Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

Well, perhaps if the Cadets had performed on the hash-less field, and then complained about it on DCP after the fact for the ensuing month, they'd be characterized as "whiners" too. Same standard would apply to Cavaliers, PR, Bluecoats, Crown, SCV and BK, who did perform on the hash-less field....but I don't see anyone from those corps complaining about it after the fact.

They didnt perform on a hashless field. They stopped the show and refused to go on until things were to their satisfaction. Im pointing out the irony of different sets of standards.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly if people didn't want the comparison of DCI to DCA to happen they should never have said "Oh well DCA doesn't need lines why do the Cadets?"

I knew the second this happened some person who doesn't represent the majority of us would say something like this.

Can't say I'm surprised at who it was however.

Bottom Line....Cadet's needed that field to be repainted.

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Aug 16 2007, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bottom Line....Cadet's needed that field to be repainted.

And whether or not they NEEDED it -- they were ENTITLED to it per the rules and agreements drawn up ahead of time. Everyone else was entitled as well and had every right to speak up as well. Would that one of them did, and none of this ridiculous sniping would have occured!!!

They didnt perform on a hashless field. They stopped the show and refused to go on until things were to their satisfaction. Im pointing out the irony of different sets of standards.

Different sets of standards? Why does DCA as an organization not make sure the field is lined for DCA events?

I don't get the irony here at all.

Different sets of standards? Why does DCA as an organization not make sure the field is lined for DCA events?

I don't get the irony here at all.

How about you get information first, THEN give us an opinion?

I'll set the scene for you:

Labor Day Weekend, 2006 in Rochester, NY. The weather, a little bit (sarcasm) windy and rainy as Hurricane Ernesto (which by then was a tropical storm) was passing through. Almost no one in the seats because the weather was bad.

Field Crews were constantly out relining the soccer field which was turf, but the only paint they had requires 30 minute drying times. So, unless it was just painted, you had no yardlines or hash marks. Most of us, got over it. There are some people who still can't stop complaining about it, when we all have settled that sometimes, you gotta go with what Mother Nature gives us. Did we want yard lines and hash marks, yes. Was DCA doing it's best to try and get that. Absolutely 100%.

Edited by Kyle B

What "irony" are you talking about?

They asked to have the hashes painted to the agreed upon specs, as they were not painted at the break as they should have been. How is that "irony"?

Are you saying that the irony is that George cares more for his members than the DCA directors that had their corps march on a dangerous field? I doubt it. I'm sure the DCA directors are as concerned for their members as the DCI directors.

I'm having trouble understanding just what it is you are trying to convey...can you fill me in????

hopkins did the right thing... i performed on that field and I just about went into a panic when i saw there were no hashes.

Consider this. Here's a kid that was marching in a different corps that felt the markings were definately inadequate, to say the least. Though George displayed immature behavior, he was definately on the ball expecting clear markings for his corps. The problem, obviously needed to be addressed WAY before the Cadets came on. DCI should have fixed things properly beforehand and perhaps other directors should've stepped up and alerted the officials of the problem.

Nancy

I think it's really ####### lame to try and compare DCI corps to DCA corps. With the %ages of young kids in DCA corps, if we had rehearsals from 9am-9pm every day of the week we'd be doing the same level of shows.

Truth be told, there's a reason you age out of high demand junior corps when you're 22. It's called "Time to go get a life".

That's where DCA corps come in. You can have a life AND march drum corps. Come on DCA folks, lets not get our panties in a twist. OUr shows are not as demanding as the young'uns. That's just a point of fact.

However, they are demanding enough to need better fields to march on than we get. (Like last years with one freakin' yard line, or in Scranton where it's a baseball field and you've got three muddy bases and a pitcher's mound to contend with) and we seem to do just fine. Put Cadets' show on scranton's baseball field and there would have been some casualties.

You know. I know it. The Man in the Moon knows it.

We are all brothers and sisters in drum corps. Have we run out of stupid reasons to be ###### off at George Hopkins that we now need to start eating each other alive?

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kyle B @ Aug 16 2007, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

How about you get information first, THEN give us an opinion?

I'll set the scene for you:

Labor Day Weekend, 2006 in Rochester, NY. The weather, a little bit (sarcasm) windy and rainy as Hurricane Ernesto (which by then was a tropical storm) was passing through. Almost no one in the seats because the weather was bad.

Field Crews were constantly out relining the soccer field which was turf, but the only paint they had requires 30 minute drying times. So, unless it was just painted, you had no yardlines or hash marks. Most of us, got over it. There are some people who still can't stop complaining about it, when we all have settled that sometimes, you gotta go with what Mother Nature gives us. Did we want yard lines and hash marks, yes. Was DCA doing it's best to try and get that. Absolutely 100%.

Whoa. . .calm down. I have not been the one saying what DCA corps didn't need or didn't have. Again, if noone wants to have this debate, then why is it being brought up? I have nothing against any of you, DCI or DCA. But when a couple of you continue making statements fueld by your hate of Hopkins and div. 1 drum corps, then you are inviting the criticism and debate.

Edited by TXMystreaux

I think it's really ####### lame to try and compare DCI corps to DCA corps. With the %ages of young kids in DCA corps, if we had rehearsals from 9am-9pm every day of the week we'd be doing the same level of shows.

Truth be told, there's a reason you age out of high demand junior corps when you're 22. It's called "Time to go get a life".

That's where DCA corps come in. You can have a life AND march drum corps. Come on DCA folks, lets not get our panties in a twist. OUr shows are not as demanding as the young'uns. That's just a point of fact.

However, they are demanding enough to need better fields to march on than we get. (Like last years with one freakin' yard line, or in Scranton where it's a baseball field and you've got three muddy bases and a pitcher's mound to contend with) and we seem to do just fine. Put Cadets' show on scranton's baseball field and there would have been some casualties.

You know. I know it. The Man in the Moon knows it.

We are all brothers and sisters in drum corps. Have we run out of stupid reasons to be ###### off at George Hopkins that we now need to start eating each other alive?

:drool::doh::doh: