DCI Title lost over hash marks?

Exactly! How did I know when I signed onto DCP today the borg would be whining like little girls about not winning last night!

The better corps won - get over it - look forward to next season!

I am hardly a member of the borg, in fact, I'm quite possibly the farthest thing from - but I DO have a problem with it...so get over it. As if the BD fans wouldn't be whining if they had lost? If anything, I think the spread should have been smaller.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hardly a member of the borg, in fact, I'm quite possibly the farthest thing from - but I DO have a problem with it...so get over it. As if the BD fans wouldn't be whining if they had lost? If anything, I think the spread should have been smaller.

Hey - I'm no great BD fan - not since the early 90's - If I had my way Madison would have been on the podium. Just think its funny - all the whining going on.

If I had my way Madison would have been on the podium. Just think its funny - all the whining going on.

I heard a LOT of people echoing that same sentiment. So, at the very least - they are winning back the fans. I would consider that a successful season for Madison.

Hoppy strikes again! His kids were all pumped up and he pulls them off the field because a few tiny white lines that they probably weren't even thinking about weren't bright enough for him. DUH!

I dont like the premise of this thread, but this is just ignorant. The kids couldnt see the hashes, and were generally scared, both for their safety, and for the quality of their performance. You should probably stop assuming what was in the minds of the members when you dont have a clue. I asked them, they told me, this is a fact.

Final scores do not a great show make....

That quote is one of the smartest things I've heard anyone say around here in a long time...

Now I agree, the Cadets probably would have had a better performance in quarters if not for the hashmark controversy. In fact, kids have been quoted as saying that all the booing DID affect them adversly. They didn't expect it, so they couldn't prepare for it. Whether the fans were booing Hoppy or the corps, it doesn't matter. The kids heard the booing, and it hurt their performance.

However, the Cadets DID have a smokin performance on Friday. In my opinion, the Blue Devils were a bit flat. The reasons for that can be as stated in the beginning of this post. Cadets were determined for the moment. BD was looking more towards Saturday. Perhaps if the Cadets had won on Thursday, they could have eased off a bit on Friday also. We will never know for sure.

Anything else is really conjecture at this point. 99% of the people posting on here right now weren't at finals, so it is impossible to really say what the performances were like. However, Dave Gibbs did say on DCI.org that it was the best performance EVER by BD, since 1974. They were probably motivated by playing in their home state, and maybe nothing could have prevented them from winning. Good job by Blue Devils!!

But again, FINALS SCORES DO NOT A GREAT SHOW MAKE! I will most likely enjoy different things about ALL the shows for years to come. It doesn't matter to me who won or who came in 12th.

The judges caused the DCI title to be lost. Please tell me how in the hell a corps can earn .1 points one night, separating themselves from the 2nd place corps by an insanely small margin and only about .5 over 3rd place.. then ALL OF A SUDDEN, they jump nearly a point the next night while 2nd and 3rd gain very little and actually drop, respectively. Slotted, hmm? I'll give BD the cleanest show of the year award, sure.. but to jump nearly a point with a show that was about as clean as it can get in one night... that's a lie. <**> I guess since finals is in indy next year that means either Cavs or PR's gonna win.

While you are coming up with these theories, let me know what your theory is for this:

1992 Quarterfinals - Star beats Cavaliers by .7 and Cadets by 1.1

1992 Semifinals - Star loses to Cavaliers by .2 and beats Cadets by .7

1992 Finals - Star ends up .8 below Cavaliers and .3 below Cadets

How could that happen when they didn't even have a hash mark controversy?

I'll tell you why I think that happened. Star was a corps that was unpopular with most fans (albeit unfairly) because they were the "spoiled rich kids" of DCI. Yes, I know they weren't really spoiled, but that was the perception a the time. Fans did not want to see Star win. They probably would have accepted anyone else, even with the show that Star did that year that I think was pretty cool (American Variations). Just watch the video of Finals retreat from 1992 and you'll see how happy the fans are when Star is announced third (it's probably on youtube or google video or something).

I'll tell you why I think that happened. Star was a corps that was unpopular with most fans (albeit unfairly) because they were the "spoiled rich kids" of DCI. Yes, I know they weren't really spoiled, but that was the perception a the time. Fans did not want to see Star win. They probably would have accepted anyone else, even with the show that Star did that year that I think was pretty cool (American Variations). Just watch the video of Finals retreat from 1992 and you'll see how happy the fans are when Star is announced third (it's probably on youtube or google video or something).

Yay....a conspiracy theory about someone other than the cadets. Woooooooo. Please continue.