the Cadets on the field presenting their shows and having it judged and receiving a higher score by those judges.......LOL LOL LOL

~G~

LOL LOL LOL LOL, umm, what ?????The title was "lost" by the Cadets ?? no the title was won, earned, all three nights by the Wolrd champion Blue Devils beating the Cadets on the field presenting their shows and having it judged and receiving a higher score by those judges.......LOL LOL LOL

~G~

Agreed

This thread is pretty silly.

Thursday night Cadets gave a very flat and rattled performance - probably the fault of the circumstances and the angry crowd reaction

Friday night Cadets were on fire - and tied BD

Saturday Cadets gave a nice performance but BD was simply better.

Nothing bad - great season for the Cadets - but BD deserved the championship. It was obvious - especially in music imho