2008 show ideas

My 2008 Predictions!!! You heard it here first!

Phantom: Strauss - Till Eulenspiegel, any Mahler, and ballad will be Prelude to Act III of Kunihild by Kistler

Cavaliers: Back to something that is based off a visual design and music is written for that visual design.

Blue Devils: Try to repeat their championship with another show comprised almost completely of 2 things: loud playing and drum transitions in-between the loud playing.

Carolina: Will become Phantom-light. Not quite such dark music - but will stay in the symphonic realm, possibly escaping for their ballad of "My Heart will go On" by Celine Dion from Titanic

Cadets: In the Zone: Part 3 - Hoppy's wild ride! (Ok - I saw that earlier - and that is by far the best idea yet for any 2008 corps show!)

SCV: I can't predict - we already know. 3hree

Bluecoats: Will totally leave the jazz realm and will play music by John Cage

Blue Knights: Will finally stop this "dark" theme they've been doing for 2 years and will play music of John Williams superhero themes.

Boston: Will once again play a show that's good enough to make 9th place in finals, but no one will really remember it.

Colts: Will see a re-surgance and get 7th place with a show based on the music of Leonard Bernstein

Glassmen: Will fall out of finals but play a very entertaining show based on music from kids television shows.

Spirit: Will stay 12th again next year and play a show with the theme being the Sun, and after 08 - will leave JSU and affiliate with Univ. of Alaska.

Madison: Will sneak back into finals in 10th or 11th place going back to their roots. Yes - Malaguena will be on the field in 2008 - you heard it here first!

Academy: Will coast through the 1st half of the year in 12th place, but fall out of finals contention by the end of July - playing music of Richard Saucedo

Bluecoats: Will realize it's a bad, bad, idea to play something that Phantom Regiment is playing the same year, and to be sure they don't make the same mistake - will play 20th century atonal music.

It worked for them in 07 :P

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It worked for them in 07 :P

That does not mean it was a good show though... They deserved to win simply becuase they performed way better than everyone else. But I don't care how clean they are next year, they won't win with another piece of junk show like that again.

I would love to see the SCV show of 1985, Festive Overture and Red Pony. In case folks don't remember or just dont know, this was the changing the pants in marching formation (going through a small tarp tunnel) drill. Simply amazing and especially when they double-timed it. I would like to see this revised as follows:

1. Phantom Regiment do this show

2. Same changing in the tunnel concept, except phantom regiment would change out of white and into black (full uniform) You would have both black and white PR uniforms out on the field at the same time. Imagine the visual effect.

or...

SCV do this show again, but have the battery during their feature march through the tunnel, while playing, and coming out in white pants. (not what they did in the '86 show).

Cadets

The Zone Pt. 3

Mr. Hopkins's Wild Ride!

I was thinking the music of George Michals.A bathroom stall in the middle of the field and the whole guard dressed as undercover cops. :P

I would also love to hear a corps arrange Evanescence's "Hello" that would be yummy good :)

Cadets

The Zone pt 3: Sucked Into the World

a kid who does nothing but play computer games gets sucked into the game...

the very end of the show we hear a dark voice that shouts "Finish him!" and the main character dies and the last chord of the show is followed by "flawless victory..."

then again... maybe not

I still don't see why corps are so afraid to rehash past shows. What would be the consequences? Would anyone actually be against it? So many people would be for it...

I'm wary of some shows being rehashed for a couple of reasons. In some cases, I don't want to hear a great piece of music that worked on the field in the past sped up (or in some cases slowed down) just so that it can be marched at a tempo that makes it competitive. Also, I think the shows that some people want to see rehashed are such monumentally great shows for corps that the expectations for their rehashing tend to be unrealistic. You want something almost universally acknowledged as great to be as good or better than it was when people fell in love with it the first time...that's just asking for failure a lot of times.

That said, one piece of music I'd love to see rehashed on the field would be Belshazzar's Feast. Crown or Phantom, please.

Cadets

The Zone pt 3: Sucked Into the World

a kid who does nothing but play computer games gets sucked into the game...

the very end of the show we hear a dark voice that shouts "Finish him!" and the main character dies and the last chord of the show is followed by "flawless victory..."

then again... maybe not

Were they to do Part 3, I suggest The Wizard of Oz, opening the door into, well...duh. Don't use straight up music from the movie--just a fleeting reference or two (no more than the Twilight Zone theme was used). They could throw in some brief pop culture references too, like Yellow Brick Road by Elton John or Money by Pink Floyd. Characters could be re-worked into a more modern theme. (No animal suits)

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"