Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

My 2 cents, since this debate still rages on....

I find myself more forgiving of Hopkins' actions than Hopkins himself is. Yes, it would have been better if he noticed the missing hashes earlier, but I don't expect every corps director to be inspecting the field markings five minutes in advance of their performance, given everything else they've got going on.

I'm not sold on the "safety" issue, but for me it's moot. If DCI promised hash marks would be repainted at each break, and that wasn't done, any corps has the right to request that issue be rectified. They don't need to play the "safety" card for justification, IMO.

Now, this DCA-bashing is just as ludicrous as the Hopkins-bashing. I marched in a DCA corps back in the stone-age (1980s), and we were taught to use all the standard field markings as guides to locate sets. Drills back then (at least in my corps) were sufficiently fast and complex so that the absence of those field markings would cause challenges similar to what junior corps would face in the same conditions. Of course, the demand of a DCA drill isn't as frequent or continuous as that of a DCI championship contender - but there are demanding drill sequences in DCA shows.

Gee, for once you and I are in 100% agreement! :P

Picks up heavy-duty umbrella to stop the...er...'fallout' from the flying pigs...

Mike

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI and DCA are not mutually exclusive, and the people bringing it up have marched in both DCI and DCA, so I don't see this "DCA side" you speak of.

Oops...back to disagreeing....I have seen posts from DCA folks comparing the lack of hashes to the DCA prelims downpour of last year in bashing the Cadets.

Hey I'm not going to argue with that point one bit.

Something like that shouldn't have been spouted.

Good. Come to Baltimore sometime, we'll go out and have a beer and I'll tell you all the things you don't want to know about DCA. :P

He won't listen to you. He'll be too blinded by your shirt. :P

Not to the degree that would render field markings irrelevant.

DCI and DCA are not mutually exclusive, and the people bringing it up have marched in both DCI and DCA, so I don't see this "DCA side" you speak of.

In blah blah year at blah blah DCA blah blah, we didn't need no stinkin' hash marks. . .etc.

Oops...back to disagreeing....

It's hard to keep pigs airborne for very long.... :doh:

I have seen posts from DCA folks comparing the lack of hashes to the DCA prelims downpour of last year in bashing the Cadets.

Well, I was filtering out the noise (i.e. the "we don't need no stinking hash marks" posts), and merely meant to point out that the two posters making more credible points have both marched DCI as well as DCA, and thus shouldn't be branded as the "DCA side". Just sayin'....

It's hard to keep pigs airborne for very long.... :doh:

Depends on how large a plate of beans they ate for lunch! :P

Well, I was filtering out the noise (i.e. the "we don't need no stinking hash marks" posts), and merely meant to point out that the two posters making more credible points have both marched DCI as well as DCA, and thus shouldn't be branded as the "DCA side". Just sayin'....

Oh, filtering out the parts where they DID mention DCA specifically...I'd agree that they didn't mention DCA specifically. :P

In blah blah year at blah blah DCA blah blah, we didn't need no stinkin' hash marks. . .etc.

We needed 'em in 2002 at DCA Finals. Unfortunately, the rain during the day (and the mud where the UNCOVERED bases were located) made yard lines and hash marks an issue.

When you have to shift the entire opening set 4-6 steps forwards because the corps can't tell where the hash marks are, I'd say you need 'em.

And if we needed them in '02 DCA, the Cadets definitely needed them in '07 DCI.

I remember noting to myself during the Quarterfinals broadcast that the Cadets opening set was pretty ragged looking. Apparently that was because the members couldn't find the hash marks to mark off the major points in that set.

Look, there are a certain group of people in DCA who complained and complained about the yardlines and hash marks. The rest of us got over it and didn't make a big deal out of it. Guess what category the person who first brought up the whole DCA issue fits into.

Let's drop the DCA thing. Yes, DCA shows are demanding, but no one in DCA who is in their right mind would argue their show is like the Cadets, or Cavaliers or who else. Don't let a certain group of people who will whine and moan about things make you think that is how all DCA is. It's not. We like having fun, and being awesome!

DCA stuff is now dropped. OK